Wiki Posts
Search

Once again.....Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH,SQ,UA,BA,KL
Question Once again.....Upgrading

Hi guys, been monitoring these forums for a while, and have decided to post. I have a few questions, and hopefully one of you learned gentlemen here will be able to provide the answers.

First, let me set the scene......

I have been travelling between Auckland and Manchester a few times over the past year and have been earning miles with SQ. My final flight back to MAN is on the 8th September. I have earned around 42k miles over the year and would like to know your opinions..

Is it possible to book an upgrade award on the SQ website taking advantage of the 10% discount? I have searched and searched but have not been able to find where it is possible to book upgrades online.

How quickly after taking a flight are the krisflyer miles credited to ones account?

Is it possible to upgrade in Changi using Krisflyer miles during my connection time in between my AKL and MAN flights?

Is it worth using my miles to upgrade on the MAN leg, or would they be more valuable if i used them to take a trip, say to the US in January next year.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Regards

Alex
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Miles credit to Kris Flyer very quickly. Sometimes they post before even arriving at destination, or maybe within a few hours.

AFAIK you wont be able to request an upgrade while in transit in Singapore, for the onward flight. If you are stopping over in Singapore for a few days then could request upgrade for the next flight, otherwise needs to be done earlier in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:15 pm

Welcome to our forum, busz!

Originally Posted by busz
Is it possible to book an upgrade award on the SQ website taking advantage of the 10% discount? I have searched and searched but have not been able to find where it is possible to book upgrades online.
The ability to book an upgrade online (and with a discount) is one of the functionalities that we hope will be added during the website upgrade currently underway.

Originally Posted by busz
Is it worth using my miles to upgrade on the MAN leg, or would they be more valuable if i used them to take a trip, say to the US in January next year.
My bias would be to use the miles to upgrade a leg of an upcoming leisure trip. The Raffles Class experience is particularly good when you're relaxed, and flying in Raffles can, for example, provide a very nice finish to a holiday -- what a way to transition back to normal life.

Last edited by jjpb3; Aug 13, 2005 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by jjpb3
what a way to transition back to normal life.
But a warning.... It can also make you itch to leave the normal life as soon as you get back making you to want to fly with SQ again as soon as possible
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH,SQ,UA,BA,KL
Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies. Im returning home after living out in New Zealand for a year, so im guessing that Raffles Class would be a nice way to end a significant era in my life (only 20 yrs old, so living on the other side of the world away from family, friends etc is a pretty big deal.) I will be returning to a relatively normal way of life back in the UK, albeit not living at home, and after staying in the Ritz Carlton Millenia during a stopover on my last journey out to NZ im eager to experience Singaporean hospitality again.

I noticed the upgrade underway, hopefully i will be able to book the upgrade on there otherwise im pretty much screwed it seems.

Thanks again,

Alex
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by jef7
But a warning.... It can also make you itch to leave the normal life as soon as you get back making you to want to fly with SQ again as soon as possible
That's the way it is for me, for sure. In fact, it has recently accelerated. I booked my SQ F award trip for Christmas in mid-May, before I took my SQ C award trip at US Memorial Day in late May. As soon as I have enough miles, which should be sometime in September, I'll be trying to book next year's Memorial Day trip. The difficulty is selecting somewhere in SQ's route network to go! It's a sure sign of a grave disease when an American living on the US East Coast finds holiday options limited by the SQ route network.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
That's the way it is for me, for sure... As soon as I have enough miles, which should be sometime in September, I'll be trying to book next year's Memorial Day trip... It's a sure sign of a grave disease when an American living on the US East Coast finds holiday options limited by the SQ route network.
Be glad that your home airline is a partner of SQ. I have to earn most of my SQ-eligible miles on my leisure travel, unless my business meetings happen to take place in Germany, Austria or Poland, and even then, BA still has some pretty compelling advantages over the *A options in Europe.

Ah, the things we do when an airline is good enough to be part of the vacation, rather than just a way to get from A to B ...

Last edited by jjpb3; Aug 13, 2005 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by jef7

Nothing has been normal for me, nor may it ever again be, since I returned from my first SQ F experience. SQ is pretty darn fantastic
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peter11
Nothing has been normal for me, nor may it ever again be, since I returned from my first SQ F experience. SQ is pretty darn fantastic
Imagine how I felt from my first Spacebed after flying UA all my life! I flew LAX-TPE-NRT, connecting to UA for the second segment, and I thought I was going to cry sitting in that cradle seat! After enjoying a Spacebed for 6500 miles, I boarded the UA flight and was like, "I have to sit in that?"
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjpb3
Ah, the things we do when an airline is good enough to be part of the vacation, rather than just a way to get from A to B ...
Good thing I'm accustomed to sitting in coach for most of my leisurely travels because only during corporate assignments do I ever sit in premium cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.