Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines or Scoot or ??? from Changi to Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

If we fly JAL we may get there about 17:30. I see Singapore Air has one last flight around 21:30 getting into Bali about midnight. We would have to change terminals. It looks like Scoot would be in the same terminal with maybe one flight in evening. Either way we’d have to check in again except MAYBE we could use transfer desk with Singapore Air.

Flightaware shows no cancellations with either airline. Maybe more delays with Scoot.

I had the suggestion from this forum to avoid SIN but it looks like other options are a bit more expensive. KUL/BKK/HKG.

Are there better options like Jetstar etc?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is a direct flight on Garuda Indonesia between NRT and DPS (not as bad as it may sound), just in case.

If you fly JL one would have to check if Scoot (TR) and JL do interline meaning if your luggage could be checked through. Else you have to collect it, enter SIN and recheck in with Scoot. With SQ, you should be able to check through your luggage from JL to SQ even if it is on two different tickets / two PNRs, but to be certain that is a question for the JL forum experts as your trip would start with JL and they need to do it.

That is exactly the other question. Do you plan to book this as a single ticket or are you prepared to book two independent tickets on JL and SQ or TR?

Not sure if you want JL because you have status or are earning / using miles or such, but I'm not aware of codeshare flights between JL and SQ for SIN-DPS -SIN so I assume two tickets would be necessary.

Rest is a question of cost and convenience mostly (not sure on your desired class of travel, Scoot is Eco only as budget carrier) and all that.

If you fly into KUL or HKG you have the option to connect to another OW carrier with MH or CX and that should be possible to do on one ticket with codeshare flights and added convenience and protection in case of delays or other IRROPS. I'd go that route as well unless it was vastly more expensive. YMMV.
​​​​​

Last edited by demue; Feb 26, 2024 at 7:47 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
There is a direct flight on Garuda Indonesia between NRT and DPS (not as bad as it may sound), just in case.

If you fly JL one would have to check if Scoot (TR) and JL do interline meaning if your luggage could be checked through. Else you have to collect it, enter SIN and recheck in with Scoot. With SQ, you should be able to check through your luggage from JL to SQ even if it is on two different tickets / two PNRs, but to be certain that is a question for the JL forum experts as your trip would start with JL and they need to do it.

That is exactly the other question. Do you plan to book this as a single ticket or are you prepared to book two independent tickets on JL and SQ or TR?

Not sure if you want JL because you have status or are earning / using miles or such, but I'm not aware of codeshare flights between JL and SQ for SIN-DPS -SIN so I assume two tickets would be necessary.

Rest is a question of cost and convenience mostly (not sure on your desired class of travel, Scoot is Eco only as budget carrier) and all that.

If you fly into KUL or HKG you have the option to connect to another OW carrier with MH or CX and that should be possible to do on one ticket with codeshare flights and added convenience and protection in case of delays or other IRROPS. I'd go that route as well unless it was vastly more expensive. YMMV.
​​​​​
Thanks. Everything is about lower price and less hassle. I have no status anywhere.

We would start with AA RDU-JFK. I know of no way to put AA, JAL and SQ on one ticket.

If I arrive on JAL in terminal 3 I think and Scoot leaves from terminal 3, do I have to go through immigration to recheck bags as I don’t believe there is any agreement between JAL and Scoot. I would start on AA then JAL then SQ maybe. AA agent said there is no interline.

We are prepared to go to another terminal for SQ or use transfer desk if possible for luggage.

I would consider non stop JFK-SIN in SQ PE if price goes down. About $3700 total for two pax round trip SQ PE. Not excited about A350 business.

Cathay Pacific has routing through HK to DPS where I want to go. Then SIN-JFK-RDU on return.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I wouldn't overthink the terminal transfer piece, unless looking a Jetstar or Air Asia who fly from Terminal 4. Otherwise it's 5 mins+/- 2 mins difference between staying in the same terminal vs moving between terminals.

