Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No option to upgrade with points

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

No option to upgrade with points

Booked return flights: December-January with cash. My husband and kids are on a seperate booking in Y and I have been trying to look at upgrades with points every so often, just to see how many points will be needed (Y to J) at least on some routes. But whenever I try to select “upgrade with points” on the SIA App under “manage booking” or even if I try on their website on a PC, nothing happens.
is this because I need to wait for award tickets to be available or is there another way to upgrade or what? December doesn’t seem that far away..

Old May 17, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
You don't mention where you're travelling to/from, but that's peak holiday travel for SG (and many parts of the world). It's unlikely there's availability. Upgrading with points is the same inventory as outright award with points. A paid ticket+upgrade isn't easier to come by.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
award space in the premium cabins goes very quickly after they're released, and all the moreso for the December-January peak. It's highly unlikely you'll find space now. You may get really lucky and award seats are released, but don't count on it.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:24 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
just noticed your other thread about the best seats in the A350. So were you able to confirm upgrades?
Old May 18, 2023, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sol95
just noticed your other thread about the best seats in the A350. So were you able to confirm upgrades?
no.. the business class seat is what I paid for with cash (for myself). The rest of the family are in Y - my husband doesn’t want to spend the $ on the kids and he’s happy to fly in Y with them but from my previous experience travelling this way, I know I would have a much better experience having them with me.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sol95
award space in the premium cabins goes very quickly after they're released, and all the moreso for the December-January peak. It's highly unlikely you'll find space now. You may get really lucky and award seats are released, but don't count on it.
so there is little to no chance that award seats will be released closer to the travel date?
Old May 18, 2023, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fimo
You don't mention where you're travelling to/from, but that's peak holiday travel for SG (and many parts of the world). It's unlikely there's availability. Upgrading with points is the same inventory as outright award with points. A paid ticket+upgrade isn't easier to come by.
is there some way to be notified when they do come up?
Old May 18, 2023, 1:59 am

There's probably already a waitlist and depending on your travel dates, waitlist might even be closed. You can only just check everyday.
Dozbez likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Dozbez
so there is little to no chance that award seats will be released closer to the travel date?
Nope. Certainly not during the Dec-Jan period
Old May 18, 2023, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Nope. Certainly not during the Dec-Jan period
ok. Well if anything, this makes me feel much less of a sucker for buying full price tickets when everyone in the universe other than myself seems to have found a way to hack the points system and pay next to nothing for business & first 🤷🏻‍♀️ this is the only time of year I can travel so at least I feel better about paying $ given there’s not really another option
Old May 18, 2023, 4:48 am
Original Poster

There's probably already a waitlist and depending on your travel dates, waitlist might even be closed. You can only just check everyday.
That’s not really an option for me to check every day, but I take your point. I’ll just be grateful for being able to fly at all during that busy period 🙏
Old May 18, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I assume you are in a booking class that is eligible to be upgraded:

For redemption of upgrades from Economy to Premium Economy Class or Business Class, only tickets purchased in Economy Standard (M, H or W booking classes) and Economy Flexi (Y, B or E booking classes ) on flights operated by Singapore Airlines are eligible.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I assume you are in a booking class that is eligible to be upgraded:
the syd-sin-mxp route has booking class E and the way back is booking class M, so I guess the tickets are eligible - but there’s just no option to redeem miles on this route at that time of year 🥺
Old May 18, 2023, 10:31 am

It's unlikely but I wouldn't give out hope completely. I saw some award availability open up SIN-JFK close in last year for Dec so it does happen. I was checking multiple times a day.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dozbez
That’s not really an option for me to check every day, but I take your point. I’ll just be grateful for being able to fly at all during that busy period 🙏
Why? It takes 30sec... no one is *that* busy - if you want the upgrade, you have to play the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.