Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Eager anticipation: my first F flights (some questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: some

Hi everyone,

I have my first ever trip coming up in First Class, on Singapore Airlines on an award flight using Air New Zealand points from SYD-SIN-NRT return. ^ I have read through most of the reports but still have a few questions.

1) (One for the NZ-based folks) I will be flying AKL-SYD in Y the morning prior to my early afternoon flight SYD-SIN SQ232. I was hoping to be able to check in and have luggage labelled through to SIN and then on to NRT (SQ998) (all flights leave on the same day). I was also hoping to get my first F tag! Will they a) be willing and able to put that on, b) let me check in at the F counter?

2) On the return from SIN-SYD will I be able to check-in in SIN for my flight from SYD-AKL on NZ as well? (it leaves the same day as the SYD-SIN leaves after midnight). I have an e-ticket.

3) Do I really need to get a decent meal before the SIN-SYD flight (SQ231)that leaves after midnight? I read some reports from last year that you only get a sandwich or something very small, but that may have changed.

4) On the topic of food - on the website it says that caviar is available on long-haul lunch and dinner services. Is SYD-SIN (8hrs) considered long-haul?

5) On SQ's website it says that on daytime flights over 7 hrs sleeper suits and toiletry kits are given out. I remember reading some mixed reports about this for the SYD-SIN-SYD flights - are these available?

6) I have a 11:30 departure from NRT. I understand there are both a UA and a SQ lounge with F sections. Which one would you recommend? Is it worth visiting both?

7) In SYD the NZ lounge is fabulous. I would imagine the F side to be even slightly better. Is there any point in visiting the SQ lounge?

8) Are these flights usually very full in F? (not that it matters much in F I would imagine!)

Sorry if any (or all!) of these questions seem trivial but as you may understand I'm quite excited about this trip so this is all part of the pre-departure fun!

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:32 am

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by Fliar
Hi everyone,

I have my first ever trip coming up in First Class, on Singapore Airlines on an award flight using Air New Zealand points from SYD-SIN-NRT return. ^ I have read through most of the reports but still have a few questions.

1) (One for the NZ-based folks) I will be flying AKL-SYD in Y the morning prior to my early afternoon flight SYD-SIN SQ232. I was hoping to be able to check in and have luggage labelled through to SIN and then on to NRT (SQ998) (all flights leave on the same day). I was also hoping to get my first F tag! Will they a) be willing and able to put that on, b) let me check in at the F counter?

You will be able to check-in at a *G counter if you have that status with *A. You can have your bags through checked to SIN/NRT but the SQ priority F tags will not be available at AKL. They should (if all goes well be attached by SQ handling agents in SYD). If you have enough transit time in SYD, I would go through immigration and customs and re-check-in at the SYD SQ desk. I do not think NZ will be able to give you SQ boarding passes, these will have to be collected at SYD transit desk or if you re-ckeck-in at the check-in counter

2) On the return from SIN-SYD will I be able to check-in in SIN for my flight from SYD-AKL on NZ as well? (it leaves the same day as the SYD-SIN leaves after midnight). I have an e-ticket.

YES

3) Do I really need to get a decent meal before the SIN-SYD flight (SQ231)that leaves after midnight? I read some reports from last year that you only get a sandwich or something very small, but that may have changed.

4) On the topic of food - on the website it says that caviar is available on long-haul lunch and dinner services. Is SYD-SIN (8hrs) considered long-haul?

I cannot recall caviar on the menu and I very much doubt it will be available on a flight that leaves just after midnight.

5) On SQ's website it says that on daytime flights over 7 hrs sleeper suits and toiletry kits are given out. I remember reading some mixed reports about this for the SYD-SIN-SYD flights - are these available?

I received them both ways

6) I have a 11:30 departure from NRT. I understand there are both a UA and a SQ lounge with F sections. Which one would you recommend? Is it worth visiting both?