If you can't through check luggage from your point of origin, if you take SQ, you almost certainly will be able to get your luggage retagged by presenting at an airside transfer desk.

For Scoot, you will have to clear immigration (allow 30 mins, probably much less) and recheck at the self serve check in facilities. Returning through immigration take less time than security at most airports. (security is done at the gate in SIN - so whether you stay airside or have to go landside, it makes no difference for security).
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Scoot leaves from T1 (think OP wrote T3, may have been a typo) as does JL, SQ is T2 for flights to Indonesia. Even if it was necessary, as advised by lokijuh, the switch of terminals or even simply passing through immigration in SIN and then re-entering airside is no big deal and super efficient and fast (assuming you travel on a US passport).

With Scoot, if you want ScootBiz (a Premium Eco / US Domestic F type seat) only TR280/288 are currently scheduled to be operated by a B788/789 and will have that option. If the flight is operated by an A321 or so, it won't have ScootBiz and will be all Eco seating.

SQ is a fully flat (regional) Biz seat and full service obviously plus lounge access in SIN. With Scoot you would need to get lounge access separately like using Priority Pass or such. Changi is one of the best airports in the world to make a connection. Just leave a decent buffer between your flights if on two tickets. Not because Changi takes long to connect (or exit and re-enter), but to cater for delays of your inbound flight from the US.

Last edited by demue; Feb 26, 2024 at 9:32 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the advice.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Scoot leaves from T1 (think OP wrote T3, may have been a typo) as does JL, SQ is T2 for flights to Indonesia. Even if it was necessary, as advised by lokijuh, the switch of terminals or even simply passing through immigration in SIN and then re-entering airside is no big deal and super efficient and fast (assuming you travel on a US passport).

With Scoot, if you want ScootBiz (a Premium Eco / US Domestic F type seat) only TR280/288 are currently scheduled to be operated by a B788/789 and will have that option. If the flight is operated by an A321 or so, it won't have ScootBiz and will be all Eco seating.

SQ is a fully flat (regional) Biz seat and full service obviously plus lounge access in SIN. With Scoot you would need to get lounge access separately like using Priority Pass or such. Changi is one of the best airports in the world to make a connection. Just leave a decent buffer between your flights if on two tickets. Not because Changi takes long to connect (or exit and re-enter), but to cater for delays of your inbound flight from the US.
So can I ask a follow up?

We’ll probably go with SA economy or maybe Scoot business?

If we arrive in T1 on JAL and transfer to Scoot we would need to go back to Scoot check in desk in the same terminal T1? Versus going from Terminal 1 JAL to Terminal 2 Singapore Airlines to Bali, Indonesia? Let’s say we just forget about any lounges airside or landside. If we are transferring do we go through immigration?

Is 2 hours enough time to either go from T1 to T2 or to go to T1 check in and recheck luggage? Someone on TripAdvisor suggested 2 hours is not enough?

We would like to visit an arrivals lounge but not if that delays us. It is more important to catch our next flight. We arrive 6:45am and would like to maybe take Singapore Airlines at 9am. Or Scoot, whatever the schedule is.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:42 pm

You mean SQ Eco I assume as SA is the airline code for South African Airways. Anyways, whether SQ Eco or Scoot Plus (Biz) is enterly your call, both are perfectly acceptable for a 2.5hrs flight.

AFAIK, if you take Scoot, a transfer (within T1) would not be possible as you have to collect your luggage after your JAL flight (no interline). That means you have to go through immigration in T1, collect luggage, go to Scoot check in, go through immigration again. As bad as it sounds, at Changi Airport this is entirely possible without rushing within the time you have (can probably done in under an hour), assuming your JL flight arrives on time.

There are no airline "arrival" lounges in the "transit area" in Changi to my understanding so your JL Biz arriving flight BP means nothing. They are departure lounges, so lounge access is based on your departing flight. Unless you are *A Gold (if you fly SQ) a SQ Eco ticket doesn't come with lounge access. ScootBiz also doesn't include lounge access IIRC. So you can only use lounges via lounge membership like Priority Pass, Dragon pass, Loungekey etc. For that any departing BP will do.

