Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Exec Economy vs Thai Business?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
SQ Exec Economy vs Thai Business?

A relative of mine is planning to take the SQ nonstop in Exec Economy. However, she is considering shelling out the extra cash for Raffles out of fear that Exec Economy would be too uncomfortable. She has flown the old Thai biz and found that acceptable.

Can anyone compare pitch, recline, and overall comfort in SQ Exec Economy vs Thai Biz?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I think it depends greatly on the metal that one gets on TG. If its on the older 744 s then the seats are horrible.... Im not sure what sort of progress (if any) Thai is making on upgrading the seats for its Business Class product.

In any event, if this person has found TG Business acceptable then he/she will love SQ Raffles Class.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I think the OP wants to know whether SQ Exec Economy is okay (reference point being TG Business) or stump up the extra $ to go for Raffles.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think the OP wants to know whether SQ Exec Economy is okay (reference point being TG Business) or stump up the extra $ to go for Raffles.
That is correct. Comparison between SQ Exec Economy and (old) 744 TG Business. Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sorry I cant help you myself jtrader
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:54 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
OK.... sorry for misinterpreting. I dont know the data offhand.... I wonder if the websites of each airline carry the information? If not, I think that Business Traveler magazine has reviews of just about every mayor carrier in all clases, maybe you want to check their website?

Sorry, but this is all that I can think of right now....
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:14 pm

SQ EC = comfy seating
TG J = chance to sleep

TG is still a proper business class seat, seat pitch is 50 inches, no PTV. With TG, however, you never know what you get. Risk of getting wobbly old seat. Executive Class on SQ is just a softer Y seat with more leg room.

Last edited by mhtaipei; Sep 27, 2004 at 9:16 pm
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:41 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
This is a rather difficult question to answer.

If the question is is Executive Economy as comfortable as a TG J seat, the answer is no. However, Executive Economy is (so I've heard) significantly more comfortable than regular Y. And Raffles is a whole lot more comfortable than Exec Y, and probably more comfortable than TG J. Everything is relative...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by MovieMan
This is a rather difficult question to answer.

If the question is is Executive Economy as comfortable as a TG J seat, the answer is no. However, Executive Economy is (so I've heard) significantly more comfortable than regular Y. And Raffles is a whole lot more comfortable than Exec Y, and probably more comfortable than TG J. Everything is relative...
I would take TG without question - unless IFE and travel time is a concern.

SQ's Executive Economy may have a good seat pitch but ultimately its still economy - there is little padding/cushioning in the seat so its very hard and uncomfortable. Food wont be as good as TG either. My 2 cents worth.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:55 am

Doesnt TG still have those old seats with the 70s footrests...??? If so, I think that some of those old school seats are harder to sleep in that many modern Y class seats offered today. Sure, Y will be more cramped in terms of space, but as a sleeping surface..... I think its a close call.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

The person is committed to flying SQ. She is booked in Exec Economy right now. She is concerned about being able to sleep in the Exec Economy seat but it is about $3,000 to upgrade to Raffles.

Her main point of reference is previous flights on TG biz LAX-BKK. My understanding is those are the old approx 40" pitch seats which everyone complains about. She felt those were adequate and if SQ Exec Economy were about the same and she felt she would be able to sleep and not have a stiff back at the end of the flight, she wouldn't bother to upgrade.

The question is how would one compare SQ Exec Economy with "old" TG Biz.

Thanks for input.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN
Would that be 3000 US or 3000 Sing. dollars. If its Sing dollars then I say go for it.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:01 pm

Is your colleague pressed for time? Reason I ask is if she can depart a day earlier, then invest some of the money saved (travelling in Exec Economy) into an additional night's accommodation. When my last employer enforced an "economy only" policy, I would travel 1-2 days earlier (depending on the distance & generally on my own time) and use the time to recover at the company's expense - which they agreed was fair for both parties. Slightly OT in terms of your main question for this post, but something else to consider if time is on her side. Another option also is to have her doctor prescribe some sleeping pills.

Cheers, gb.

Last edited by ghostboy; Sep 29, 2004 at 9:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:31 pm

so what you really asking is TG J vs. SQ J... that would be the basis of her decision. I think the answer is clear, financial considerations notwithstanding. TG doesn't begin to compare with SQ.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhtaipei
so what you really asking is TG J vs. SQ J... that would be the basis of her decision. I think the answer is clear, financial considerations notwithstanding. TG doesn't begin to compare with SQ.
No. I'm asking SQ Exec Y vs. TG J. If SQ Y is comparable to TG J, then SQ Y is good enough for her. She already knows that SQ J will be way better. The problem is she has never flown SQ Exec Y so she doesn't know if it will be satisfactory. She feels TG J is satisfactory so that is her benchmark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.