Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ change schedule - but miles used for award booking have long expired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Poster

when SQ changes schedule and offer complimentary rebook of different date or cancel, do i get the (expired) miles back if i choose to cancel?

if yes, then what is the new expiration date for the expired miles?

just to be clear , the miles have expired long ago (several months ago) when the schedule change happen
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
I had this scenario happen to me 2 years ago. Miles had expired and aircraft was downgraded from 77W with F to A350 J only.
SQ offered a rebook (with downgrade from F to J) for SIN-SFO.
Had I declined the re-book and cancelled, I would have lost the expired miles forever per SQ.
After leaving multiple messages on their US Krisflyer telephone line, I got a call back about 2 weeks later.
With the agent on the line, I was able to get SQ to release an F revenue seat for SIN-LAX for my original travel date.
There is a detailed thread on this with many helpful comments from local SQ flyers.
Look up my thread "SQ 2 cancelled"
sydunipete likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
I had this scenario happen to me 2 years ago. Miles had expired and aircraft was downgraded from 77W with F to A350 J only.
SQ offered a rebook (with downgrade from F to J) for SIN-SFO.
Had I declined the re-book and cancelled, I would have lost the expired miles forever per SQ.
After leaving multiple messages on their US Krisflyer telephone line, I got a call back about 2 weeks later.
With the agent on the line, I was able to get SQ to release an F revenue seat for SIN-LAX for my original travel date.
There is a detailed thread on this with many helpful comments from local SQ flyers.
Look up my thread "SQ 2 cancelled"
interesting, so basically there is no leeway even when SQ is the one making the change
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by gnomey
interesting, so basically there is no leeway even when SQ is the one making the change
Well in the story you quoted, the customer did end up with an F flight to a neighbouring city, so there is some leeway compared to their initial offering. But it's a variable process, sometimes the only alternate flight they will offer is not convenient (they once offered me a replacement flight 7 hours earlier, which would have required me to get an overnight hotel room at the airport). I have never heard of them offering reactivation of expired points though, so I suggest you work out an acceptable alternative flight if you don't want to lose the points.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:51 pm

Don't think that's true. My friend mentioned his flight was involuntarily disrupted by SQ and he opted for a refund instead of a rebook. He got back the expired miles in his ticket + 6 months extension. IIRC it was 6 months extension from date the refund happened.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bent
Don't think that's true. My friend mentioned his flight was involuntarily disrupted by SQ and he opted for a refund instead of a rebook. He got back the expired miles in his ticket + 6 months extension. IIRC it was 6 months extension from date the refund happened.
this is good news. did he get all these done online? (no phone or human interaction required)

i didnt try the "refund" route this time bc i have some flexibility and could make alternate flights.

but would like to know for future since i still have other SQ bookings...
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska
the default is to expire the miles 3 years after you earn it. Anything beyond the default, you are trying your luck.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gnomey
this is good news. did he get all these done online? (no phone or human interaction required)

i didnt try the "refund" route this time bc i have some flexibility and could make alternate flights.

but would like to know for future since i still have other SQ bookings...
In such a situation, one will have to ask for this specifically by pointing out that the change was done by SQ and ask them to escalate your proposal to management and this can be done and such. I highly doubt it would be automatically offered and agents would probably still tell one it is not possible blah blah blah ignoring that such circumstances were not caused by the passenger.

One needs to be smart about this if impacted, one should not touch ones booking online, don't trigger online cancellation as that will follow the standard process and very likely the outcome will be that the expired miles will not be refunded but be gone and one would have agreed to the standard cancellation terms as part of that online process (not favorable).

One cannot expect proactive thinking and needs to spell out what one is asking for and until that is agreed by SQ don't let them mess with the booking. YMMV.

​​​​

Last edited by demue; Dec 30, 2023 at 10:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.