The SQ F section of the lounge is small and does not have different amenities/food than the main lounge. It is also not very well policed so you do not feel the exclusivity of F. Food is plentiful and varried, can get crowded until the earlier SQ flight is called for boarding. The RCC F lounge is much bigger, exclusive but less varried food. It has shower facilities. You can walk from one to the other but it might take you 10-15 minutes. If you do not intend to use the shower and you have a decent seat in the SQ lounge I would stay there as it is very near SQ's gates. By the way you should get caviar ex-NRT on the 11:30 flight

7) In SYD the NZ lounge is fabulous. I would imagine the F side to be even slightly better. Is there any point in visiting the SQ lounge?

8) Are these flights usually very full in F? (not that it matters much in F I would imagine!)

They can be... (easy answer) but as you said in the F suites of the 747 it does not matter much.
Enjoy !

Sorry if any (or all!) of these questions seem trivial but as you may understand I'm quite excited about this trip so this is all part of the pre-departure fun!

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:37 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
1) Yes, what JackR said - unless you can plead your case to SQ check-in counter staff in AKL to give you some F tags for you to use when you check in on Air New Zealand counter.

3) F food, even supper, is usually good enough for me. But if you don't want to risk it, have enough dinner in SIN F Silver Kris Lounge.

7) SQ F lounge in SYD overlooks the tarmac where SQ aircraft is usually parked. Same style as SIN lounge.

8) On some days, this route may be full in F. I have been forced to travel on C with an F ticket SYD-SIN once. Forgot which flight though.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Fliar
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Will try to answer where I can.

1) Should get boarding pass for all flights leaving within 24 hours of your check-in at AKL. BP will be printed on NZ stock though. As you can use the premium check-in area (as *G) you may be lucky to use F check-in (and get F baggage tag) but I wouldnt count on it. They often invite pax waiting in biz line to check-in anyways. If you dont get F tag then will definitely get priority tagged.

2) As above, onward flight departs less than 24 hours after check-in at SIN so no problem getting boarding pass for SYD-AKL.

3) Not that particular flight but on other midnight SQ flights I have always had enough food. You can snack in the lounge beforehand in any event.

4) Dont know if caviar is available that late.

6) SQ lounge at NRT is very small. Has computers but no shower. Main advantage is great snacks and drinks and right by the gate. Whereas UA is quite a hike at the other end of the terminal.

8) SIN-NRT always looks to be full in premium cabins. Not sure about SYD-SIN but for comparison AKL-SIN seems to be sometimes full and sometimes half full in first from what I seen.

PS Enjoy SQ F long haul. But be warned you will be spoiled now
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
PS Enjoy SQ F long haul. But be warned you will be spoiled now
Yes, I know. I've already opened a savings account to be able to afford the next one
Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:43 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Just on the sleeper suits (PJ's) - I just did MEL-SIN and SIN-MEL last week in F. On MEL-SIN got nada, on SIN-MEL, got the PJ's, the full amenity kit etc... and SIN-MEL is less flight time than MEL-SIN (which is less than the SYD flights) - they were both day flights so go figure. I'd say the chances are reasonable to get the PJ's on at least one sector. Next to useless on the 777's though since they don't have the suites just what I would call SQ's "regional domestic F" seats which are nice, but not a patch on the skysuite (so try to get a 744!). Lots of food in the awesome SQ F lounge in SIN, plus the neat fish tank!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:05 pm

I have transited NRT several times and the general idea is to use the UA lounge for the showers and then off to the SQ lounge for the snacks. I think there are a few other FTers who do this as well. As you are departing NRT the shower might not be a big deal to you. It is a 10 minute walk between the 2 lounges.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Tracon and Richardmel for your replies, very helpful.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Just arrived into SIN from SYD and we had Ossetra caviar for lunch. It was YUM!!!

BTW there were also amentiy kits and PJs handed out. The kit is impressive with a 50ml bottle of BVLGARI after shave.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:08 am
Original Poster

First part of trip report posted - see 'trip reports' forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.