Community
Wiki Posts
Search

miles and STA fares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

miles and STA fares

What are the restrictions with respect to fares bought from STA and getting miles for those fares?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by bumpme
What are the restrictions with respect to fares bought from STA and getting miles for those fares?
I certainly have got miles from STA fares before but I wasnt into it then so didnt pay any attention to things like fare class..

I know QF009 is more of an expert in this field, so hopefully he will post soon..
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:29 am

As with reservations with any other TAs, just ask the STA staff what fare class ur fare is booked into and make sure that it corresponds with the list of fare classes eligible for mileage accrual on ur FFP. As you're posting in the Singapore Airlines forum, I assume you're using Krisflyer - if so, the fare classes to avoid are G I N O Q R T V X (award buckets are mixed in there, but I can't remember which ones they are). Any flight booked into these classes will render ur entire itinerary ineligible for mileage accrual.

There aren't any extra restrictions on STA fares as far as I'm aware of. Normal discount economy fare rules usually apply; the TA should explain said rules in detail. I'm not sure where you live, but in Australia, STA also requires a non-refundable deposit of AUD250 and imposes a further admin charge (over and above what the airline charges) for cancellations. I'm also aware that in certain parts of the world, you're able to get extra baggage allowance via STA fares if you're a student.

STA likes to shove their 'special deals' down ur throat as they make commissions from these deals. I notice that SQ doesn't feature in those deals much as STA will usually badger me to fly QF or do some weird non-mileage accruing routing via millions of places on a totally random airline. Once the TA even unashamedly declared that 'we're good friends with Qantas.' Again, this is from an Australian perspective so STA elsewhere might be different.

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 15, 2006 at 1:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.