Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Malay / Indonesia on a long layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer

I am looking at a 15 hr layover in SIN on SQ (MAA-SIN-EWR) on a Monday in late September. Flight arrives in SIN around 8 am
My bags will be through checked to EWR. I am a US citizen and know I can enter SIN during my transit as I did this back in May 22
The question is whether I can make a quick day trip to Batam or Johor during my layover? This would mean I would have to re-enter SIN twice and not sure if this is allowed as a transit passenger? Do I have to fill out another arrival card during my day trip?
The reason I want to do this is simple: I've been to Singapore many times, but never been to Malaysia or Indonesia
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:58 pm

You can, but be prepared for traffic on the Johor causeway both ways - you don't want to miss your flight

Batam ferry might be more consistent

Honestly I probably wouldn't do it, too exhausting
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34512964-post2.html
Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
I am looking at a 15 hr layover in SIN on SQ (MAA-SIN-EWR) on a Monday in late September. Flight arrives in SIN around 8 am
My bags will be through checked to EWR. I am a US citizen and know I can enter SIN during my transit as I did this back in May 22
The question is whether I can make a quick day trip to Batam or Johor during my layover? This would mean I would have to re-enter SIN twice and not sure if this is allowed as a transit passenger? Do I have to fill out another arrival card during my day trip?
The reason I want to do this is simple: I've been to Singapore many times, but never been to Malaysia or Indonesia
If you had at least 24h or more, it might be worth it, but you have no idea if going to Batam you can come back on time. Imagine that ferry is canceled and next one is 5h later on tomorrow. Then what?

Until Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia are completely 'back in 2019' and things are running as it was before, I would not do such risky things.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I used to do these things some years back - it may be different now but neither would be my choice for a stop over.

As for immigration - you would have no problems.

To go to JB there is / was a train from Singapore downtown - but it took a while. You can also catch the MRT and walk across the causeway then take a taxi to some shopping malls. My experience at the time was car queues were long but walking had no queues. (Understandably because you need to be mad to do it. I do remember a sign on approaching the Singapore checkpoint that said "importing fireworks is an offence punishable by jail and a caning".)

To go to Batam there is a ferry, but at the other end there isn't much to see. The Indonesia immigration office at the Batam ferry wharf took my passport and fortunately returned it only when I left. If this makes you uneasy you may want to rule Batam out. Once past that I was a sucker for the taxi touts that surrounded me and there was really nothing else to do. I ended up taking a car to a golf club for lunch and a beer and then an early return to the wharf.

Honestly, after both of these experiences (I did JB several times) I would stick in Singapore.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:04 am

From the airport there are Transtar buses to Johor Bharu but I think it's pushing it with 15 hours. What can you do with that short amount of time?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:23 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I wouldn't even risk it for Johor.... I flew in once into Senai, and had a private transfer by car to Bugis.... Monday evening, it took me 2h just to pass the Malaysian border controls... it was crazy.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Thank you all for the suggestions. I agree after reading your comments that this is a bit risky to say the least. I'm in my late 40s and certainly not with the appetite to get stranded hahaha. Thanks for the feedback though
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
Thank you all for the suggestions. I agree after reading your comments that this is a bit risky to say the least. I'm in my late 40s and certainly not with the appetite to get stranded hahaha. Thanks for the feedback though
When you have more time (at least 48h) in Singapore and really want to experience something most locals are not even aware of - take a ferry to Karimun island and stay overnight. Well, if the ferry is still/again operating.

It is 90min one way, leaving from Harborfront. There is (was) 2-3 ferries per day. At Karumun you are transported back by 60 or more years and you can see what 'Indonesian Indonesia' looks like, contrary to Batam. Hotels are like $30 per night and you can go and see local Chinese temples, enjoy seafood at 1/4 of the price of Singapore, see/shop at the night market and even bring back Kueh Lapis. There is really nothing to do - just wander around but enough for 12 hours.

Last and only time I have been there was in 2019 and I am sorry I have not discovered it earlier during my 10 years living in Singapore. And it was the only place you could go during National Day 4 day holiday without being stuck 12 hours on a border crossing and pay 4x of the price of an ordinary ticket...
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:07 pm

Deleted

Last edited by trooper; Jan 16, 2023 at 11:13 pm Reason: More info found...
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:42 pm

not much to see in Batam. For foods, Singapore also has the similar foods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.