Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Are there body scanners in Singapore airports ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Are there body scanners in use in Singapore when you're not flying to the US or Australia?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FlyingMonsieur
Are there body scanners in use in Singapore when you're not flying to the US or Australia?
Not I've seen them. But why do you ask?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingMonsieur
I think there are now in Terminal 4.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
Yes, Terminal 4 is now using body scanners at the centralised security.

They are also being progressively introduced to the other terminals - they can be found at the "hub gates" in T1/2/3 now and will be rolled out across the smaller gates as time goes on.

At a cost of $180k USD per machine - I imagine it'll be a slow and painful rollout (92 gates across T1/2/3!)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:37 am

How slower are they comparing to ordinary metal detectors?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by invisible
How slower are they comparing to ordinary metal detectors?
Body scanners are at least 5 times slower then metal detectors.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Great, I cannot go through the backscatter machines (but regular metal detector is ok) due to an implanted medical device. Is this type of machines they are using? This issue was the main reason I got TSA Pre, to avoid the manual pat down every time I flew because I had to refuse the scan.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Great, I cannot go through the backscatter machines (but regular metal detector is ok) due to an implanted medical device. Is this type of machines they are using? This issue was the main reason I got TSA Pre, to avoid the manual pat down every time I flew because I had to refuse the scan.
Well, your choices are either complying with requirements or not to travel to Singapore.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:06 pm

Well, your choices are either complying with requirements or not to travel to Singapore.

This isn't some kind of political stand I am trying to make you get that right? They have to offer some kind of alternative screening for people who literally cannot go through these machines without seriously compromising their health. Does anyone know what is it for people like me? Maybe a pat down?

The going into SIN wont be a problem since I will go through security at LAX. It will be the going through SIN a few days later when we go to BKK. We will also transit through SIN after another in country flight from HKT back to the US.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Nov 18, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:13 am

This isn't some kind of political stand I am trying to make you get that right?
Let me be a little bit more elaborate on this - I assume you do have legitimate medical reason and are not one of these with tinfoil hats. I was not going to take political route, but to raise awareness of situation here.

Unless you clarify your situation in advance with Singapore ICA (immigrations and customs authority) and have some written letter/message from them so you can present it when you arrive at Changi, if you try to refuse going thru scanner at the gate you obviously won't get to flight and it will immediately raise suspicion. And then, depending how paranoid local personnel is, especially in the light that everywhere in the city are now posters 'what to do during terrorist attack' - they might want to further question you.

So you have an option either to get sorted everything beforehand or depart Singapore via other means - land, boat where these machines are not deployed. What I wanted to say that I would not recommend doing nothing in advance and then refuse going thru scanner at the gate.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Medical device ID

My mother was issued a medical device card which ID'd her as someone with internal medical device and has been bypassed at all airport scanners including older metal detectors for pat-downs.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 19, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Unless you clarify your situation in advance with Singapore ICA (immigrations and customs authority) and have some written letter/message from them so you can present it when you arrive at Changi, if you try to refuse going thru scanner at the gate you obviously won't get to flight and it will immediately raise suspicion.
This is utter nonsense.

If you cannot -- or do not wish -- to go through the full-body scan, you can opt out. Lots of folks fall into this category -- medically exempt, pregnant, too young, other issues, etc... No one at Changi is going to freak out if you politely say you are opting out. You will be sent to the regular metal detector and then given a full pat-down/wand exam. This is no different than how the TSA handles it. I know this because I have just spoken to executives at CAG and CAAS and both confirmed that this is the case.

To the OP: travel to Singapore without worry, and enjoy your trip.
1readyset2go likes this.

Last edited by crazycrab955; Nov 19, 2017 at 7:10 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
This is utter nonsense.

If you cannot -- or do not wish -- to go through the full-body scan, you can opt out. Lots of folks fall into this category -- medically exempt, pregnant, too young, other issues, etc... No one at Changi is going to freak out if you politely say you are opting out. You will be sent to the regular metal detector and then given a full pat-down/wand exam. This is no different than how the TSA handles it. I know this because I have just spoken to executives at CAG and CAAS and both confirmed that this is the case.

To the OP: travel to Singapore without worry, and enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the answer finally! I appreciate it as we have never been anywhere in Asia and I know Singapore is pretty strict about a number of things. I have never had a problem in Europe or the states especially now that I have GE and Pre. I do not know this was going to turn into this for such a simple question.

Unless you clarify your situation in advance with Singapore ICA (immigrations and customs authority) and have some written letter/message from them so you can present it when you arrive at Changi, if you try to refuse going thru scanner at the gate you obviously won't get to flight and it will immediately raise suspicion. And then, depending how paranoid local personnel is, especially in the light that everywhere in the city are now posters 'what to do during terrorist attack' - they might want to further question you.

So you have an option either to get sorted everything beforehand or depart Singapore via other means - land, boat where these machines are not deployed. What I wanted to say that I would not recommend doing nothing in advance and then refuse going thru scanner at the gate.

Maybe Invisible is not aware there are millions of people that literally cannot go through these machines without causing harm to themselves due to a medical device that is inside there body. I am not sure why that is so hard to understand? I cannot even have any type of MRI either, it would fry the device. This is a pretty common thing for any airport to deal with. I obviously need this for health reasons I won't go into. They don't surgically implant these just to piss off security and you do not get your travel privileges revoked when one has a medical device implanted. This device would be compromised by the backscatter type machine, as the manufacturer (Medtronic) states on the ID card they issued me with me surgeons name on it. I suppose I could get a letter too, is that really necessary? And send them a letter in advance, are you kidding?

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Nov 19, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Thanks for the answer finally! I appreciate it as we have never been anywhere in Asia and I know Singapore is pretty strict about a number of things.
Unless you spit everywhere in public, intend to traffic in illegal drugs, or drop your trousers and do a #2 in the middle of the street, you have very little to worry about in Singapore. And, for what it is worth, the airport security and immigration folks are a whole lot friendlier and personable than the TSA or USCIS power-trippers.

The "strictness" is massively overplayed and misunderstood by foreign media, who love to caricature a place. It's a tiresome and misguided meme. Draw your own conclusions after you've visited.

I suppose I could get a letter too, is that really necessary? And send them a letter in advance, are you kidding?
No. Totally unnecessary. People here are friendly and practical; if you tell the security personnel at the airport that you cannot go through the full-body scan due to a medical condition, they will understand and accommodate you without batting an eyelash. Travel with confidence and don't spend another minute worrying about it.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I emailed the contact address on the Changi website and asked if, similar to the US, whether a passenger could opt out of the body scanner. I did not say anything about medical conditions.

They replied:

Dear Zorak,

Thank you for your email.

Should you wish to opt out of using the bodyscanner at security screening, please inform the security officer on duty. You will be directed to our Walk-Thru-Metal Detector followed by a pat down after.

Yours sincerely

A.....Y.....
Senior Manager Avsec
Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.