Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ J AKL-SIN-LHR a week ago: disappointing food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:06 am
Original Poster

First off, the cabin crew on both flights were fantastic. And the flights were on time, and Changi was as easy to transit as ever. But... I was slightly shocked at how poor some of the food was. Couple of examples. On the first flight I had the lamb dish, the menu said it was created in conjunction with some famous chef (should have taken a picture, menus have changed since) but it was just dull and grey and lacking in flavour, possibly the worst main course I've had across EVA, SQ, CX, QR, even.... BA... in the last 2 years. On the second flight I asked for a coronation chicken sandwich between meals and it was presented piping hot, with all the sauce having soaked into the surrounding steaming hot bread roll. What ?! There were other things that were mediocre but my general point is - does SQ have a problem with quality of its food in J recently, or was I just unlucky ?

SQ is surpisingly cheap on this particular route in this direction but the seat is a bit of a disaster as a bed, and if the food is going to be patchy then I might have to look at alternatives anyway.

Thank you for listening to my whinge
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:06 pm

I personally haven't experienced SQ J catering out of AKL but outstation catering might not be as good, which could account for the first flight meal. As for the snack/sandwich, it's been a weak point at SQ for years, I believe (that their snacks are so-so). Compare to NH's amazing snack items, for instance.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska
If food is important to you, research a bit more before flight. Some of the meat dish just ain't good when reheated....
Old Apr 7, 2024, 2:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Also may be worth sending the dish back and requesting a different option if it's no good.
Deckter likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
I personally haven't experienced SQ J catering out of AKL but outstation catering might not be as good
Going on last year in J, it's not great and this year on F is better, but that's not an SQ thing because I have heard the same about catering on NZ out of AKL not being great either and that's the home carrier!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:44 am

Programs: NZ
I am on SQ286 AKL/SIN in J right now and I would say that the catering is lacklustre. Not awful, just not inspiring. The BTC steak I chose was different from the description on the website; the desserts were very mediocre and the cheese was rather hard around the edges as it it had been standing in the front galley for some time. I yearned for the originality of QR catering (even with its hits and misses) but you definitely don't get it on SQ. Overall their J product feels tired and outdated.

Last edited by minz56; Apr 10, 2024 at 4:08 am
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Minz - that's pretty much how I felt re all aspects

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.