Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast food brands you really want to see in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Fast food brands you really want to see in Singapore

We know Singapore is the centre of food - in fact it's a national pastime - but I am doing some research on fast food brands on the island, and I am interested to know which of the more famous brands from around the world are still missing in Singapore.

Anything in particular you would want to see?

Mang Inasal from Philippines? After You from Thailand? Kampong Kravers from Malaysia?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Tim Horton's !

Swiss Chalet Chicken !

Harvey's !

That's the Canadian in me speaking !
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Just being nosey! What research are you interested in?

For what it's worth the only time I ever eat fast food is in Singapore. I had my first Subway anywhere worldwide at Singapore, and found the idea that you move along and they stand still quite confusing. We also have the odd very late night treat from MacDonalds at Bugis which I find equally confusing so I now send the wife. The old chap in there always smiles and patiently looks after her.

There isn't such a chain yet, but talk of one in the UK. I'd like to see an Indian food chain. I know it sounds odd but that is my request.

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
Just being nosey! What research are you interested in?

For what it's worth the only time I ever eat fast food is in Singapore. I had my first Subway anywhere worldwide at Singapore, and found the idea that you move along and they stand still quite confusing. We also have the odd very late night treat from MacDonalds at Bugis which I find equally confusing so I now send the wife. The old chap in there always smiles and patiently looks after her.

There isn't such a chain yet, but talk of one in the UK. I'd like to see an Indian food chain. I know it sounds odd but that is my request.

My research is just for my blog, I have taken an interest in the best fast food in Singapore! I have done 8 parts so far, with parts 9 and 10 to come. That will be 150 brands!

But my next interest will come from the [good] brands that haven't yet arrived in Singapore. I can only think of around 20 so far.

Do you mean you want an Indian fast food chain in Singapore? If so, look no further than Prata Wala! They are at Serangoon, Chinatown, Jurong, Bedok...

http://www.pratawala.com/index.html

Then the age-old favourite Komala's (which I hate), or perhaps Big Bites, which despite the unimaginative name may be the best of the lot. http://www.bigbites.com.sg/
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:02 am
uk1
Suspended

Thanks for that. I think I mean more like the Bangladeshi British Indian restaurants we so love.

Well ... on the basis that I have been hunting for such a thing ... i'd love to see an Indonesian rijsttafel chain. I know of a few owners in Amsterdam with more than one location but don't think there is a chain.

I guess some of the buffets in the hotels are sort of serve yourself riijsttafel.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Only ones I can think of are Taco Bell (they used to be here) and Denny's.

What I truly miss, though I wouldn't classify it as a "fast food chain" (though a chain nonetheless), is Harvester from the UK.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Those US from States really miss Panera Bread. Local Cedele is the closest counterpart but it is still far away.

A! Chipotle of course! My wife misses it so much that I even was willing to bring buritto from my last trip in States.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Only ones I can think of are Taco Bell (they used to be here) and Denny's.

What I truly miss, though I wouldn't classify it as a "fast food chain" (though a chain nonetheless), is Harvester from the UK.
Ah yes, Taco Bell. I was only thinking of that one recently. Every other major US brand is in SIN, so don't know why Taco Bell hasn't arrived. Probably because Asians don't like Mexican food much, although there are a few good places like MexOut and Senor Taco - but they are standalone restaurants, not franchises.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Ah yes, Taco Bell. I was only thinking of that one recently. Every other major US brand is in SIN, so don't know why Taco Bell hasn't arrived.
They used to have Taco Bell until maybe 5 or so years ago, usually in a mutant triple outlet paired with KFC and Pizza Hut. But the food was laughably awful even by Taco Bell standards, and they were always rattlingly empty.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:54 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpatokal
They used to have Taco Bell until maybe 5 or so years ago, usually in a mutant triple outlet paired with KFC and Pizza Hut. But the food was laughably awful even by Taco Bell standards, and they were always rattlingly empty.
Even when absolutely perfect Taco Bell was one thing I never really understood. But I do accept that this is another topic ....
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Baha Fresh is here though, and their help-yourself open salsa bar is great imo.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Chipotle would be a godsend.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by gailwynand
Chipotle would be a godsend.
When my wife and I end up chatting about things we miss, chipotle is almost always one of the first things mentioned.

The Baja Fresh is good and can satisfy an acute fix, but only makes me miss chipotle more.

They would make a killing with a restaurant in the CBD or even in Clarke Quay.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by paulyras
When my wife and I end up chatting about things we miss, chipotle is almost always one of the first things mentioned.

The Baja Fresh is good and can satisfy an acute fix, but only makes me miss chipotle more.

They would make a killing with a restaurant in the CBD or even in Clarke Quay.
In the meantime, Muchachos on Keong Saik Rd is a quite nice substitute, way better than Baja Fresh.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gailwynand
In the meantime, Muchachos on Keong Saik Rd is a quite nice substitute, way better than Baja Fresh.
I just searched for that on OpenRice, looks pretty neat. Also looks like something you'd see in the city of London, that kind of style

One thing I didn't like was that it served Budweiser. American bar serving burritos in Singapore - hmmm, don't want to compare it to Chilis but...

And something I've always wanted to ask to you Americans - is there a difference between Mexican food and Tex-Mex? If so, WHAT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.