Search

25% - 50% discount on online redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

25% - 50% discount on online redemptions

On singaporeair.com:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...Redemption.jsp

In February 2009, KrisFlyer turns 10 and getting to your favourite destinations using your KrisFlyer miles will be even easier.

Be treated to special discounts on redemptions made online from 1 February to 15 September 2009.

Enjoy a 25% Discount on All Online Redemptions

Redeem your miles online from 1 February to 15 September 2009 and receive a 25% discount on KrisFlyer miles required :
  • for all Award types (Full, Standard, Saver)
  • in all cabin classes available for redemption
  • for travel from 1 March to 30 September 2009 and
  • to any destination on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir*

*except Kathmandu – no online redemption is currently available

Save 50% on KrisFlyer Miles for Selected Flights

Redeem online for these selected flights and you need only half the usual KrisFlyer miles for Economy Saver awards for travel on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir
And these two threads:

on sqtalk
on AFF

Last edited by futaris; Jan 31, 2009 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The 50% discount flights have dates such that can only go to and from SIN. Unable to do xxx-SIN-yyy
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I booked Jan 31 :-O

BNE - SIN - NRT

NRT - SIN - BNE

Would have saved 150 dollars if i had waited (i had to transfer about 150 dollars worth of credit card points to be able to redeem)

Last edited by davem4; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The 50% discount flights have dates such that can only go to and from SIN. Unable to do xxx-SIN-yyy
That's not true. It's only valid on certain flights (in economy), eg:

01May09 SQ256 BNE-SIN 09:30-15:35
02May09 SQ342 SIN-ZRH 13:55-20:45

Miles Required 23750
Airport/Government Taxes AUD 72.11
Carrier Surcharges AUD 292.60

It worked yesterday and 5 minutes ago.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
One watchout here ....

Once award tickets have been issued, no cancellation, change to flight number, date of travel and/or itinerary is allowed.
This is departure from the normal 15% discount, where cancellations, changes are allowed with fees. Does this now mean to have an award ticket that is changeable it needs to be phone booked without discount at all (or booked for travel after 30 Sep and moved)? Or am I misreading the conditions, and this clause only applies to the 50% discount awards?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I guess this also applies to upgrade awards?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
They must be really desperate to fill their planes!

I just flew on one sector recently, where the complete aircraft (all classes) was not even 30% full! Maybe less.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
They must be really desperate to fill their planes!

I just flew on one sector recently, where the complete aircraft (all classes) was not even 30% full! Maybe less.
I'm not sure. I would say it depends on day of travel and route. For example, my colleague and I just headed from SIN to CDG on a Sat night (he on SQ & I via FRA on LH) and his SQ flight was packed to the last seat in Y at least. My LH flight was 95% in eco and again almost full to the last seat in Biz.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by demue
I'm not sure. I would say it depends on day of travel and route. For example, my colleague and I just headed from SIN to CDG on a Sat night (he on SQ & I via FRA on LH) and his SQ flight was packed to the last seat in Y at least. My LH flight was 95% in eco and again almost full to the last seat in Biz.
Chinese New Year?

UA's pricing was amazingly high, when I was trying to route from SIN (actually via for me) to the US!

(Btw, loads on LH have improved substantially ex-BOM with their new biz offers, so flights were *pretty* packed recently!)
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
Thumbs down 50% discount, yeah right

Lets try a worked example:

AKL-LHR one way in Business Class as a Saver Award

Before the 50% discount

Zone Nine to Zone Twelve 75,000 less 15% equals 60,000 miles required

With the 50% discount

AKL- SIN Zone Nine to Zone One 45,000 less 50% equals 22,500 miles required

PLUS (must be two awards via SIN and only available on the old 777-200 with sloping seats!)

SIN-LHR Zone One to Zone Twelve 60,000 less 50% equals 30,000

So we are comparing 60,000 to 52,500.

So when I get spam email from SQ with a headline that is frankly economical with the truth does that makes me feel better towards the company and more likely to travel with them, or is it another slip down the slippery slope of madness that is the airline industry's idea of marketing!

To constantly set expectations that are unachievable and then nickle, dime and wheeze from there towards reality which they lack the integrity to be upfront about.

I have never seen an industry so thoroughly commoditise itself as the madness that has been airline marketing over the past 2 years and it dismays me that SQ is following the same path with such enthusiasm and little regard for its customers.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:40 am

Erm, 50% only applies to selected economy saver awards, it does not apply to business or first awards, those are only 25%.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi_FF
Lets try a worked example:

AKL-LHR one way in Business Class as a Saver Award

Before the 50% discount

Zone Nine to Zone Twelve 75,000 less 15% equals 60,000 miles required

Hate to be a pedant, but 75,000 less 15% actually equals 63,750 miles.

And as fone points out 50% discounts are only off selected Y saver awards, you only can get 25% of business savers . in this example 56,250. A bit of a saving. But you can get some better savings in Y, eg AKL-SIN-LHR 1 way for 23,750. Trouble is with the falling AUD & NZD the +++'s are going up up and away....

Even the 25% of the business award ain't too bad, especially if using credit card pts. I don't know what earn/burns on credit cards are like on that side of the ditch (or indeed if you have any CCs that tfr to KF), but in Australia this compares particularly favorably to the competition (namely QF) - where a oneway Y flight needs 64,000 pts.

Last edited by lokijuh; Feb 3, 2009 at 4:58 am
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:47 am

I was chatting with a friend from Singapore and told him about the 25% discount and he said that the online discount used to be 25% before it was cut to 15% a few years back. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.