Wiki Posts
Search

Older hotels in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Older hotels in Singapore

Was curious to know which all are the older hotels in singapore (been around for say 30 odd years) from the big chains such as Hilton, Marriott, IHG etc..

This would be excluding the obvious ones such as The Raffles and The Fullerton which would qualify more as Heritage hotels. You typically make out which are the ones that have been around for longer when the room sizes are larger than the prevailing norm.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
Was curious to know which all are the older hotels in singapore (been around for say 30 odd years) from the big chains such as Hilton, Marriott, IHG etc..

This would be excluding the obvious ones such as The Raffles and The Fullerton which would qualify more as Heritage hotels. You typically make out which are the ones that have been around for longer when the room sizes are larger than the prevailing norm.
Room size is not always a good gauge. Some of the new 5-star properties still have very big rooms.

I've only listed the 5-star hotels here.

Hotels in Heritage Buildings (including some recently opened ones)
Raffles Hotel
Goodwood Park
Fullerton
Fullerton Bay
Sofitel So

Some of the chain hotels in singapore built in the 80s (maybe 1-2 in the 70s)
Grand Hyatt (then Hyatt Regency, in 1971)
Regent (then InterContinental)
Hilton
Marriott (then Dynasty Hotel)
Fairmont Singapore (then Westin Plaza)
Swissotel the Stamford (then Westin Stamford)
Sheraton
Mandarin Orchard
Marina Mandarin
Pan Pacific
Mandarin Oriental
Shangri-La
Royal Plaza on Scotts

These were built in the 1990s.
InterContinental
Ritz Carlton
Conrad
Four Seasons

Then Fullerton opened in 2001, and then there were only 2 5-star hotel openings (St Regis and Crowne Plaza in 2008) until MBS and Resorts World and the floodgates pretty much opened.

Last edited by SQ319; Oct 9, 2016 at 9:03 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? Before MBS, there was StR and Westin opened around the same time. There's also the Hyatt from I would guess the late 1990s.

There have also been some boutique hotels before MBS, plus of course the Crowne Plaza at SIN and the Sentosa resorts.

Also, isn't part of the IC in a
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Before MBS, there was StR and Westin opened around the same time. There's also the Hyatt from I would guess the late 1990s.

There have also been some boutique hotels before MBS, plus of course the Crowne Plaza at SIN and the Sentosa resorts.

Also, isn't part of the IC in a
St Regis and Crowne Plaza opened in 2008. You're right and I've corrected that.

Westin opened in 2013.

Sentosa resorts - which one? Capella opened in 2009, but isn't really part of a major chain. Amara Sanctuary - not really a chain either.

Hyatt opened way back.

OP asked for chain hotels, so I've only listed either global or regional chains.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
St Regis and Crowne Plaza opened in 2008. You're right and I've corrected that.

Westin opened in 2013.

Sentosa resorts - which one? Capella opened in 2009, but isn't really part of a major chain. Amara Sanctuary - not really a chain either.

Hyatt opened way back.

OP asked for chain hotels, so I've only listed either global or regional chains.
Thanks for the informative list..Is interesting to know how the hotels hold up in a competitive & constantly evolving market like Singapore.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
1991 Beaufort Hotel -> 2003 The Sentosa Resort and Spa -> 2015 Sofitel Sentosa Resort and Spa
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
Holiday Inn Atrium (former Concorde Hotel)
Hotel Jen Tanglin (former Traders)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vogriphach
Isn't there a Concorde hotel on orchard road as well ?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:46 am

Isn't there a Concorde hotel on orchard road as well ?
Yes that was the former Le Meridien, rebranded as Concorde after 2010. The Holiday Inn Atrium was rebranded from Concorde in 2005.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Would anyone know in which year the Marriott & the Regent originally opened up in Singapore ?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:31 pm

Would anyone know in which year the Marriott & the Regent originally opened up in Singapore ?
Marriott - 1982 as Dynasty Hotel
Regent - 1970s as the InterContinental (I think, don't have the exact date, but it was the hotel my housekeeper first worked in as a room attendant 40 years ago).

Why do you need this information?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vogriphach
There's the Millennium/Copthorne along the river near the HI Atrium.

I'm not sure whether Design Hotels should count as chain; they're part of Starwood now.

IIRC there's a W Sentosa.

Also, IIRC part of the IC is in historic buildings. I believe some suites are located in former shophouses on the grounds of the IC.

Also for historic buildings, there are some boutique hotels around Chinatown that seem to be in historic buildings.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
Marriott - 1982 as Dynasty Hotel
Regent - 1970s as the InterContinental (I think, don't have the exact date, but it was the hotel my housekeeper first worked in as a room attendant 40 years ago).

Why do you need this information?
Was compiling a little list of some of these older hotels across Asia. Purely out of my own interest. It's fascinating how some of these hotels have stood thru an ever changing hotel landscape. My late grandparents traveled extensively as well back in the day and have stayed at the some of the aforementioned hotels as well, thereby making it more interesting for me...
dsgtc0408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.