Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIN-ICN SQ 16 in F: No meal for 3 hours after take-off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Just flew SIN-ICN in the new SQ F.
In the lounge, ate little, knowing to expect a nice SQ F meal.
After take-off at 915AM, a drink and satay were served immediately.
Then, nothing... about an hour later, maybe 11AM SIN time, the FA came by to refresh my drink, and mentioned that Lunch is served at 12PM SIN time. Would I like another drink? I actually asked if there was anything like nuts or cheese, since by now I was really quite hungry! She said no, nothing snack-like was catered, they only have these little bread-type snacks--they were round pieces of dried bread, with little or no seasoning (kind of like croutons?). Hmmm.. when she saw me scarf those up, she asked if I'd like my meal early, and I gladly said yes.
I realize I can request meals at any time on SQ F, but this experience was interestingly different enough to mention. It makes "sense" since "lunch" is served at 12noon sharp, but anyway it was unexpected.
Is this also true for the SQ flight SIN-NRT departing late morning, after 9AM?
Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is standard for SQ16 in C - satay after take off and main meal (lunch) 2-3 hours before landing. It is kind of strange yet it makes sense, giving the timing of the flight. I have never been in F for SQ16 , but I assume you could have requested early meal when you board.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, this is very surprising. I am taking this flight in F in July, so thanks for the heads up. I will have to eat in the lounge now. Another strange thing is that isn't the meal on ICN-SFO served shortly after takeoff, making the two meals very close to each other for the connecting passengers?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), EK Plat, VX Gold, Marriott Plat
I just flew SQ15 ex-SFO in F on the new 77W. As on other F tickets, they specifically asked when to serve the meals and were pretty faithful bringing them as I asked them to.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Lots
That is standard IME. You can request your mail early but it normally is served at noon SIN time.

As for ICN-SFO, by the time you take off/etc it will have been a good number of hours between meals. And, as usual, you can request it whenever
Old Apr 15, 2007, 6:59 pm

Think it's more of a cost-cutting measure. SIN-ICN is only 6+ hours which doesn't justify 2 main meals. Maybe they could've served a light meal/refreshment instead. The same should go for SQ 18 SIN-ICN-YVR too, and therefore SQ 12 SIN-NRT-LAX. The only "mid-range" flight that serves 2 main meals, IIRC, is SQ 220 SYD-SIN, where they do have a full breakfast and lunch. But otherwise, it's only 1 meal.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:03 pm

SQ12 SIN-NRT in F use to have a light meal right after take off and then a full meal before landing in NRT.

Now it is just one full meal.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just flew SIN-ICN in the new SQ F.
In the lounge, ate little, knowing to expect a nice SQ F meal.
After take-off at 915AM, a drink and satay were served immediately.
Then, nothing... about an hour later, maybe 11AM SIN time, the FA came by to refresh my drink, and mentioned that Lunch is served at 12PM SIN time. Would I like another drink?
Out of curiosity, was the service lazy? Were you really only offered a refill on your drink once an hour, or was it as attentive as it usually would be after a meal? Maybe I am just misinterpreting this. Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
SQ 631 leaves NRT at 9:20 am and arrives at BKK local at 14:00.

Satay is served after take-off and then meal is served at time requested.
Leading stewardess always asks when you want your meal.

I generaly ask for their biscuits and some fruits with tea or coffee after take off.
Then the satay 2 hours later and the meal near 12 (Tokyo time)

It works fine and I do not go hungry at all

Did you get caviar out of SIN ?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackR
Did you get caviar out of SIN ?
The menu here seems to indicate that there is caviar!
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Out of curiosity, was the service lazy? Were you really only offered a refill on your drink once an hour, or was it as attentive as it usually would be after a meal? Maybe I am just misinterpreting this. Thanks!
Interestingly enough, service was just OK: it was very impersonal and (even though the load was only 4/8 in F and two were sleeping the whole way) I can barely remember their personalities and what they looked like. Drinks did go empty, and I had to use my call button twice.
Funnily enough, I can remember my SQ F FAs from NRT-SIN last year, and that was in a full 744 F cabin--the FAs were wonderfully attentive then. Mind you, there was nothing wrong with this set of FAs--they were polite, and did their jobs, but they did nothing to stand out as "great" FAs. Also, flying LX F BKK-SIN the day before and OZ F ICN-LAX the day after this SQ F flight, I do remember FAs from the other two flights, and all for good reasons.
Also, this Lunch service at noon thing would be fine by me--except nobody mentioned it to me until we'd been in the air for 2 hours! Now that I know to ask, I will be happy to let them know when I'd like to eat. I just assumed it'd be served soon after take-off, like 99% of other flights I've taken around the world. But you know what? I didn't starve to death, so it's NOT the end of the world--just an anomaly I thought would be interesting to some of you (us) who are interested in this kind of minutiae!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Is this also true for the SQ flight SIN-NRT departing late morning, after 9AM?
Thanks!
It was when I flew it in F last year. Satay after takeoff, and main meal about 3 hours later.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by sporadic
The only "mid-range" flight that serves 2 main meals, IIRC, is SQ 220 SYD-SIN, where they do have a full breakfast and lunch. But otherwise, it's only 1 meal.
SQ26 from FRA-JFK also serves a full breakfast and lunch.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I liked the SQ satay and normally I will ask for extra helpings. This helps to keep the hunger pangs away before the meal proper. They alway agreed...FAs must have also noticed the starving plea shown all over my face.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
What about the AM ICN-SIN flight?

The flight leaves ICN at 9 AM. I'm booked in C next month. Do they follow a similar schedule for meals? Should I load up on dim sum in the lounge? ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.