Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration/Customs with Hotel in JB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Immigration/Customs with Hotel in JB

How's the process crossing into JB via taxi? I get into SIN via Delta at midnight and my hotel is in JB due to the significant cost savings. Always in past stayed in SIN, but couldn't ethically bill a client the enormous amount extra just to justify not crossing a border. Plus I'll even get the Penthouse/Presidential Suite for less then the cost of a regular room in SIN.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How's the process crossing into JB via taxi? I get into SIN via Delta at midnight and my hotel is in JB due to the significant cost savings. Always in past stayed in SIN, but couldn't ethically bill a client the enormous amount extra just to justify not crossing a border. Plus I'll even get the Penthouse/Presidential Suite for less then the cost of a regular room in SIN.
Are you intending to commute from JB to SIN, or is the client in JB? By all accounts, the congestion is abysmal. Can you really find nothing in Singapore that works?

The Ibis Novena is £51 (so US$70) on Kayak for a random weekday in September.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Regarding question - only certain taxis can take you across causeway from either side. If my information is correct, one way would cost you minimum SGD $55, you need to book special taxi and that taxi can take you only to certain places in Johor.
http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-johor-bahru/

Now other matter - as it was already commented - this setup is very unusual. Do you have any experience crossing the causeway during busy hours? Do you know what it is looks like? If not, you should expect that at certain times cressing might take at least one hour one way due to standing in lines for passport control and buses. At the end you might have to spend daily at least 3-3.5h in commute.

If it is not too late, I would suggest to cancel your hotel reservation in Johor and find something reasonable in Singapore. And that does not need to be 5* - there are options to find reasonable accommodation within SGD 120/night.

If for your client 120/night is too expensive, I would suggest not to deal with them. Seriously.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by invisible
Regarding question - only certain taxis can take you across causeway from either side. If my information is correct, one way would cost you minimum SGD $55, you need to book special taxi and that taxi can take you only to certain places in Johor.
http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-johor-bahru/

Now other matter - as it was already commented - this setup is very unusual. Do you have any experience crossing the causeway during busy hours? Do you know what it is looks like? If not, you should expect that at certain times cressing might take at least one hour one way due to standing in lines for passport control and buses. At the end you might have to spend daily at least 3-3.5h in commute.

If it is not too late, I would suggest to cancel your hotel reservation in Johor and find something reasonable in Singapore. And that does not need to be 5* - there are options to find reasonable accommodation within SGD 120/night.

If for your client 120/night is too expensive, I would suggest not to deal with them. Seriously.
The client is a non-profit, and is actually lives on the JB side. If it was for the length I'm going to be there, I'd had them come across and stay in Singapore. This is about a month long stay.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The client is a non-profit, and is actually lives on the JB side. If it was for the length I'm going to be there, I'd had them come across and stay in Singapore. This is about a month long stay.
So staying in JB makes perfect sense, both for the proximity to the client and - without wanting to jump to conclusions - that as a non-profit any expenses would be better incurred in that country rather than one across the border.

As for getting from Changi to the hotel in JB, if I'm not mistaken that would need two taxis owing to local rules, although a privately arranged limo type service could do it in one go.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
How's the process crossing into JB via taxi? I get into SIN via Delta at midnight and my hotel is in JB due to the significant cost savings.
I presume you will spend at least the first night in SIN.

Normal/regular SIN taxis aren't allowed to take you across the border, only the special cross-border ones that invisible mentioned. You can grab a normal taxi from your SIN hotel, tell the driver "Queen Street Taxi/Bus terminal," and switch to the cross-border taxi there (s$48 for the whole taxi, or s$12/person if you're Ok to share with others in the queue).

However these taxi's can only drop you off at the Larkin terminal in JB, which is quite a bit out of the city. From there you'd need to switch to another local taxi to your final destination, which can be quite a problem in itself with the local drivers quoting you cut throat foreigner prices.

I'd bite the bullet and just pay a bit more for a private hire car (+driver) service which can do door-to-door on both sides.

Or maybe try this one -- http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...and-johor-baru
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the impression that you could do this with two taxis, not three.

http://www.taxisingapore.com/singapore-to-malaysia/

So you could take a taxi from the airport to the Malaysian rank in town and go from there to your hotel, or otherwise you could book a taxi to collect you at the airport & take you to Larkin, then get another taxi from there to your hotel.

The former would probably have better transparency.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
If you are traveling light, the bus might be faster especially with the causeway jam.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/tran...hor-bahru.html

As for the regular taxi plying the Singapore to JB route, yes, Queen St in Singapore and Larkin in JB.

There are some private operators in Singapore which can provide Singapore to JB transfers.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I sometimes do it the other way around. I live in Singapore and sometimes fly into Senai (JB).

I use this service: http://www.sgmytaxi.com/ and they have been realiable so far. They pick me up from the airport and drop me off anywhere in Singapore. Same vs versa.
From Singapore it will cost you around SGD100. Refer to their website for details.

Certainly more than taking MRT/Taxi to JB combination, but much quicker at that time of the night. Unless you're flying in on a Public Holiday eve/long weekend, you should be in JB within an hour of getting into the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.