Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer in Singapore (SIN) to Penang (PEN) from EVA to AirAsia

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Transfer in Singapore (SIN) to Penang (PEN) from EVA to AirAsia

Hello FlyerTalk folks! I have not been able to find this information on the web.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with transfer in SIN. I'm flying in on EVA from TPE in July. Then, I would like to fly AirAsia (AA) or maybe Tiger Airways to PEN. AirAsia and EVA are both in Terminal 1. Tiger is in Terminal 2. And, I've got carry-on and checked luggage and two family members with me.

My concern is checked baggage and timing. Incoming to SIN, there is a flight 1hr50min later on AA (there is a later flight if this one is missed... 8 hrs though). Is this enough time? How do I handle the checked baggage? Is Tiger Airways an option since they are lower cost?

And, outgoing from PEN to SIN, there is 2hr10min between flights. Is there any difference between incoming from EVA to AA and outgoing in reverse?

Thank you very much!

GotsToGo (SFO)
Old May 30, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Are you sure that SIN-PEN flight is in Terminal 2 not in Budget Terminal? That would change a lot.

Are those two flights part of the same ITIN or separate? If the same, check with EVA if they will transfer your luggage to Tiger, if separate, most likely you will need to pick up your luggage and re-check to Tiger (BTW, you should know how much they charge for checked luggage).

In terms of timing, you should not be too much concerned because luggage handling in SIN is probably best in the world - by the time you cleared Immigration your luggage should already waiting for you.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response and help!

EVA is definitely T1. And, SIN's website says AA is also T1. And, Tiger Airways is T2 since Sept '12 according to a TA press release and since the Budget Terminal will be replaced by T4.

The flights are separate ITIN. Yeah, factored in the cost of checked bags on AA and TA ($200 and $180 for 80 kg incoming and 120 kg outgoing)
Old May 30, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I'd say, that if flight is not delayed, 1h50min you should be more than enough to get your bags, hop on airtrain and check for Tiger flight
Old May 31, 2013, 1:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I've moved this over to the Singapore forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by gotstogo
Hello FlyerTalk folks! I have not been able to find this information on the web.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with transfer in SIN. I'm flying in on EVA from TPE in July. Then, I would like to fly AirAsia (AA) or maybe Tiger Airways to PEN. AirAsia and EVA are both in Terminal 1. Tiger is in Terminal 2. And, I've got carry-on and checked luggage and two family members with me.

My concern is checked baggage and timing. Incoming to SIN, there is a flight 1hr50min later on AA (there is a later flight if this one is missed... 8 hrs though). Is this enough time? How do I handle the checked baggage? Is Tiger Airways an option since they are lower cost?

And, outgoing from PEN to SIN, there is 2hr10min between flights. Is there any difference between incoming from EVA to AA and outgoing in reverse?

Thank you very much!

GotsToGo (SFO)
First of all, welcome to FT.

I don't believe TR (Tiger) will interline bags. And I know AK (note not AA, that is American Airlines) won't. So you'll need to build time into your connections to account for 1) flight delays and 2) changing terminals. Count on the need to collect bags and recheck in both directions.

On the return you have an even more precarious situation since a late flight TR/AK (which is more likely than not) will cause a missed connection and lots of hassle.

Spending less on an LCC (and these airlines are often not cheaper than a full service airline) can be a very costly savings.

On the rare trips where I use an LCC as the first leg and must get the connecting flight I make sure to arrive the day before.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Tiger Airways, I just found out this year, started offering the baggage transfer service at SIN. It costs ~16 SGD or so per person, but well worth it. AK only does KLIA. Inbound to SIN, there is a later flight if our flight from TPE is delayed. Outgoing from PEN on Tiger, there isn't a flight that makes it in time. Thus, we decided to fly into SIN the night before, enjoy the city and then at our leisure catch our flight out to TPE.

Thanks again to the forum for all the help!!!

GotsToGo
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by gotstogo
Thus, we decided to fly into SIN the night before, enjoy the city and then at our leisure catch our flight out to TPE.
I think that is a wise move on several levels.

Enjoy.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Tiger transfers at SIN Changi

Tiger's "Tigerconnect" baggage transfer service only works between Tiger flights so I'm told

Last edited by RBH58; Sep 23, 2013 at 12:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.