If you go SQ route and your luggage is checked through by JL all the way to DPS (Bali) then for a change between T1 & T2 you do not need to pass through immigration. You just take the train between terminals and stay "airside", there will be a security check at the gate, that is the way it is at Changi for all flights (no centralised security). As always, if your JL flight is on time, the switch between T1-T2 would take 15-20mins max in my book even if you don't know Changi Airport well. Whatever the person on TripAdvisor stated does not make sense to me, a lot of rubbish advise is floating around there, but I digress.

How much buffer you would like to have between flights to be comfortable is an entirely different story, as you are on two separate tickets. Some people may be okay with 1hr only while others will prefer 3-4hrs or so. The risk here (at Changi) is not an inefficient, cumbersome airport like in so many parts of the world, the risk is primarily late incoming flight into SIN. Only you can answer that question for yourself.
​​​
If you misconnect on two independent itineraries, depending on the fare you bought, SQ or TR (Scoot) could force you to buy a new ticket to get onto the next flight to DPS, that is the risk. Stuff like same day standby or so like what some US carriers offer is not a thing with SQ/TR unless you bought flexible fares. YMMV.
bpk6h likes this.

Last edited by demue; Mar 6, 2024 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is 2 hours enough time to either go from T1 to T2 .
Your biggest risk on all of these is a delayed JL arrival.

T1, T2 and T3 are all connected, in fact there are gates in T1 and T2 that are adjacent to each other. It all depends on luck, and there are scenarios where a T1 to T1 transfer could take longer than T1 to T2 transfer.

Worst case is probably today - the JL flight arrived at C25, whilst the SQ DPS flight departs from F42. That's a 800m walk*, followed by a 0-4 min wait and a 3 min skytrain ride, followed by another 800m walk*: Almost best case - yesterday - JL flight at D34, SQ DPS flight at E27 about 500m* walk. Of course in either case would need to visit a transit desk.

* partially assisted by travellators

bpk6h, demue and sky8713 like this.

Last edited by lokijuh; Mar 6, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Your biggest risk on all of these is a delayed JL arrival.

T1, T2 and T3 are all connected, in fact there are gates in T1 and T2 that are adjacent to each other. It all depends on luck, and there are scenarios where a T1 to T1 transfer could take longer than T1 to T2 transfer.

Worst case is probably today - the JL flight arrived at C25, whilst the SQ DPS flight departs from F42. That's a 800m walk*, followed by a 0-4 min wait and a 3 min skytrain ride, followed by another 800m walk*: Almost best case - yesterday - JL flight at D34, SQ DPS flight at E27 about 500m* walk. Of course in either case would need to visit a transit desk.

* partially assisted by travellators

Thanks to all.

No our luggage will be checked to SIN by AA in RDU. Interline agreement but SEPARATE ticket SIN-Bali.

Does that change your answers? Does that make it more attractive to take train to other terminal for SQ or stay in Terminal 1 for Scoot? Immigration etc?

SQ Bali flights go from T2 NOT T3 like other flights? Does that ever change?

There is a 4:30pm and 9:30pm SQ flight to DPS in case we miss our flight 2 hours (9:30am???) after arrival at 6:45am. Maybe a little less than 2 hour layover.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Haven’t done this before in Singapore.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Scoot economy has no checked baggage allowance, so if you are on a flight without Scoot Plus you'll have to pay for the luggage. And it's expensive at the airport. I wound up having to pay $100 Singapore for about 2 kg over for one bag (flying to Manado). OTOH, I saw a woman in the waiting area with two carryon sized bags and a backpack. When they called for passengers who wanted to check their carryon she checked one of them.

