Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Premium Economy vs other airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
SQ Premium Economy vs other airlines?

Has anyone been able to compare PY across several carriers to get an idea of which airlines have the best product?

I've only flown PY on SQ, BA and AY and in terms of the hard product Finnair beats the others hands down: elegant design with an upscale feel, good privacy between rows, big IFE screen with good content.

The BA seat on the other hand was average yet comfy but it might have been an old design as it had a really small and dinky low-res IFE screen - maybe this has since been upgraded?

As for SQ, the hard product seemed underwhelming in terms of the design and privacy offered, but the IFE screen was big and packed with content and the seat recline was quite decent.

As for the soft product they are all good, though I always appreciate the SQ feel and service onboard. Food was probably best on AY, and BA won hands down with the drinks. In terms of the amenity kid I cannot recall if BA had one, but AY's was quite good whereas the SQ one lost out even to regular economy on TK. No biggie though, it's just a small, little addition.

P.S. An interesting fact to end with, my daughter recently took Scoot Plus and then SQ PY two days later and found the Scoot Plus seat much more roomy and comfortable (albeit with no IFE whatsoever). Do we count Scoot Plus as PY for comparison purposes?

Anyone else care to share their SQ vs other carriers PY comparisons?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
SQ PY was dead on arrival and is a mere afterthought. SQ’s obsession to ensure this product is as close to Economy Class as possible has killed the product long before its introduction and SQ has taken no efforts to benchmark PY to its competitors or make it in any way cutting edge. Not worth the money IMHO
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
I dont see the value prop of sq's premium econ.. especially with its current price point. They make no efforts to differentiate from competitors. Tried it once and wasnt impressed.
i used to travel beween asia/singapore and us west coast. BR pe was a superior choice , one thing that differentiated was eva's dedicated lavatories for PE passengers.
sq pe lavatories is mixed together w econ section and its all the way at the back.
Granted theres a transit at TPE, but its still managable with its price point and occassionally allows me for stopovers at tpe for other matters.

Nh pe is also competitive with its lounge access for PE pax.

Sq pe has BTC but the problem is that they heat up your btc very early on, and serve it to you without any drink services. Drinks only come along when the normal meal carts arrive, and by then ur food would be cold, or ur food would be consumed by then. The price of pe is also equivalent to some other carriers business class, which again does not make sense. Example i did Cathay business to tokyo recently with prices that was the same as sq PE. The nicer seat plus lounge access in hkg didnt make my transit any pain.

Didnt meant to rant lol but i think it goes to show our point on sq Pe lol
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SMK77
SQ PY was dead on arrival and is a mere afterthought. SQ’s obsession to ensure this product is as close to Economy Class as possible has killed the product long before its introduction and SQ has taken no efforts to benchmark PY to its competitors or make it in any way cutting edge. Not worth the money IMHO
Originally Posted by yewgene
I dont see the value prop of sq's premium econ.. especially with its current price point. They make no efforts to differentiate from competitors. Tried it once and wasnt impressed.
I flew in SQ PY on a redemption booking so I am unaware of how the pricing looks like, but I couldn't help but notice just how similar the product is to regular economy. It's definitely strange to see a carrier with top-class business and economy products fail so badly with the introduction of PY. Maybe it was just one of these "we have to have it because others do" moments with little thought going into the product itself or even being aware of what the competition has to offer...

On my flight there were literally just 3 rows of PY seats... and the section wasn't even full.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: ba silver
Looking forward to my first trip on SQ PY in March.

What I like is being to pre-select a single seat or extra legroom seat ( for a fee but still worth it).

Also, if flying from the US and are flexible SQ will usually be less expensive.

I paid $ 984 US for this round-trip from from JFK to SIN ( and could have gotten Bali, KUL for an extra $ 100).

There is no way you will find $ 984 on any European airline as they can charge that price on just one leg to their respective hubs.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Looking forward to my first trip on SQ PY in March.

What I like is being to pre-select a single seat or extra legroom seat ( for a fee but still worth it).

Also, if flying from the US and are flexible SQ will usually be less expensive.

