Wiki Posts
Search

apple store in singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue
apple store in singapore?

This seems like a really dumb question: but where is/ are the apple stores (by that I mean the official stores, not resellers) in singapore? A quick google/ google maps search seemed to fail me???

We're going there next week, and my wife is keen to upgrade her iPhone4 (!!!) -- I don't really blame here, although as an avid android fan I'm shocked about the sticker price!

thanks,

tb
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:57 am

There is no official apple store in Singapore, only re-sellers.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Nearest apple store - in Hong Kong.

Also, upgrading iphone here is not a good idea - iphone 6s costs here SIN $1048 - appx $735, while it costs $649 in US.

Price difference is even higher for 5s.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Nearest apple store - in Hong Kong.

Also, upgrading iphone here is not a good idea - iphone 6s costs here SIN $1048 - appx $735, while it costs $649 in US.

Price difference is even higher for 5s.
Seems odd there is no official apple store, but it does explain lack of results from google!

Price difference between SIN (and tax back) and US is negligible. I was looking at 6SP 64GB: 1388SGD, which after tax rebate is ~US$910. In US apple store (in Boston, which is where I will be in early December), the price for the same would be US$902).

Even your example would $649+tax (i.e. $690) vs. US$686 in SIN with a tax rebate....so no, it's NOT more expensive in SIN and one doesn't have to commit to having a carrier account -- a current requirement in the US.

tb
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Seems odd there is no official apple store, but it does explain lack of results from google!

Price difference between SIN (and tax back) and US is negligible. I was looking at 6SP 64GB: 1388SGD, which after tax rebate is ~US$910. In US apple store (in Boston, which is where I will be in early December), the price for the same would be US$902).

Even your example would $649+tax (i.e. $690) vs. US$686 in SIN with a tax rebate....so no, it's NOT more expensive in SIN and one doesn't have to commit to having a carrier account -- a current requirement in the US.

tb
You are not going to get full amount of the tax rebate. From the experience of last year, a third party chops its share for processing and collecting. From $65 tax got only $38 back.

Up to you. In reality, yes, just few tens difference. But that's trade-off for convenience to have phone in your hands.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:33 am
Original Poster

You are not going to get full amount of the tax rebate. From the experience of last year, a third party chops its share for processing and collecting. From $65 tax got only $38 back.

Up to you. In reality, yes, just few tens difference. But that's trade-off for convenience to have phone in your hands.
Fair point...it means it would cost maybe $20-$30 more buying in SIN now for an unlocked phone vs. 2-3 months later and tied to a carrier (at least nominally)...I think if we can get the phone we want now, that's worth it.

But another thing: do the resellers in SIN retail the phone at the official apple price?

tb
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:35 am

Fair point...it means it would cost maybe $20-$30 more buying in SIN now for an unlocked phone vs. 2-3 months later and tied to a carrier (at least nominally)...I think if we can get the phone we want now, that's worth it.
IF there is a stock. AFAIK, it is not, now.
But another thing: do the resellers in SIN retail the phone at the official apple price?

tb
Yes. However none of them have it on their websites so you have to call, check and reserve. You might end up spending whole day running from one place to another like I did last year.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

tb
A visit to the Apple website would have immediately told you there was no official store in Singapore.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
A visit to the Apple website would have immediately told you there was no official store in Singapore.
Thanks...couldn't find that list despite looking.

tb
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Buy it at the airport airside, and it's already without full tax amount
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
Buy it at the airport airside, and it's already without full tax amount
Which store carries them?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
http://www.changiairport.com/en/shop...g/istudio.html
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster

I've already emailed them asking to prepay and reserve...but not heard back yet. This would be my first choice if I can "lock it in" but wouldn't feel 100% comfortable otherwise this close to the release date (when stock availability may be an issue).

tb
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:53 am

I've already emailed them asking to prepay and reserve...but not heard back yet.
Most likely you won't. And even if you do, their 'promise' does not worth the electricity it took to write it. Ask me how I know.

And no, making scene at shop at the arrival and showing them the printout of their email is not going to change anything.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Most likely you won't. And even if you do, their 'promise' does not worth the electricity it took to write it. Ask me how I know.

And no, making scene at shop at the arrival and showing them the printout of their email is not going to change anything.
what if one offered to prepay, over the phone say: that would be a legally binding contract.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.