Singapore Immigration from Batam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

My gf and I are going to fly to Batam from Bali and take the ferry over to Singapore, as direct flights from Bali were a lot more expensive.
And we also think it's nice to see Singapore from the sea.

However, I did not think of visas before booking.
I was in Singapore on a day-trip from Malaysia a couple weeks ago (without my gf), we both hold German passports.

Is there an immigration office at the Singapore ferry terminal or would I need to arrange a visa beforehand?
In general, German citizens do not need a visa to enter Singapore, just their arrival card and a stamp in their passport...

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

There's definitely immigration on the Singapore side; the queues may be a bit long, but you shouldn't have any issues entering the city-state.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:00 pm

No need for visas beforehand for Germans. Just join the queue. I don't recall the immigration taking too long.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
My gf and I are going to fly to Batam from Bali and take the ferry over to Singapore, as direct flights from Bali were a lot more expensive.
Would you mind to share which airline you booked the ticket with and how much was it?

Return ticket from Singapore to Bali is usually $300 or more. There are sales one way if $100 be they are not in convenient times. If flight from Batam is way cheaper, I might consider it in future.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Lines can be pretty long on arrivals in Singapore. I guess it also depends on the time of day.
I was expecting longer queues out of Batam, but it turned out vice versa.!! Quick exit out of Batam and long wait in Singapore..
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Would you mind to share which airline you booked the ticket with and how much was it?

Return ticket from Singapore to Bali is usually $300 or more. There are sales one way if $100 be they are not in convenient times. If flight from Batam is way cheaper, I might consider it in future.
One thing to note is that if you do such domestic flight, you can't use the free Visa on Arrival service that Indonesia does offer for some European nationalities (incl Germany) - plus you'll have to pay for the transfer in Batam, book a ferry to Singapore, have the MRT (or Taxi) ride in Singapore to the airport (if you continue by air..) calculated in.. plus all the extra time..

Sure, it's quite fun to ride those fast ferries between Batam and Singapore, but this "side" will easily kill off 6+ hours extra compared to a direct flight to Changi, with many things that could possibly go wrong (luggage missing in Batam on arrival would cause massive issues, for example, when you continue further..)

I'd probably consider if the savings are MASSIVE, but not when the total savings would be in the 50-100S$ region..

Plus I absolutely hate immigration at the ferry terminal in Singapore (especially the one at Harbour Bay) - for non Singaporeans / ID holders, it takes forever. Last time was around 80min, iirc. And it wasn't that much better the time before. It's hot (no aircon!) and you just queue, queue, queue.

Honestly, if I could save 300$ I might considering it (but even then, the savings would be eaten partly by the extra Visa, ground transfer, ferry ride) - but less and I'm definitely not interested in it.

Now, if you want to spend a day or two in Batam anyway, things would change completely of course, but if you're only going to transit through it (and Singapore), then it's a No-Go for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.