Location, Location, Location!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Location, Location, Location!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

SQ319 all you have to do now is work your way through that list that you found and see how much difference there is between the real deal and the halal versions
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by uk1
Singapore is genuine fusion food with all these immigrants stealing and adjusting from each other. I'd miss Indian food completely and use your time on Singapore food.
Isn't that a bit self-contradictory? There are a number of dishes that are identifiably both Singaporean and Indian at the same time: roti prata, curry fish head... and given Singapore's Tamil heritage, things like dosas are quite Singaporean as well.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Singapore#Indian_cuisine
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Pass
The IC is in a good location (walkable to lots of the things you want nearby). I actually like the Ibis on Bencoolen (far from luxury, but one of the best Ibises I've known...) for the same reason.
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
I second Intercontinental Hotel.

It's in a heritage rich area with shopping, mrt, local hawker food around.
Bugis is right next to it as well with plenty of food courts and a nearby hawker center(which u cant really find in Orchard) within walking distance.

Carlton Hotel is just next to the IC as well but not 5 star.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:03 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by idaud
Ok so I guess this isn't strictly off topic because the question of what is halal has been raised. Some people are squeamish about or object to talk of animal slaughter so apologies in advance if any of this makes you uncomfortable but in short:

- Most meat can be halal except pork which can never be (as you probably all know already).
- No meat apart from fish is halal unless the animal in question has been killed in the name of God (sort of like saying grace at the beginning of the supply chain rather than at the end when it’s in the plate) and a sharp blade is used to cut the jugular vein to reduce undue distress and ensure that as much blood is drained
- Fish/seafood is always halal (probably as a result of the practicality of the way seafood is caught)

So I guess in answer to your question, just because there's no pork doesn't make it halal. Having non halal chicken or beef for example is just as non halal as pork in the ingredients so if you're not fussy about your chicken or other ingredients - you might as well eat what you want! Certification itself isn't a guarantee or requirement of halal but I guess it is a way of validating that all ingredients are halal and so a good starting point (don't get me started on dodgy certification)... Somewhere like Singapore there it is possible that by default, the meat used by a random Chinese vendor for example might well be halal (even if unwittingly so) just because of where the meat comes from and because no other non halal ingredients are used.

I guess out of simplicity for the purposes of this thread - maybe we should stick with either halal certified places or places where it is obvious that the vendor is providing halal food.

Is everyone still awake?
That is one of the reasons why I suggested you give tours a miss and simply wander around. You will then see if there is a certificate or not.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Pass
Al Jilani (on Bencoolen near the IC) is great for prata etc.
Originally Posted by uk1
The Intercontinental is a great choice, and funnily enough we found an Indian Restaurant we really enjoyed a 10 minute walk away. This was the best Indian food we experienced in Singapore. Believe me I love my indian food and we're always desperate ......

http://www.shishmahal.com.sg/

Many of the hotels and many locals recommend places like the Banana Leaf Apollo to tourists. We've been to this place around half a dozen times or so along with a few of the other places close by and considered up market in the area. Try it. By all means listen to the enthusiasts and make up your own mind. I'm a Londoner, brought up in the East End and worked in Soho! I think you may conclude it to be a disappointment. They do sell fish head curry but much of the rest of the menu you will be familiar with. But try it if you wish.

A few minutes away is the Albert Center with a great variety and feels very local considering how close it is to the hotel.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qVHfXZJrEg4

Ask any questions you have.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by idaud
Ok so I guess this isn't strictly off topic because the question of what is halal has been raised. Some people are squeamish about or object to talk of animal slaughter so apologies in advance if any of this makes you uncomfortable but in short:

- Most meat can be halal except pork which can never be (as you probably all know already).
- No meat apart from fish is halal unless the animal in question has been killed in the name of God (sort of like saying grace at the beginning of the supply chain rather than at the end when it’s in the plate) and a sharp blade is used to cut the jugular vein to reduce undue distress and ensure that as much blood is drained
- Fish/seafood is always halal (probably as a result of the practicality of the way seafood is caught)

So I guess in answer to your question, just because there's no pork doesn't make it halal. Having non halal chicken or beef for example is just as non halal as pork in the ingredients so if you're not fussy about your chicken or other ingredients - you might as well eat what you want! Certification itself isn't a guarantee or requirement of halal but I guess it is a way of validating that all ingredients are halal and so a good starting point (don't get me started on dodgy certification)... Somewhere like Singapore there it is possible that by default, the meat used by a random Chinese vendor for example might well be halal (even if unwittingly so) just because of where the meat comes from and because no other non halal ingredients are used.

I guess out of simplicity for the purposes of this thread - maybe we should stick with either halal certified places or places where it is obvious that the vendor is providing halal food.

Is everyone still awake?
Not sure if I have given you the impression that I am ignorant on what is halal and what is not. My question arises based on my experience with my Muslim friends, that some of them choose strictly halal establishments, while some just go with no pork no lard (even if other ingredients are non halal).

The certification process in Singapore is a pretty robust one and most Singaporeans are actually understand the importance of it to our Muslim counterparts to actually flout the rules and regulations related to the Halal certification. MUIS audits the establishments every year (or every other year) and they can spot check any certified establishments at any time or if they receive a complaint regarding establishment practices.

As for the list I provided you, I would not be able tell you the difference between the halal versions and the non-halal ones, because I have never tried the halal version. I did some research just for my own understanding and also to help you as well. You will have to trust whatever which is written there.

Last edited by SQ319; Jul 16, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks SQ - I guess my post was just to inform whoever was interested on the background of halal - I'm sure being Singaporean you are well informed. My point on certification was also just a general one - I am sure the Singapore authorities do a better job of certification than elsewhere (because a lot of countries don't have a legal definition of what halal is and therefore it becomes hard to enforce a universal standard).

My question on the taste of halal vs non halal versions was tongue in cheek but if you do ever try the halal versions that you posted about - do let me know how it compares.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure how useful this is, but most of the time when I enter at SIN, I see a stack of leaflets, in one of the tourist info racks, that focus on halal food in Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.