Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Arrivals in Singapore in February

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Tourist Arrivals in Singapore in February

Wondering if anyone has been thru Singapore this month. Are the tourist arrivals majorly down ? Have a work trip scheduled for early March. Half expecting them to postpone it in light of the ongoing Coronavirus issue.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:42 am

I was just there last Tuesday. Didn't seem any less crowded than usual.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Changi arrivals were emptier than I've seen them in a long time at two occasions I landed back in Singapore in the past 10 days. Also, my company (an MNC) is canceling/postponing all events in the region due to take place in March.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
My sister-in-law coming from Holland tomorrow. in Raffles Place I don't see any less people. On city bus there were a dozen German tourists going to Sentosa and Cable Car.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:42 am

I should add that tour service companies in Malaysia and Japan were bemoaning the lack of Chinese tourists during the busiest time of the year, the Lunar New Year. The coronavirus is devastating the tour industry in the region.

Having said that, the Singapore Airlines "Private Room," which is only supposed to be for First-Class Suite flyers, was a zoo when we visited close to midnight on Tuesday. Of course, it was filled with Europeans, Australians, and Japanese.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:49 pm

I arrived T4 saturday and departed T1 sunday. T4 seemed about normal and T1 maybe a tiny bit down (but lounge just as busy as normal). I went through BKK a week earlier and that was very noticeably quiet, about half the travellers that I'd expect.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
According to reports it's a big number. Definitely visible by just walking around the bay.

Singapore's visitor arrivals down by about 20,000 a day amid coronavirus outbreak

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...virus-outbreak
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
My daily bus ride goes by the Merlion, and the last few weeks there has definitely been far fewer visitors there than usual. Probably 75% less.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:14 pm

I've been hearing that some companies in CBD are now encouraging staff to work from home, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were fewer people taking public transport at rush hour.

Inbound traffic has definitely been affected (not specifically tourism). I've heard of major events being cancelled as a result.

The airshow was apparently quieter than usual
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I've been hearing that some companies in CBD are now encouraging staff to work from home, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were fewer people taking public transport at rush hour.
During lunch hour at Raffles Place area I have not seen any less people. The same applies at Pagoda st and surroundings at Chinatown area.
What is really different - number of people at Arcade at money changers. During lunch break usually there are lines everywhere regardless of the day. Yesterday and day before it was very quiet there.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:33 am

That'll be part of the dual team set-up suggested by the government to enable continuity and reduce the risk of a whole company going down.
My wife's company on the other hand (huge US multi-national) has taken the extremely precautious step of making everybody work from home until further notice.
My company on the other hand say come in even if DORSCON goes red and just do the split team thing. I'm a nobody, hence expendable
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
I arrived in Singapore yesterday and the airport seemed quieter than usual although maybe I was lucky with my timing. The hotel I always use also seems quieter, as is Clarke Quay on a Saturday night!

* I'm not strictly a tourist though as this is (mostly) a business trip.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't see Singapore hotel prices dropping. In fact, they seem higher than normal for the coming 10 weeks or so. Maybe occupancy levels are not that low.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
During lunch hour at Raffles Place area I have not seen any less people. The same applies at Pagoda st and surroundings at Chinatown area.
What is really different - number of people at Arcade at money changers. During lunch break usually there are lines everywhere regardless of the day. Yesterday and day before it was very quiet there.
Interesting. I wonder what it's like at MBFC.

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
That'll be part of the dual team set-up suggested by the government to enable continuity and reduce the risk of a whole company going down.
My wife's company on the other hand (huge US multi-national) has taken the extremely precautious step of making everybody work from home until further notice.
My company on the other hand say come in even if DORSCON goes red and just do the split team thing. I'm a nobody, hence expendable
LOL ... I just hope you are all keeping safe and healthy.

So my question to both of you is, when do you think the situation will be back to relative normality?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:58 pm

Interesting. I wonder what it's like at MBFC.
MBFC is still busy during lunchtimes and in the evenings afterwork especially the bars as per usual

LOL ... I just hope you are all keeping safe and healthy.
My lifestyle and routine hasn't changed one bit. I'm doing everything I used to do and don't give it a second thought not to go somewhere because of covid-19.
I actually feel very safe here what with all the precautions taking place. We're in as much as a controlled environment as we can get, which re-assures me.

So my question to both of you is, when do you think the situation will be back to relative normality?
Tricky one to call. I don't expect things to return to normal until at least the summertime, when the virus will naturally subside (if scientist are to be believed).
Singapore however I feel as a cautious nation and as it's been the main gateway to the spread after China I feel will only truly return to normal once the virus is under control. I think if they drop DORSCON back to yellow things will be back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.