Wiki Posts
Search

Hkg-tpe

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Hkg-tpe

I just noticed that there now seem to be 42 daily nonstop HKG-TPE flights on 6 different carriers. I would think this indicates enough demand that SQ could make money on at least one daily flight due to brand loyalty. Does anyone expect SQ to reintroduce HKG-TPE?
Old May 7, 2004, 2:18 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN
There is so much competition, on carriers ie, Dragonair, CX, China Airlines, Eva, Thai, that fares are really low, so SQ would I'm guessing probably not benefit from this route
Old May 7, 2004, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CX/CI fares on the HKG-TPE is very high on a per mile basis. Sure, there is a lot of competition, but demand is hugh. Virtually all traffic between Taiwan and China is funneled through this route. The problem is that most travellers prefer to fly CX/CI as they have close to hourly service. When SQ flew HKG-TPE, they had to sell at around half of the fare CX/CI charged and still had trouble filling their seats. IIRC SQ only flew three flights per week. I would love to see SQ coming back to this market but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by TerryK; May 7, 2004 at 12:32 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 7, 2004, 9:32 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I don't know how significant the traffic is, but IIRC this SQ route HKG-TPE was also intended for people who want to connect to SQ30 (or SQ6 previously) TPE-LAX. It's been a while since I last flew on that route so do correct me if I am wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.