Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA, SilkAir to raise fuel surcharge amid rising oil prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold

Source: CNA

SINGAPORE : Amid rising global oil prices, Singapore Airlines has said it is raising its fuel surcharge on all passenger tickets starting next month.

The largest increase is for flights between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. The fuel surcharge will be raised to US$10, up from US$4.

For all long haul flights, the fuel surcharge will be raised to US$30 per sector, up from US$22.

But the fuel surcharge for all flights between Singapore and nine regional cities, including Bangkok, Jakarta, Denpasar and Ho Chi Minh City, will remain unchanged at US$10.

SIA says the hike will still not offset the increase in costs arising from recent record jet fuel prices.

At US$70 per barrel, the additional fuel cost to the airline will be in excess of US$300 million for the financial year 2005/06.

Meantime, SilkAir will also raise its fuel surcharge from May.

But this will only apply to flights between Singapore and India, as well as Singapore and China.

The surcharge will be raised to US$30, from US$22.

The surcharge on all other SilkAir flights stays unchanged at US$10 per sector. - CNA /ct
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:18 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but why don't they just increase their fares? It is better than seeing certain good fares at X price and the total comes out to double that because of the fuel surcharges and taxes.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A common complaint, unfortunately. The fuel surcharges have been in for what 3 years? Its long overdue for them to be factored into base fares. It particularly irks for award tickets.
Old May 5, 2005, 1:14 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
The additional fuel surcharge will be effective as of when? May 6? Hmm $60 increase in fares to Singapore.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
SIA increases fuel surcharge again

Just received news from my TA that SIA will be increasing the fuel surcharge. Info as follows:

SIA will increase its fuel surcharge on passenger tickets from 06 June 2005. These increases are as follows:

a) Sector: SIN-HKG (Increase from USD5.30 to USD11 per sector)

b) Sector: HKG-SFO (Increase from USD15 to USD 30 per sector)

c) USD10 per sector for travel btw SIN and SE Asian destinations of Kuala Lumpur, Bandar Seri Begawan, Bangkok, Manila, Penang, Denpasar, Jakatra, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

d) USD12 per sector for travel between SIN and TPE

e) USD22 per sector for travel between SIN and Japan

f) USD30 per sector for all other sectors worldwide

So you may want to issue your tickets prior to 6 Jun if you are already firmed on flying, to avoid the increase in fuel surcharge.

Last edited by hclee01; Jun 2, 2005 at 5:14 am
Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Thanks for the heads up. Really bad timing for me.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

SIA raising fuel surcharge by US$2 or US$15 per sector from Jul 20

Source: CNA

SINGAPORE: SIA is further raising its fuel surcharge on all passenger tickets.

From the 20th of July, the fuel surcharge will be raised to US$12 - for flights between Singapore and Bandar Seri Bagawan, Bangkok, Denpasar, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Penang and Surabaya. That's up from US$10.

On all other flights, the fuel surcharge will go up by 50% - to US$45 per sector - up from US$30.

SIA says the change will give partial relief to higher operating costs arising from persistently high jet fuel price.

Prices are now around US$70 per barrel compared to US$48 per barrel a year ago.

SilkAir is also raising its fuel surcharge.

The fuel surcharge for all its flights between Singapore and China, as well as between Singapore and India will be raised to US$45, from US$30.

For all other flights, it will be raised to US$12 - from US$10.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Crud - need to get busy on outstanding bookings.

Thanks for posting hclee01
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Insanity of oil prices are getting out of hand.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:06 am

Sadly and inevitably

I doubt this will go away anytime soon so buckle up, sit tight and enjoy Krisworld oh, and recoup some of your money in DOM......
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:31 am

OUCH!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't mind paying the extra bucks on SQ even though I'm not happy with the current price of oils not only for air travel, but for my daily usage of automobiles. But I would definately avoid the increase in airfares for other carriers such as UA and CO.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:11 am

Just a quick question for those who fully understand the mechanisms - I thought crude oil was hovering around 60 bucks a barrel as opposed to 70 as stated in the SQ press release.

Am i missing something or is the press release in error?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:19 am

$60 for normal crude (West Texas Intermediate, I believe).
SQ's $70 refers to aviation fuel, which is at a premium.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SQFAN
$60 for normal crude (West Texas Intermediate, I believe).
SQ's $70 refers to aviation fuel, which is at a premium.

Thanks for the clarification! ^ . I wouldn't know the difference between gasoline and diesel.

I thoroughly twatwaffled my car that way one evening

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.