Wiki Posts
Search

First F: Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: www.srflyer.blogspot.com
First F: Decisions Decisions

I will be going on my first SQ F flight soon. Very very excited. As some have mentioned here, trip of a lifetime, one I am hoping to repeat as many times as possible.

As a First timer (no pun intended), I know from reading here that F is F. I am flying to NYC in Oct and wonder:

-Is the 747 F better as an experience than the A345 C?
-Does anyone have a preference of flying the direct flight into EWR vs the one stop via FRA?
-Is it worth the hassle of flying the 77W F getting into FRA late evening, having to stopover for a night instead of flying the conventional and more direct SIN - FRA - JFK route on a 747 F?
-Does it make any difference whether you sit on 2F, 3F or 4F on the 747? Is that solitary first seat at the nose really that great (not exactly a room with a view)...
-Is there a difference between 1A or 1F on the 77W?
-On the SIN - FRA - JFK, do pax get another set of PJs and amenity kit on the second sector. I know it sounds cheap of me, but I people who would love to have them. :-)
-Is JFK airport still a challenge to get through customs etc as I remember it from a while back (my fave gateway is still EWR)?

On another related story:

I will be traveling to back to SIN from LAX via NRT. I am debating whether to downgrade to C to fly on the A380 or just stick to the 747 F. Granted I have yet to fly the whalejet but is the experience worth giving up F?

Apologies for the loads of newbie questions. I am sure everyone remembers their First time (again, no pun intended) and I really want this to go very smoothly...

Thanks in advance...
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Emperorsr
- another related story:

I will be traveling to back to SIN from LAX via NRT. I am debating whether to downgrade to C to fly on the A380 or just stick to the 747 F. Granted I have yet to fly the whalejet but is the experience worth giving up F?..
I can not answer all your questions but do believe it is not worth trading an F seat on the 747 for C on the whalejet. I have tried both and IMO, the food, service , and comfort is superior in F, and thus a more enjoyable journey. Enjoy!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:28 pm

-Is the 747 F better as an experience than the A345 C?
yes
-Does anyone have a preference of flying the direct flight into EWR vs the one stop via FRA?
No option if you want to go F , but I would take the nonstop anyway.

-Is it worth the hassle of flying the 77W F getting into FRA late evening, having to stopover for a night instead of flying the conventional and more direct SIN - FRA - JFK route on a 747 F?
No

-Does it make any difference whether you sit on 2F, 3F or 4F on the 747? Is that solitary first seat at the nose really that great (not exactly a room with a view).

Anything but 4 , view? , you on sightseeing trip
-Is there a difference between 1A or 1F on the 77W?
no
-On the SIN - FRA - JFK, do pax get another set of PJs and amenity kit on the second sector.
no

-Is JFK airport still a challenge to get through customs etc as I remember it from a while back (my fave gateway is still EWR)?
sometimes
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Anything but 4 , view? , you on sightseeing trip
Why the ? It was a perfectly reasonable question.

Personally I wouldn't touch the solitary seat at the front because it certainly isn't a room with a view, unless you enjoy looking at a wall for 12 hours, and being too far away from the window to see out.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Mofomat
Why the ? It was a perfectly reasonable question.

Personally I wouldn't touch the solitary seat at the front because it certainly isn't a room with a view, unless you enjoy looking at a wall for 12 hours, and being too far away from the window to see out.
It was more of a statement , and in my case I do not mind that seat.
Prefer the cabin with all window shades down. Flying is for eating , sleeping
and possibly catch a movie.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:09 am
Original Poster

thanks so much for all the help...really appreciate it. still unsure if i should give up an F seat for the all business A345 for the non stop convenience, or even the a380 though...sigh.

and yes, since it is my first time, i would be 'sightseeing'...taking pictures, noting everything for a TR, looking outside the window...maybe the sky will look like gold from an F seat...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:28 am

thanks so much for all the help...really appreciate it. still unsure if i should give up an F seat for the all business A345 for the non stop convenience, or even the a380 though...sigh.
Always non stop ( unless you are a smoker )

and yes, since it is my first time, i would be 'sightseeing'...taking pictures, noting everything for a TR, looking outside the window...maybe the sky will look like gold from an F seat...
OK , enjoy , I just hope I'm not on your flight
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:04 am
Suspended

OK , enjoy , I just hope I'm not on your flight

And I hope I'm never on yours.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:50 am

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Mofomat
And I hope I'm never on yours.
And why is that ?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:20 am

Seat 1B (the "solitary") is great if you want to see NO ONE. You also get control of the 3 windows at either side of you (which makes for 6 windows). You will not get much of a view outside unless you sit on the little cabinet (!) on either side.
I will tell you that 1B is great if you want food pics because you will not get the annoying yellow light as you do from the other window seats (now that is a bit obsessive, huh?). But I like to make pics inflight.