I paid $ 984 US for this round-trip from from JFK to SIN ( and could have gotten Bali, KUL for an extra $ 100).

There is no way you will find $ 984 on any European airline as they can charge that price on just one leg to their respective hubs.
That route is probably the only one where it makes sense. FWIW, PY on that appears regularly to be cheaper than on JFK-FRA-SIN
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I've only flown it on SQ1, which was a 777, which was wider than I think anything but an a380. I also had the exit. I thought it was pretty good seat wise for a PE product. The service was still good, the food was pretty average. For me it was only like $300 more RT than Y on SFO-HKG-SFO, so, it seemed a good value. I don't know about today. The lack of a bulkhead in front of the first row makes it a really nice place to spend some time.
NH 777 PE is interesting. I've only flown the pre-the room airplanes, but the seat is extremely good, but it does have a bulkhead. It does have lounge access, which is nice in TYO, but in SFO its just the UC. The food is just Y food, however, ex-TYO you can pay a few yen and get an upgraded meal. Which, honestly was fantastic. Very comparable to J food quality, but less quantity and just served on one plate. This is somewhat poorly advertised, but it is on the website, but between the first meal service and the second on TPACs, you can get served the J wine. I find you have to ask for it, it isn't offered by default.

I don't know, I fly PE for one reason, the seat. I'm a pretty large dude and more then 3-4 hours in Y is just miserable. If I'm booking PE its because J is way to expensive. From that perspective, SQ PE was significantly better. The seat was about the same comfort level, but even the possibility of getting that unlimited leg room seat makes it better for me. However, I don't think they have this config on other planes. I care less about the soft product, but the ANA soft product is a bit better. Service was excellent in both. I think the base food is a touch better on SQ, but the upgrade meal on ANA was so much better. The lounge access puts ANA over.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by aster
Has anyone been able to compare PY across several carriers to get an idea of which airlines have the best product?

I've only flown PY on SQ, BA and AY and in terms of the hard product Finnair beats the others hands down: elegant design with an upscale feel, good privacy between rows, big IFE screen with good content.

The BA seat on the other hand was average yet comfy but it might have been an old design as it had a really small and dinky low-res IFE screen - maybe this has since been upgraded?

As for SQ, the hard product seemed underwhelming in terms of the design and privacy offered, but the IFE screen was big and packed with content and the seat recline was quite decent.

As for the soft product they are all good, though I always appreciate the SQ feel and service onboard. Food was probably best on AY, and BA won hands down with the drinks. In terms of the amenity kid I cannot recall if BA had one, but AY's was quite good whereas the SQ one lost out even to regular economy on TK. No biggie though, it's just a small, little addition.

P.S. An interesting fact to end with, my daughter recently took Scoot Plus and then SQ PY two days later and found the Scoot Plus seat much more roomy and comfortable (albeit with no IFE whatsoever). Do we count Scoot Plus as PY for comparison purposes?

Anyone else care to share their SQ vs other carriers PY comparisons?
I have flown AY Business several times recently and it baffles me how incredibly mediocre it is; thus, I'm not sure how you can be so impressed with its Premium Economy.

However, I have to agree with most of the other comments. SQ has never taken its PY product seriously... I suspect that they intentionally don't want to make it closer to business than economy fearing that it will cannibalize business bookings. JL and CX don't really provide a significant level of differentiation between their regular Y and PY, so perhaps SQ simply hasn't needed to improve its PY offering.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SMK77
Don't disagree. Yet it always seems quite full (I guess they could be upgrades) and fares very bullish, for example they are selling it for $4,800-$5,500 AUD return from Australia to Europe, for June departures. Only slightly less than AY charge ... in business (codesharing on QF between Australia and Asia), or about the same/more expensive than JQ/TK business which is effectively PE between Australia and Asia and Asia/Europe in business.

