Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Standby Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 3:23 am
dd
Original Poster

SQ Standby Policy?

i was wondering what sq's standby policy is? i would like to leave on an earlier flight from nrt-sin and don't want to go to the airport many hours early only to find out that they don't allow standby... the ticket was purchased from a consolidator and is in y class if that makes any difference. sq said i could not change the outbound as it was a fixed ticket, although the return could be changed...

any insight?

thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by dd
i was wondering what sq's standby policy is? i would like to leave on an earlier flight from nrt-sin and don't want to go to the airport many hours early only to find out that they don't allow standby... the ticket was purchased from a consolidator and is in y class if that makes any difference. sq said i could not change the outbound as it was a fixed ticket, although the return could be changed...

any insight?

thanks.
Well, are you on the outbound or the return?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:50 am
dd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Well, are you on the outbound or the return?
outbound, otherwise i could change it and wouldn't need to standby...
Old Jul 10, 2004, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have on occassion been able to take early flights just by turning up near close of check-in for that earlier flight. This includes NRT-SIN.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:48 am

It is my general understanding that, with the exception of intra-European flights and, to a lesser extent, intra-US flights (which the airlines do not allow earlier standby, to preserve the "value" of fully flexible tickets - as in, if they allowed earlier standby to even cheap tickets, airlines think less people will buy the flexible tickets and go for the cheapest), most airlines adopt a slightly different set of rules depending on before/after you turn up at the airport.

By that, I mean that if your ticket is non-changeable, you would normally get the "no" answer from the reservations agent. But come the day of the flight, if you turn up at the airport early, they quite often overlook the ticket restrictions if the earlier flight has plenty of availability. Especially so if the later flights are booked more heavily. In a way, it also makes sense for them to "fill the plane as people come", so to speak, so that on the later flights they can accept more standby pax and improve the load factor.

But since you're talking about airline bending published rules, nothing is really concrete and depends on a host of factors, not the least the mood of the person you ask. So I guess the answer would be, "It is possible, even likely, but your mileage may vary".
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:50 am
dd
Original Poster

actually, i was asking what the policy is for standby. with ua, you can standby for another flight on the same day as the original flight even on a ticket that can not be changed (i have done this many many times, both domestically and internationally). with aa, they don't seem to allow international standby, but domestic is allowed. i was wondering what sq's policy was... do they have an official standby policy? i know you can sometimes get around published rules by showing up at the airport, but i wanted to know about actual rules. anyway, i guess the point is moot now as i have already taken the outbound flight (i did not try to standby for the earlier flight), but it would be nice to know for a later date...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I think stargold is right that it is NOT policy to allow standby but check in agents will allow anyway if the circumstances are right & you've asked nicely, etc.

The most recent time for me (NRT-SIN mentioned previous post) I got the last seat (well turned out to be 2nd last due to a no show) and think I just was lucky with timing - arriving just when they are closing check-in for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.