Wiki Posts
Search

international business travel "bubble" now taking applications

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
international business travel "bubble" now taking applications

This is quite interesting: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...changi-airport

My suspicion is that almost no one will take part in this, because you might as well just video conference instead of this. Curious to hear others' thoughts, and I'll be following the media to see how successful this is.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I expect them to have the same level of success as Thailand has with Covid policies in relation to tourism arrivals.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Doubtful it will get much traction and as invisible replied, results will likely be similar to the Thai STV program.

ETA: Forgot to mention I’ve optimistically booked a vacation to Singapore in Nov this year. Hoping things will start opening up by then!
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by samplat; Mar 1, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Old Feb 27, 2021, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JNelson113
This is quite interesting: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...changi-airport

My suspicion is that almost no one will take part in this, because you might as well just video conference instead of this. Curious to hear others' thoughts, and I'll be following the media to see how successful this is.
What does the article say? It seems to be behind a paywall.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does the article say? It seems to be behind a paywall.
Sorry, it worked well for me. Anyway, Singapore has started a program in which you can arrive as a business traveler and hold meetings, but only in a specially designed facility. You have to have approval in advance and you are sealed off and behind glass for your meetings. Your Singaporean counterparts are on the other side of the glass from you. Think prison visiting and no chance to get out and see the wonders of Singapore itself. Most of us here think that this will be quite a failure, but they have put a lot of money into it. Maybe you can read this article: https://www.connectedtoindia.com/sin...lers-8921.html
samplat and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by samplat
ETA: Forgot to mention I’ve optimistically booked a vacation to Singapore in Nov this year. Hoping things will start opening up by then!
There was a poll/discussion in a local Singaporean Telegram chat group of 10k people who travel(ed, because not a single of them left Singapore since Mar last year), collect miles and points.

Well, majority of above chat group (>70%) does not expect that Singapore will be open until second half of 2022. Or at least until 90% of the local population is vaccinated.

Give or take. I am not saying that it will be like this but key for happiness - low expectations.

P.S. On subject note - if they are going to feed these ‘visitors’ the same food as they serve these in hotel jail, well good luck.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 1, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Sorry, it worked well for me. Anyway, Singapore has started a program in which you can arrive as a business traveler and hold meetings, but only in a specially designed facility. You have to have approval in advance and you are sealed off and behind glass for your meetings. Your Singaporean counterparts are on the other side of the glass from you. Think prison visiting and no chance to get out and see the wonders of Singapore itself. Most of us here think that this will be quite a failure, but they have put a lot of money into it. Maybe you can read this article: https://www.connectedtoindia.com/sin...lers-8921.html
Fortunately, the main wonder of Singapore is SIN itself...
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Fortunately, the main wonder of Singapore is SIN itself...
I also have this sneaking suspicion that they'd meet you as you disembark the plane, encase you in plastic, and march you right to your sealed hotel room, from which you would only move to the sealed meeting room.

Sounds like a blast. I really hope that they tell us how many people actually do meetings this way.
samplat and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by samplat
Doubtful it will get much traction and as invisible replied, results will likely be similar to the Thai STV program.

Count me in the optimistically booked group. Hoping to be in Singapore for Chinese New Year and grabbed award space in business class while it's available (Cathay over/EVA back). Hotel redemption rates are really good right now too. Worst case scenario is I have to pay to redeposit the flight awards. I think once countries announce firm reopening dates award seats are going to vanish quickly (maybe even paid ones too).
JNelson113 and samplat like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beetles
I think once countries announce firm reopening dates award seats are going to vanish quickly (maybe even paid ones too).
And if countries suddenly close if a new variant from Paranoia emerges, then all these award seats will be canceled.

P.S. Nothing is and will be ‘firm’ from now on until Covid is eradicated worldwide (hello SG/HK travel bubble) or whole earth population is vaccinated. Which pretty much is the same.

And if covid is conquered, who guarantees that new super-dooper virus is not coming tomorrow?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:05 pm

I also have this sneaking suspicion that they'd meet you as you disembark the plane, encase you in plastic, and march you right to your sealed hotel room, from which you would only move to the sealed meeting room.
You joke but these transit pax who are allowed to transit thru SIN are not allowed to go to airside- they are marched directly into their departure box from the plane.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
And if countries suddenly close if a new variant from Paranoia emerges, then all these award seats will be canceled.

P.S. Nothing is and will be ‘firm’ from now on until Covid is eradicated worldwide (hello SG/HK travel bubble) or whole earth population is vaccinated. Which pretty much is the same.

And if covid is conquered, who guarantees that new super-dooper virus is not coming tomorrow?
Thank you for your opinion. I'm not here to argue.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beetles
Thank you for your opinion. I'm not here to argue.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

We joke around a lot and I am certain that wasn't directed at you personally. Just speculation.

I am dying to go back to Singapore and not under travel bubble circumstances either. I have optimism that you will be able to vacation normally by Chinese New Year 2022. Fingers crossed for us all!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
You joke but these transit pax who are allowed to transit thru SIN are not allowed to go to airside- they are marched directly into their departure box from the plane.
I suspected that so my comment wasn't *THAT* much of a joke!!!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:49 pm

I am dying to go back to Singapore and not under travel bubble circumstances either. I have optimism that you will be able to vacation normally by Chinese New Year 2022. Fingers crossed for us all!
Hey, ping me when/if you finally make here.

I am not optimistic that I will be in Singapore by then, due to very serious changes in local labor market and hiring foreigners, but otherwise would be happy to meet.
JNelson113 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.