My one experience with Scoot was not great. Aside from the outrageous charge for a small overage in the checked bag, one of my bags didn't make it on the plane and it took three days to get to Manado (there's only one flight a day). And I am certain the only reason I got it finally was because the resort manager had contacts with the Scoot guy at the airport. She was on the phone with them at least 6 times. She kept sending them a screen shot of my phone showing where my bag was at Changi.

If I had the option between Scoot and Singapore Airlines, I'd choose Singapore every time. (I don't think there's that much of a difference in fare SIN-DPS)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks to all.

No our luggage will be checked to SIN by AA in RDU. Interline agreement but SEPARATE ticket SIN-Bali.

Does that change your answers? Does that make it more attractive to take train to other terminal for SQ or stay in Terminal 1 for Scoot? Immigration etc?

SQ Bali flights go from T2 NOT T3 like other flights? Does that ever change?

There is a 4:30pm and 9:30pm SQ flight to DPS in case we miss our flight 2 hours (9:30am???) after arrival at 6:45am. Maybe a little less than 2 hour layover.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Haven’t done this before in Singapore.
SQ flights to SE Asia and South Asia and such all go from T2. T3 is for SQ flights to Europe, US. Check this: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=lq70is28

Given you seem keen to travel onwards from SIN at the soonest after arriving on JL, the SQ option may be a bit safer if you would be able to get your bags tagged all the way to DPS (depends on AA agents in RDU, they don't have to do it AFAIK, but they can as there is an interline agreement, best to ask in the AA forum if unsure) and then 2hrs is comfortable to go T1 to T2 while staying in transit area.

All this is assuming no major delay of your JL flight. Depending on the fare you buy and how full flights will be, SQ "may" accomodate you on the next flight, maybe for a fare difference, maybe free, depends. No guarantees.

With Scoot, you definitely buy a new ticket unless you hold a flexible/ changeable one and the whole process of immigration, picking up the luggage and rechecking it, immigration again and all that adds to your time and anxiety.

Basically, you have a bit more margin of error / "slack" in your itinerary if you can check luggage through onto the SQ flight.

Anyways, your call, there are always risks with separate tickets, you just have to accept that and build in whatever buffers you are comfortable with.

Last edited by demue; Mar 8, 2024 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks all. SQ is not so expensive in coach. We may pay for exit row.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

So thanks to everyone for all the advice. I went ahead and booked SQ economy SIN-DPS. After a long flight in Business. But at least SQ is in the exit row.

*If* we're able to use the transfer desk at Changi on arrival from HND, do we go through immigration first after getting our bags then get to the transfer desk? I'm staring at the map but I'm unsure. I suppose we *do* go through immigration to transfer from T1 JL to T2 SQ? Sorry for the dumb question.

And can you walk from T1 to T2 as it looks like things are connected or is the train the best way?

We have two hours to transfer and there is no arrivals lounge so I guess we should not linger anywhere but we should get to T2 ASAP for our next flight.

Thank you.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:45 pm

Why do you need to go through immigration in SIN if you are travelling AA/JL and then connecting (separate ticket) to SQ?

Did you confirm with the AA experts whether AA would be able / willing to tag your luggage all the way through to DPS even on separate tickets?

If AA tags your bags all the way to DPS there is no need to enter Singapore and hence no immigration and no bag collection. You can take the train to move between the terminals and stay airside the whole time.

You just go to the SQ transfer desk, e.g. in T2 to collect your SQ boarding pass and make sure they do a check on the baggage tags so your luggage gets transferred over. The transfer desk is airside, it is never landside as that would defeat the purpose of serving transit / transfer passengers. In theory though you can also do online check in and get your BP that way and not stop at the transfer desk, but I would stop by anyways to get a physical BP and to ensure the luggage makes it across from the JL flight (it should, but better safe than sorry).

The need to enter Singapore was only if you were to travel on Scoot as there is no interline for luggage through check there.

Last edited by demue; Mar 15, 2024 at 8:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.