Wiki Posts
Search

MRT Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

MRT Singapore

I will be staying overnight in Singapore
I understand that Standard tickets are no longer sold.
I believe I have to get a SimplyGo EZ-Link card ??
I am arriving Singapore at 6am in September which is 2 hours before the Ticket sales open (according to website), how can I purchase a ticket or pass if I want to travel from Changi airport to Bugis.
On the way home we have a very late flight and would arrive at the airport at around 10pm, too late to get the deposit (on the card if any).
What is the best way of getting suitable MRT tickets/card if I am there for only 2 days in total?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:39 am
TDV

You should be able to use a contactless Visa/MC to tap in and tap out of the MRT instead of getting an EZ Link card.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted by TDV, you can just use a contactless credit card.
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltago...r_journey.html
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/l...8pp_%20Eng.pdf
tbm13 and allset2travel like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I believe that not all cards work but Apple Pay does. I used this method last time I was in Singapore and it worked well.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I believe that not all cards work but Apple Pay does. I used this method last time I was in Singapore and it worked well.
ApplePay works well (for MC and Visa cards), even if tapping the physical card might not. (I believe that some physical cards need to be registered with MRT for them to work, but Apple Pay bypasses the need to register.)
sydunipete, lsquare and tbm13 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
In relation to the tap on Visa/Mastercard, how can this work for families, who don't all have their own credit/debit cards?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
In relation to the tap on Visa/Mastercard, how can this work for families, who don't all have their own credit/debit cards?
For MRT, The standard card = one or two trip only. This standard card is going away.

For tourist families, they can either buy ezlink card ($12, $5 card cost and $7 value on card), or buy a tourist card (unlimited rides for x days)

Don't forget that you get charged $0.60/day when using a foreign contactless card to pay for MRT/bus in Singapore
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Been a couple of years since I was in Singapore (common problem?)
I have a stored value card probably with a few dollars value left on it. What are the chances it will let me "top it up" when in Singapore I start wandering
Fred
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Been a couple of years since I was in Singapore (common problem?)
I have a stored value card probably with a few dollars value left on it. What are the chances it will let me "top it up" when in Singapore I start wandering
Fred
You can either use the ez-link app or https://customer.ezlink.com.sg/Custo...k-Card-Expiry/ to check whether the card has expired (use the CAN # on the back of the card). If it's not expired, you should still be able to use it. If it has already expired you can go to a ticket office to get the remaining value refunded but they may charge you a few bucks for a new card.
oopl likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Thank you
My EZlink card is/was well and truly expired. Will be replaced for inexpensive Singapore wandering
Fred
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Am I reading it correctly on the MRT site that kids fares don't exist for the traveler card? And it goes from free (below 0.9m) to full fare?

We need 3 day passes for 2 adults, 2 young kids and 1 <0.9m toddler.

We plan on going from Copthorn to the zoo and back one day, a day around the tourist spots (bay area etc) and a day at universal.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:11 pm

Am I reading it correctly on the MRT site that kids fares don't exist for the traveler card? And it goes from free (below 0.9m) to full fare?

We plan on going from Copthorn to the zoo and back one day, a day around the tourist spots (bay area etc) and a day at universal.
public transport to zoo isn't that great (mrt then bus). Might suggest grab6 seater (if you can supply your own car seat). Might have some private bus options too.

if your child is over 0.9m but under 7, then you can get a free child concession card. Otherwise full adult fare (or full adult day pass)
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You need one card (either visa/mc or Ezlink/Nets Flashpay) per person. You can't use the same card for more than one person to tap in/out.

Correct, for kids which are not local. So in your case, you will need 4 individual cards.

With three kids you'd better get gojek/grab rideshare apps and use them to get to the zoo and back. It is a serious hassle trying to get there by public transport - trust me, I lived in Singapore >10 years and have been to the zoo a dozen times.

Only two buses go there and you need to travel all the way end to the Red Line's MRT stations to get on bus or shuttle from there. It will take 1.5h one way and does not worth the savings of SGD $10 - from your hotel Grab probably would cost $15-$18 during off-peak hours and you will be there in 20 min.

Seriously - get grab/gojek/taxi to get to/from the Zoo - there are only few places in Singapore without good public transportation access and Zoo is one of them.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 12, 2022 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by paperwastage
For MRT, The standard card = one or two trip only. This standard card is going away.
Don't forget that you get charged $0.60/day when using a foreign contactless card to pay for MRT/bus in Singapore
This is not a very "friendly" consumer move especially for tourist. What would be the recommendation if I will be in SG for about 2.5 days and most probably using the service 4 times per day.

Cheers!
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nldogbert
This is not a very "friendly" consumer move especially for tourist.
Do you think they care?
Originally Posted by nldogbert
What would be the recommendation if I will be in SG for about 2.5 days and most probably using the service 4 times per day.

Cheers!
Well, you will be charged $3 more for your usage of public transport using VISA/MC cards.

Is this a serious financial burden for you?
Scifience likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.