Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some honeymoon advice...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Need some honeymoon advice...

Stopping over in Singapore for 12 hours 8pm - 8am on the way back from the Maldives. Was thinking about staying at the Marina Bay Sands, but I wonder if that is wasted due to lack of time. Would my better option be to just stay at the Crowne Plaza (at the airport) or would there be a better hotel recommendation? I also considered Raffles, but if possible would like to take a picture at the MBS pool

Open to any/all suggestions...money not really an issue since it's just one night, more concerned about hassle/convenience.

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I am pretty certain you only have access to the MBS pool if you are a guest. I have heard the Raffles really needs a reno, but can't confirm that personally. I like the Fullerton Bay. They have a pretty amazing view from the pool. From the airport, take the MRT (35 minutes) to get to Fullerton (and Raffles and I am sure others).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Personally, I'd stay at the CP. I've done the taxi to another hotel a half dozen times, but it's just not worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Stayed at Marina Bay Sands. No atmosphere and just like a big train terminal. Even the pool was ho hum. It was so crowded.

Stayed in the Caroline Astor Suite at the St Regis. Far more romantic. Raffles would be old school romance too.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For that schedule, I'd just stay airside in the transit hotel, but it's not particularly romantic for a honeymoon. However, the reality is that allowing time for clearing immigration/customs and then check in and security in the morning, you'll have less than eight hours in the hotel room. Given that, it seems silly to spend hundreds of (US) dollars for a room downtown. You won't have time to enjoy the hotel's pool, restaurants, etc. Plus, the Long Bar at Raffles is a tourist trap and is to be avoided, especially if you're staying there.

If you stay airside at SIN, you could use the pool (IIRC it's open to about midnight and tends to be pretty empty in the evening), visit the butterfly garden, see a free movie, check out the various koi ponds, shop, eat well, etc. It's really a good/fun/entertaining airport.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
If you really want to stay at hotel, but not spend several hundred dollars for 8 hours, try hotels at Joo Chiat. First of all, it is close to the airport (less than 10min taxi ride), it won't cost you too much and you will be in the middle of the local neighbourhood with access to good vietnamese and local dining options. If are really brave, you can go into KTV clubs as well.

Another non-standard option would be Village Hotel Changi - eat Nasi Lemak at the hawker center, walk around the promenande, see how planes are landing at Changi. Prices will be higher than at Joo Chiat, however, but time to get to/from Changi will be even shorter.

P.S. Instead of taxi, use Uber.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:32 am

Smile

Originally Posted by mitchjp
Stopping over in Singapore for 12 hours 8pm - 8am on the way back from the Maldives. Was thinking about staying at the Marina Bay Sands, but I wonder if that is wasted due to lack of time. Would my better option be to just stay at the Crowne Plaza (at the airport) or would there be a better hotel recommendation? I also considered Raffles, but if possible would like to take a picture at the MBS pool

Open to any/all suggestions...money not really an issue since it's just one night, more concerned about hassle/convenience.

Thanks
Your time frame would suggest going to the trouble and expense of a high priced 5* hotel will not be rewarded. I recommend booking the CP and depending on how you feel upon arrival, taking a taxi to the East Coast Parkway sea food centre (a few minutes’ drive from the airport), to have some great seafood, while looking at the ships and aircraft landing at SIN and enjoying the moment.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
OP states money is not an issue, in that context Club room or better at Marina Bay and Blacklane from airport to hotel == no hassle enjoyment. The regular rooms at MBS are poor, however the club is a hotel within a hotel and far nicer. You avoid the "train station" checkin (it is done in your room instead) and the lounge on the roof overlooking the pool is quite nice (way better than most hotel lounges). Cost double or more compared to regular rooms, so not cheap, but definitely worth it. With 12 hours there is plenty of time, and for a honeymoon I would not consider staying airside Have better things to do with my time. And if you get bored, the world's largest LV store happens to be at MBS, you can even buy a suitcase there for 1 million Euro
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the really great advice in the replies...I'm now torn between staying at a club room at MBS and the CP at the airport...the other options listed in the thread were great suggestions too!

Trying to figure out if convenience or experience (MBS pool, look at that/we've been there) will win out. Thanks again FTers!

Last edited by mitchjp; Jun 12, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by invisible
P.S. Instead of taxi, use Uber.
PS: Instead of Uber, use a taxi. Or the MRT! Unlike many places on the planet with broken transit systems and dodgy taxis, Singapore has a world-class public transport system and plentiful/clean/reliable taxis. And, you can book them with an app (search for Grab Taxi in the app store) if you feel the urge.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Uber or Grab or MRT don't matter - maybe not the best in class but Singapore's transport systems are decent overall.

Personally I think staying in CP Changi Airport will give you maximum time to rest and relax.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
PS: Instead of Uber, use a taxi. Or the MRT! Unlike many places on the planet with broken transit systems and dodgy taxis, Singapore has a world-class public transport system and plentiful/clean/reliable taxis. And, you can book them with an app (search for Grab Taxi in the app store) if you feel the urge.
Do you work for Grab?

Anyway, it was mentioned more than once that using Uber at evening and especially night times is more economical, than using taxis.

In my example both places I've mentioned are not accessible from Changi by public transportation in any efficient way. And also, while not applicable directly to OP's situation, after 11:20PM MRT stops running and after midnight 50% taxi night time surcharge will take place. That's in addition to $5 departure fee from the airport.

Contrary to that, Uber does not have night surcharge and departure fee is $1.5. As a result, last >1.5 years I always take taxi at my night arrivals (more than 70% of my arrivals) because from Changi to my home Uber costs $22-$23 while taxi $34-$39 (ordinary taxis).

This is no way saying that MRT in Singapore is not efficient. Well, unless you live around Eunos and need to get to downtown around 8AM on workdays...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Do you work for Grab?
Nope. Do you work for Uber?

Anyway, it was mentioned more than once that using Uber at evening and especially night times is more economical, than using taxis.
Perhaps UberX is slightly more economical, but that's really just app-enabled hitchhiking. And the mountain of safety and regulatory incidents Uber has faced in many countries points to the very real dangers of that.

If you want to ride with a professional licenced driver, and not just some random unvetted/unregulated dude with a Nissan Sunny, you have to choose Uber Black/Exec. And in no way shape or form is that cheaper than a taxi.

Anyway, there are several countries in the world where Uber is a net positive addition to a broken transportation landscape. Singapore is not one of them.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:49 am

This is so OT and has no bearing on the OP.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:34 am

Nope. Do you work for Uber?
No, but Uber works for me. Enough said.

If you want to ride with a professional licenced driver, and not just some random unvetted/unregulated dude with a Nissan Sunny, you have to choose Uber Black/Exec. And in no way shape or form is that cheaper than a taxi.

Anyway, there are several countries in the world where Uber is a net positive addition to a broken transportation landscape. Singapore is not one of them.
It is clear from your message that you are biased. At the same time, a case with taxi driver when uncle asleep on wheel couple of years ago, when I was taking taxi from Changi, probably won't be convincing for you.

Let's agree to disagree on this matter. Fortunately we both have choice and I prefer to vote with my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.