Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singaporean Food (Laksa and Chicken Rice) and late night suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I know there are lots of websites with suggestions on where to go and get the best laksa and chicken rice. I want to hear from the community here as to where your favorites are. What about late-night food? Back in May, I went to the Newton Food Centre to get a late night Laksa. The cook at the stall said she was opened 24 hours. I was surprised. It wasn't the best Laksa that I've had, but it's tough to find options at midnight.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:23 am

Not exactly what you're asking, but prima taste is very good instant noodle laksa. Their shop doesnt ship to USA due to USDA regulations but you can find it in USA asian supermarkets (not sure why). They also have other sauces (eg hainese chicken rice)

https://www.primataste.com/shop-onli...sa-lamian.html

;(note the one review about someone complaining that it tastes like cat food)
Amazon Amazon

https://www.fairprice.com.sg/product...-370g-11008200
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Not exactly what you're asking, but prima taste is very good instant noodle laksa. Their shop doesnt ship to USA due to USDA regulations but you can find it in USA asian supermarkets (not sure why). They also have other sauces (eg hainese chicken rice)

https://www.primataste.com/shop-onli...sa-lamian.html

;(note the one review about someone complaining that it tastes like cat food)
https://www.amazon.com/Prima-Taste-L...ws_feature_div

https://www.fairprice.com.sg/product...-370g-11008200
Thank you!

Still want to hear your suggestions on restaurants though!
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at this thread:
Places to eat in Singapore
Also see:
Everything About Chilli Crab In Singapore
Restaurant Recommendations in Singapore
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You can first try two places without leaving Changi - Staff Canteen in T1 and Food court at the B2 at T3 to see if they have laksa.

Note: all my information and experience is from pre-Covid, I left Singapore a year ago when Changi was a scene from a zombie apocalypse and have no idea what the situation now looks like.

P.S. If you will have time during the day, Sungei Road Laksa is the place to visit. Please note that the wait time can be 20-45min.
fluffymitten and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Both staff canteens are fully open again, and the airport has come back to life! (along with Jewel!)
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
You can first try two places without leaving Changi - Staff Canteen in T1 and Food court at the B2 at T3 to see if they have laksa.

Note: all my information and experience is from pre-Covid, I left Singapore a year ago when Changi was a scene from a zombie apocalypse and have no idea what the situation now looks like.

P.S. If you will have time during the day, Sungei Road Laksa is the place to visit. Please note that the wait time can be 20-45min.
Is the staff canteen and food court opened during the night?

Anyone else here with suggestions? Where to get late-night laksa and chicken rice? Late as in between 10 PM and 5 AM?

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Both staff canteens are fully open again, and the airport has come back to life! (along with Jewel!)
​​​​​​​Is Jewel open 24/7? Is there anything to do over there between 10 PM and 5 AM?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare

Anyone else here with suggestions? Where to get late-night laksa and chicken rice? Late as in between 10 PM and 5 AM?

​​​​​​​Is Jewel open 24/7? Is there anything to do over there between 10 PM and 5 AM?
https://www.changiairport.com/en/din...enly-wang.html

heavenly wang supposedly is open (changiairport.com has mismatching info though, eg A&W is flagged as 24/7 but closes at 11pm now)
the do have laksa on their menu but don't know if they serve limited menu overnight

even pre-covid, jewel basically has nothing to do overnight (shops/attractions closed, rainforest stopped). you can walk around and burn calories?

you can try to see how up-to-date this page is? they published it July 2022
https://ahboy.com/where-to-eat-late-...-in-singapore/
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.changiairport.com/en/din...enly-wang.html

heavenly wang supposedly is open (changiairport.com has mismatching info though, eg A&W is flagged as 24/7 but closes at 11pm now)
the do have laksa on their menu but don't know if they serve limited menu overnight

even pre-covid, jewel basically has nothing to do overnight (shops/attractions closed, rainforest stopped). you can walk around and burn calories?

you can try to see how up-to-date this page is? they published it July 2022
https://ahboy.com/where-to-eat-late-...-in-singapore/
I've never been to the Jewel before. Heck, I don't quite know what it is other than it's an attraction at Changi.

I'm guessing Singapore doesn't have a whole lot of late-night options?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:29 pm

I've never been to the Jewel before. Heck, I don't quite know what it is other than it's an attraction at Changi.
It's basically a fancy mall with a lot of wow attractions (waterfall/rain vortex/light show, canopy walk/maze/indoor jungle,...), And it just happens to be at an airport.

Well, public transportation (subway/bus) basically stops after midnight/1am. So that puts some limits on potential size of late night crowd , plus COVID causing issues with staffing/manpower. There's definitely plenty of late night options, just not as explored/well-researched/popular as your non-late-night Michelin-star laksa (or famous hawker center hainese chicken rice). Some target nightclub crowd, some are more neighborhood centric (students studying overnight, people at home cat sleep and hungry etc).

eg, try googling your newton circus 24/7 laksa from your first post, think you can find info about it?
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there is a 24-hour food court available in the airport, Level B2 in Terminal 3. Just follow the signs or ask staff. (The staff canteens are not open 24 hours.)

Is Jewel open 24/7? Is there anything to do over there between 10 PM and 5 AM?
Yes, Jewel is open 24/7. Plenty of areas to wander and enjoy the view! The shops and restaurants close overnight, so you will need to walk over to the airport terminals for food options very late or very early.
kevino likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Singapore has plenty of late-night options. They are at bus terminals.
lsquare and Cryofern like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
How do I access the staff canteen? Would they allow me in when the see me with my rollaboard carryon?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fbrdky
How do I access the staff canteen? Would they allow me in when the see me with my rollaboard carryon?
Yes, the staff canteens are open to the public. But the prices are (slightly) higher for the public. Still very reasonably priced.
kevino and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, the staff canteens are open to the public. But the prices are (slightly) higher for the public. Still very reasonably priced.
What are the hours of operations?

Originally Posted by invisible
Singapore has plenty of late-night options. They are at bus terminals.
​​​​​​​What are your favorites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.