If you like looking out the windows, choose row 2. Stay away from anything else as you'll be too near the twin seats in the centre.

Remember that on many flights the crew go around and close all the windows so others can rest/sleep/watch the AVOD.

JFK transit is not that bad, don't worry.

You WILL get two sets of amenity kits/slippers/PJs with JFK-FRA-SIN. One on each leg!

Never trade F for C! You will have the next 20-30 years to try the A380!

If you want some specific shots of 1B and the area around it you can PM me.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Sep 6, 2008 at 11:28 am
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox

Never trade F for C! You will have the next 20-30 years to try the A380!
That is a strange recommendation , you rather spend 2 hrs in FRA and loose several hours in arrival to fly F , I hope you pay your own tickets and is responsible for your time . If you worked for me , your travel habits would be scrutinized and questioned . The A345 all C is good enough for anyone.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That is a strange recommendation , you rather spend 2 hrs in FRA and loose several hours in arrival to fly F
Not necessarily. It depends on what other flights are connecting at each end and how they fit into the schedules.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

That is a strange recommendation , you rather spend 2 hrs in FRA and loose several hours in arrival to fly F , I hope you pay your own tickets and is responsible for your time . If you worked for me , your travel habits would be scrutinized and questioned . The A345 all C is good enough for anyone.
firstly, thanks for your help to start with. i do appreciate it.

secondly, i understand what you are saying here (above).

thirdly, are you remotely aware that you are coming across as a *A-H?

more importantly, not intended as a personal attack, fortunately, i don't travel with you or report to anyone who micro manages. scrutinizing two hours of an executive's or management type's travels? hm.

but yes, i have traveled a little on the a345c and it is good. but better than f? weeelllll.....again, yes i do see your point about the convenience and practicality vs the luxury and loss of time.

thanks again.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:41 pm
Suspended

1. Is the 747 F better as an experience than the A345 C?
2. Does anyone have a preference of flying the direct flight into EWR vs the one stop via FRA?
3. Is it worth the hassle of flying the 77W F getting into FRA late evening, having to stopover for a night instead of flying the conventional and more direct SIN - FRA - JFK route on a 747 F?
4. Does it make any difference whether you sit on 2F, 3F or 4F on the 747? Is that solitary first seat at the nose really that great (not exactly a room with a view)...
5. Is there a difference between 1A or 1F on the 77W?
6. On the SIN - FRA - JFK, do pax get another set of PJs and amenity kit on the second sector. I know it sounds cheap of me, but I people who would love to have them. :-)
7. Is JFK airport still a challenge to get through customs etc as I remember it from a while back (my fave gateway is still EWR)?
1. Yes

2. As another poster mentioned, if you want to fly F, there is only one airport to fly into - JFK

3. I personally really dislike the day flight. The last time I flew it (no choice - most convenient timing for me) I had an incredibly tough time falling asleep. Snacks on SQ are nothing to write home about, and the movie system gets boring after a while.

I did manage to fall asleep about 8 hours into the flight after drinking kopius amounts of alcohol.

4. No

5. No

6. I would say you do - any day flights 7 hours or longer get PJ's. If you are breakfing your segments (i.e. flying SIN-FRA overnight FRA-JFK), then I wouldn't see how the crew would know that you just came in on the incoming SQ 26 flight.

7. Haven't been in about a year - can't answer that anymore.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA 882

3. I personally really dislike the day flight. The last time I flew it (no choice - most convenient timing for me) I had an incredibly tough time falling asleep. Snacks on SQ are nothing to write home about, and the movie system gets boring after a while.

6. I would say you do - any day flights 7 hours or longer get PJ's. If you are breakfing your segments (i.e. flying SIN-FRA overnight FRA-JFK), then I wouldn't see how the crew would know that you just came in on the incoming SQ 26 flight.

Enjoy!
Hey thanks ;-)

So I guess taking the morning 77W to FRA is still not as great as the evening 747 eh? Mind you, the connection is of course way better. I was just thinking it would be fun to try the new F, but that would mean having to stay overnight in FRA and I really have a need to, will be doing that another time. So summarily: 747 F all the way to JFK?

As for the PJs, if one doesn't break up the segment with the 747 F, does that still mean getting a set per sector? As Flyingfox noted, apparently it is yes :-)

Yaay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.