I think the prices the charge on sales on the US routes ex-SIN represent good value ($1500 to SFO, $1700 to NYC) and have happily paid those prices (which are effectively economy prices) for those flights. But $2000+ from Singapore to MEL return, no thank you...
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yet it always seems quite full
PY has been commercially very successful with many SME that don’t want to put their employees in Business Class. Of course no employee will refuse a marginally better product if they don’t have to pay for it. I don’t anyone who travelled PY and was impressed. It’s tarnishing SQ’s reputation and they should leave to race to the bottom to US carriers.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Hello all,

My 2 cents worth, based on flights in PEY on SQ, QF, BA, LH, NH:

SQ's PEY has a good hard product (i.e. seat) on the A380 and 77WR (i.e. 777-300ER). The PEY hard product on the A350 is average. Somehow the A350 PEY seats (in 2-4-2 layout) remind me more of Y seats, and subjectively seem less spacious than the A380 or 77WR PEY seats. Still, the SQ A350 PEY seats have good recline and are comfortable. The SQ A380 PEY cabin is great because it is in front of the main deck of the A380, with the toilets just behind it. You don't need to pass through the Y cabin to use the toilets.

Compared to the other airlines I have tried, QF's PEY seats on the A380 (2-3-2 upper deck) and 787 (2-3-2) are the best I have tried. NH''s 787 PEY seats (2-3-2) look a little old fashioned, but very comfortable. BA's PEY seats are decent and LH A380 PEY seats (2-4-2 main deck) are good too -- comparable to SQ.

As for catering, this is where there is the greatest disparity. SQ and NH catering is essentially Y catering, with a few extra options (NH catering is all paper cups, which I did not like). LH catering is Y catering with some additional J-like dishes and glassware. If I am not wrong (it's been a while), BA has a J main course for one meal for PEY. The best catering by a large margin is QF's PEY catering, which is practically domestic business class, with PDB, real glassware and real china.

My favourite PEY by far is QF. I would fly SQ PEY, but I don't look forward to it the way I look forward to QF PEY. I would rate SQ PEY as quite average, and only worth the $ or miles for the hard product, as the catering is essentially Y catering.

I am flying from SIN to JFK on the SQ nonstop in PEY this week, so perhaps my opinion might change, but at the moment, given the choice, I would pick QF PEY over SQ PEY any day.
Stratoliner777, Kacee, m.y and 2 others like this.

Last edited by sqyf; Jan 8, 2024 at 8:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:30 am

Thank you for these details, I have personally suspected that although the SQ Premium Economy seat is generally the same across aircraft, the cabin environment contributes to a different feeling on the A380 vs B777 vs A350. I am currently considering the possibility if booking Y+ on SQ in the near future...

...on a separate note, however, on some flights it seems really difficult to find Y+ upgrade availability (KrisFlyer miles). I'm wondering whether I need to book 8-10+ months in advance...
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It sounds like some are bringing J expectations into the PE cabin.

I've only flown PE on west coast - Hawaii (UA and AA). The appeal has never been the soft product, but rather not being squeezed in 10 across (on a 77W) or 9 across (on a 788) in Y. Put aside the carriers' marketing; PE is really about misery reduction rather than a true premium experience.
returnoftheyeti likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 2:38 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
have you checked Japan airline PEY? it has always been great hard product and with latest 350-1k PEY is far better than qF domestic J it appears. i never flown it myself but something to keep in mind if OW/*A choice is not too important and when they fly to more lOnghaul destination.

personally for flights of up to 8-9hr PEY is sufficient on my own money if value proposition is there vs busIness offering. so far never felt compelled to try SQ PEY for reassons already mentioned above, which is a flipside of their ssuperior Y product
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It sounds like some are bringing J expectations into the PE cabin..
People expect a decent product that - in case of SQ - is at least comparable or better than what competition offers.

In my books QF offers the best PY but JL is also putting a lot of effort into theirs:

- dedicated PY cabin crew
- clearly differentiated food and beverage offering
- clearly differentiated table ware and amenities

SQ has one factory assembly line using the same crew across PY and Y, food is unchanged from Economy and presentation is borderline unacceptable. Service in PY is awfully slow and uncoordinated and the whole product feels like the result of the biggest cost cutting done by morons.

I have a lot of respect for SQ but Premium Economy is something they got wrong in all aspects. It’s a neglected orphan product hurting their reputation.
kalo93406 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.