Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Singapore Air (and *A)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:46 am
Original Poster

New to Singapore Air (and *A)

So, I've spent some time over the last few weeks getting up to speed on posts, FAQs, etc and trying to figure this out for myself.

However, I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered by the folks here

I'm currently a Platinum on AA. I'm pretty used to perks (esp lounge access on OW). However, I'm on a relatively long term assignment to Bangalore India, and OW doesn't do a whole lot for me here (unless I want to transit to Singapore via Heathrow...). While researching the options, I see Singapore Air, Thai, and LH as decent options going both directions (East & West) - so I'm seriously considering converting over to *A.

My preference based on "flying on the actual metal" is Singapore. I've done a few trips, and I'm very pleased. However, with the recent changes to the program (especially upper tier / PPS), I'm not sure it's worth it.

1) I don't see that any of the programs that I'm looking at offer any status match program (official or otherwise). Any experience on this regard?
2) Singapore seems a bit more difficult than normal to achieve Gold. If I'm reading the site correctly, it's 25,000 to qualify for Silver - then an additional 50,000 after that to get Gold - that's 75k in total. Is that right?
3) Given the recent changes - would anyone "warn me off" and advise I go a different direction?

Thanks in Advance!
Extra
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:34 am

Programs: SQ PPS
2) Its actually only 50K to get gold.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperJonJon
2) Its actually only 50K to get gold.
Ok - that's at least something.

I saw this:
https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_.../elitegold.jsp
KrisFlyer Elite Gold status will be yours when you achieve 50,000 Elite miles in any class of service on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Virgin Atlantic or any Star Alliance airline during your Elite Silver membership year, and credit them to your KrisFlyer account.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ PPS, UA 1K, ANA, SPG GOLD, HYATT PLAT, HHONOUR GOLD
Hi there,

You might consider LH if you fly premium as they give 200% and 300% miles flown in J and F on all *A airlines. You need 100K to qualify for SEN gold status which is valid for 2 years. Plus once you have achieved FTL Silver status (30K) you get an additional 25% bonus on LH/LX/OS flights.
There is also BMI FFP in the staralliance but quite a number of fter will tell you that nothing is too sure about them remaining in the alliance.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
I would say go for the airline you would fly the most. E.g. ROP if you plan to fly TG for most of the trips, and KF for SQ, and M & M for LH as airlines tend to favour their own members with cheaper awards. I would say go for SQ or LH as they give something like additional 25% or 50% miles even in Y for elite customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.