Search

YYZ to BKK (via Singapore/NY)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50k
YYZ to BKK (via Singapore/NY)

Hi,
i'm overdue for a trip to SE Asia and when comparing flights from YYZ to BKK vs. EWR/JFK to BKK via Singapore there's a huge delta in Premium Economy (lets say for march of next year, typically 1 week trip max two, prefer travelling on weekends but I have flexibility where I can travel on week days e.g. 10 trip to avoid weekend peaks for max $ savings)

From Toronto direct routing on google flights it's around $3.5k CAD for a trip under 24 hours.

If I search direct from NY to BKK (via Sin) it's $2k CAD for this leg, and I'd need a repositioning flight to get from YYZ to NY, which is definitely going to be less than $1.5k

I'm trying to book it all under one reservation but can't seem to figure it out.

Going via Singapore airlines site, I can get it to price a 1 stop trip (yYz - ewr - SIN) but can't get the 2 stop (to get to BKK) without the price jumping to something insane like $10k.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, get yourself to EWR / JFK on separate ticket and don't try to force it as a code share all onto one SQ ticket. Leave buffer, maybe even an overnight at airport hotel or so, and get much lower pricing.

The issue is likely that the feeder flight from YYZ has no PEY and may pull a full fare Economy pricing and all that makes it crazy expensive. You can try to see price all in Eco (just for comparison) and judge from that.

If still very expensive it means that the code share fares agreed with SQ are all high fares only and no "discount" fares are loaded / offered.
lokijuh and liquidpop like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Got it thanks for confirming.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Note that YYZ-NYC is an absolutely awful route for delays and cancels, with EWR being worst but JFK/LGA not that much better. I would definitely recommend an overnight in New York on the outbound.
liquidpop likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:44 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Note that YYZ-NYC is an absolutely awful route for delays and cancels, with EWR being worst but JFK/LGA not that much better. I would definitely recommend an overnight in New York on the outbound.
Yup, exactly. Doing an overnight is de-risking the travel a fair bit. Nothing is for certain though and in an extreme situation OP will still be faced with being on two tickets so that's where travel insurance comes in.

One could try to go via a travel agent (or try OTA) to piece together the YYZ-/EWR/JFK in Eco and then connect to SQ EWR/JFK-SIN in PEY and still get a reasonable fare when on one ticket, but I don't know if OP has access to a good one, plus this usually makes sense for Biz / First type fares where a TA may still be interested to assist, but for Eco / PEY maybe not so much.
liquidpop likes this.

Last edited by demue; Oct 12, 2023 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.. need to do a bit more thinking about this.

If I add in a positioning flight (approx $300 cad right now) and hotel (lets say $200) , the cost of $2.5k is still materially lower than a shorter total duration 1 stop (e.g. EVA via TPE) of ~$3.5k, i.e. I save $1k. Don't think I'll survive a 24 hour transit in economy anymore

So it's do I spend $3.5k for a PY Eva fare, or go with SIN. I'm tempted to try SIN as it's been a long time since I've flown with them and think if i can swing the single seat in PY with surchage it'll be a reasonable trip albeit longer on the trip there.

The way back is where it's a bit messier - I think I'll have to not check luggage so I can guarantee myself enough time to make the connection back to YYZ (without adding another day to route from NYC->YYZ).

Based on timing I think EWR works better both ways
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
It's a bit crazy really, noticed flying from Toronto or Montreal it's double the price, but also noticed you can book flights out of Ottawa all on one ticket (with NYC-SIN and vv in PE) for $2120 CAD (on the date I looked at).
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
It's a bit crazy really, noticed flying from Toronto or Montreal it's double the price, but also noticed you can book flights out of Ottawa all on one ticket (with NYC-SIN and vv in PE) for $2120 CAD (on the date I looked at).
Nice find, playing around with Google Flights may be something OP should consider. If one can get a reasonable Y/PEY combo fare on one ticket with the EWR/JFK on SQ in PEY then that is a decent deal and to be preferred.

If nothing works out, to be honest, personally I may still be tempted by BR directly from YYZ and in PEY all the way even at the higher price. BR is very good in my book and while I only have experience with them in Biz, I did find them even better than SQ on my flights (long-haul from Europe and Intra Asia connection), but that's a different discussion. YMMV
liquidpop likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

ya i've played around quite a bit (trying to go in March and with the number of vacation days I have I have flexibility on not tying both flights to the weekend but flights generally are just still elevated right now) . Normally I try to stick with AC given points/status but the AC PY is even more insane...

I think in terms of direct-ish flight, EVA is smoothest agreed at 24 hr 1-stop, but $3.5k.

SIN + positioning of $300 + maybe $200 for hotel comes to $2.5k. I'd argue $1k saving for 1 less day is probably worth it and if i depart say mid-afternoon even factoring for delays/cancellations there's enough flights remaining in the day I should be able to get where I want to.

Still mulling this over - wish the YYZ -> HKG direct was restored but not happening anytime soon given geopolitics which is inflating flight prices to SEA/China.

I have time to think... ( Checked out the ottawa positioning flight but at 36 hours transit + getting to ottawa, I think NYC + SIN is better)

Appreciate all tips so far!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.