Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Advice on changing to earlier flight on F award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold

I have an NRT-SIN-LHR award booked in F in March on a single booking. It's a 77W then the 380.

Currently I'm on the 18:40 departure (77W) . Would prefer the 10:00am if poss (not because its the 380, it's just a better time so I can get some rest between flights instead of landing at 2am for a 9am connection).

The 10:00 shows now award availability today but had waitlist a couple of days ago. Meanwhile there are still 2 F revenue seats available (where there was only one a couple of days ago).

Should I just try calling them to ask for a swap, or is that a waste of time given that there are no award seats showing, not even in waitlist? I've had some bad things happen to my awards before when the phone agent rebooks me (lost entire bookings etc, with endless calls to try to get miles back etc).

What about at the airport on the day if there are revenue seats open?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:47 pm
THR

No point trying if there are no awards. And they won’t change it on the day.
maxmin likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by THR
And they won’t change it on the day.
That's not correct. Once flights are in airport control, the station can do whatever they feel is best for their operations. But without status it's not likely that SQ will do much here.

The OP can call and see whether he can get on a waitlist.
maxmin likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:14 am

Yes worth a shot at the airport. I've managed to snag an upgrade award during check-in once; had to fill in a paper form on the spot.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I'm arriving at HND at 6am... maybe I'll ask them if I can get on the 8am HND-SIN flight and/or if they can put me on the 10am NRT-SIN flight.
In the meantime I'll call SQ if I see any award space open up on either flight.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:46 pm
THR

Originally Posted by SMK77
That's not correct. Once flights are in airport control, the station can do whatever they feel is best for their operations. But without status it's not likely that SQ will do much here.

The OP can call and see whether he can get on a waitlist.
I was being practical.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by maxmin
I'm arriving at HND at 6am... maybe I'll ask them if I can get on the 8am HND-SIN flight and/or if they can put me on the 10am NRT-SIN flight.
In the meantime I'll call SQ if I see any award space open up on either flight.
no you dont want to go to narita from haneda
THR and maxmin like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
no you dont want to go to narita from haneda
Indeed. Minimum connection time NRT-HND is 3.5 hours and that is very tight already. If the inbound is delayed then you are pretty screwed.
maxmin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Opposite challenge and paradox of leaving later which is now earlier

Data point: This morning received multiple messages (email, sms, voiccemail) from SQ informing of delayed departure of SQ 306 into LHR which now retimes my SQ 305 to 10:15 departure. Unfortunately this information was sent about an hour after I went to sleep with a 06:30 taxi booked. Okidoki then. I checked a few things out and discovered SQ 322 had arrived on time wwith a 4+hr turnaround which looked more reliable than the retimed SQ 305 with a less trustworthy 1+ turnaround; rolling delays expected. When I arrived at LHR I inquired about switching to SQ 317 and the very nice and knowledgable agent at the checkin desk worked the matter, calliing the ticketing folks only to find out that my F Saver would not apply to SQ 317 and reticketing would require an additional 100K+ points. Ok fine, so grin and bear it. As I sit in the UA Club (temp SKL during refurb) I now see SQ 305 rolling delays such that it is now departing after SQ 317.

To sum it up after indulging dear readers in the TL post (apology accepted Captain Neda comes to mind) I have the impression that SQ is reluctant to empower front line staff to make changes like this. FWIW: I checked the SQ booking engine online and there are 3 F seats for sale as I post this 2:52 before departure.

Anyway, no sweat. Will enjoy the 777 F, but hanging out in the UA club...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
maxmin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I agree that getting a ticketed F pax (award / saver or advantage regardless) out on a now likely earlier flight (assuming there is space) would make sense and add to the F experience. God forbid one could enjoy Suites over 77W F. On day of travel with a delay most likely caused by SQ (or at least not a frivolous request by a pax) such empowerment should be a given and not even require prompting, but who am I kidding.
cyborg likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:49 am
THR

You will find it the case with most Asian airlines unfortunately.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
One way to know whether this is a lack of empowerment issue or an issue of SQ being very protective of Suites is to see what the answer would be if the scenario were reversed...pax booked on a delayed A380 asking to be switched to an on time 77W.
THR and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by bpk6h; Feb 22, 2024 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Ony way to know whether this is a lack of empowerment issue or an issue of SQ being very protective of Suites is to see what the answer would be if the scenario were reversed...pax booked on a delayed A380 asking to be switched to an on time 77W.
Copy that; interesting situation presented...

The delayed 777 (SQ305) did in fact depart after SQ317 the a380, but turned to be a lovely flight with the best crew I could have asked for, so all good. My greatest concern was a rolling delay turning into a cancel that would hose my connection. Still if I was doing a short connection, would have really appreaciated some accomadation on their part to make the change.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
bpk6h and Singapore_Air like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyborg
Data point: This morning received multiple messages (email, sms, voiccemail) from SQ informing of delayed departure of SQ 306 into LHR which now retimes my SQ 305 to 10:15 departure. Unfortunately this information was sent about an hour after I went to sleep with a 06:30 taxi booked. Okidoki then. I checked a few things out and discovered SQ 322 had arrived on time wwith a 4+hr turnaround which looked more reliable than the retimed SQ 305 with a less trustworthy 1+ turnaround; rolling delays expected. When I arrived at LHR I inquired about switching to SQ 317 and the very nice and knowledgable agent at the checkin desk worked the matter, calliing the ticketing folks only to find out that my F Saver would not apply to SQ 317 and reticketing would require an additional 100K+ points. Ok fine, so grin and bear it. As I sit in the UA Club (temp SKL during refurb) I now see SQ 305 rolling delays such that it is now departing after SQ 317.

To sum it up after indulging dear readers in the TL post (apology accepted Captain Neda comes to mind) I have the impression that SQ is reluctant to empower front line staff to make changes like this. FWIW: I checked the SQ booking engine online and there are 3 F seats for sale as I post this 2:52 before departure.

Anyway, no sweat. Will enjoy the 777 F, but hanging out in the UA club...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Great data point. Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by cyborg
Copy that; interesting situation presented...

The delayed 777 (SQ305) did in fact depart after SQ317 the a380, but turned to be a lovely flight with the best crew I could have asked for, so all good. My greatest concern was a rolling delay turning into a cancel that would hose my connection. Still if I was doing a short connection, would have really appreaciated some accomadation on their part to make the change.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
That is really poor of SQ & not a First Class experience, you purchased a First Class ticket, how you paid should not matter, they had a delay, the real First Class experience would be asking YOU if you wanted to change to the A380 because we have 3 free Suites

Costs SQ nothing & gives you a great impression of SQ !
maxmin and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.