Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed in regional A350 J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Disappointed in regional A350 J

[size=16px]Total first world problem, but I've had a few flights recently on regional A350s in J and am really surprised at how cramped the seat is. I've flown in staggered layouts before (ANA A380 and 777), and those felt much more spacious. On SQ the space between rows is so tight that I can't stretch my legs at all without putting my feet on the ottoman. And I'm a small person.[/size]

[size=16px]The other problem is that the "bed" is not really flat. There is dip in the middle, which puts more pressure on my calves (because my thighs are not supported due to the dip in the surface). It's not comfortable for sleeping, and I'm really glad I didn't have a redeye flight on this plane. (Despite being supposedly a "regional" plane, this A350 is used on some flights of 7 or 8 hours and some redeyes.) Again, similar staggered seats on ANA are truly flat and are much more comfortable for sleeping.[/size]

[size=16px]I feel like SQ really blew it with this seat. Anyone else feel the same? (I did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to the regional A350.)

Edited to add: I'm now sitting on my connecting flight which is an A380. I've flown on SQ's A380 before, but I had forgotten how spacious the J seats are. This J seat is a totally different world from A350 regional J. Almost feels like a different class of service, it's so much more spacious. [/size]

Last edited by Unimatrix One; Mar 1, 2024 at 8:32 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
totally agree, A350 J is definitely regional product
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I fly the regional A350 a lot and every time my mind goes towards complaining I'm forcing myself to think I could also be on a Lufthansa or BA 4 hour intra-European "business class" flight with just a blocked middle economy seat.
THR and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Or even compare it with the likes of CX and NH, who fly recliners on 3-8 hour "regional" flights. I don't mind such a seat on something as long as a 5h CTS-HKG daytime flight, but NH currently flies those seats on an 8h HND-CGK overnight flight.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:24 am

I hate how narrow the Regional J seat is around the shoulders and how claustrophobic it feels as a result, as well as the lack of PY on those aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yields. Quite simply if the route is relatively low yielding they’re going to stick to a denser product to make the economics work.

No amount of moaning is going to make a difference.

The only solutions for passenger is to fly alternative airlines or to alternative ports and connect to another flight or transfer over land. (eg into MEL instead of ADL, HND instead of NGO etc. )
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:08 am

SQ could have easily designed / selected a better seat, so it's not just about yields - TG's A359 has the same layout but is a much more comfortable seat, for example.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:43 am

Exactly. Totally understand it will need a certain level of density, but (especially as a longlegged bigfooted person who is slim but broadshouldered) I would be quite happy to sacrifice the silly lengths they go to for “privacy” on seats these days in favor of a more open and airy and ROOMY seat…
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Wish they would go with properly padding, comfy armcharis for regional routes. Lieflat is, at most, a niche need for regional flights where there isn't enough time for sleeping anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
It's relative. For those that were/are frequent SQ flyers, the new regional 1-2-1 lie flat J was a decent enough upgrade over the 2-2-2 angled lie flat. Additionally, CX was/is generally using a quite uncomfortable 2-2-2 J on many regional flights, so the SQ seat also checked that box in surpassing CX (irrespective of some of the flaws).
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:43 pm

As a regional biz class seat, I think it's perfectly acceptable, especially when comparing with the competitors.

Isn't TK using the same seat for their long haul flights?

K
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
Wish they would go with properly padding, comfy armcharis for regional routes. Lieflat is, at most, a niche need for regional flights where there isn't enough time for sleeping anyway.
You mean you wish we were back to Ultimo?

Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:14 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KFlyee
As a regional biz class seat, I think it's perfectly acceptable, especially when comparing with the competitors.

Isn't TK using the same seat for their long haul flights?

K
Yes, TK is using this seat model as they current long haul Biz (apart from the 2-3-3 version on 77W).

As another poster mentioned it, to me, the TG seat version of this product is similarly tight and I don't see it as an improvement over the SQ seat, also not from a padding perspective and TG seats can be in crappy shape on top of that.

I can arrange myself well in the SQ seat, even at 1.80m, but I do find the entry / exit to and from the seat quite tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.