Search

Traveling with an infant on SQ

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Traveling with an infant on SQ

Hello All,

I've only flown SQ twice. We did the EWR/SIN nonstop and then onto BKK return in Premium economy and same journey another time in biz. (I am aware that the SIN-BKK-SIN is in economy).

My wife and I want to take our son out to meet his family in Thailand when he turns one year old. Fares look like this -

JFK-SIN-BKK return in PE - 2 adults and child in lap - $2600
JFK-SIN-BKK return PE - 2 adults and child in seat - $3300

JFK-SIN-BKK return in J - 2 adults and child in lap ~ $8000
JFK-SIN-BKK return in J - 2 adults and child in seat ~ $10000

I've never flown with a child before, I am thinking the sweet spot would be the $3300 fare and hopefully a bassinet row so he could sleep in the bassinet and maybe feed in his seat. Has anyone done one of these long flights with an infant please? Any advice? Am I wasting money on a seat for him? An extra $700 bucks for a bit of extra comfort over 40 hours of flying sounds good to me. Is it east to get the bassinet seats please?

TIA,
Old May 15, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I would definitely not do 2 adults and child in seat in J. At one year old your child will occupy his own seat for exactly 0% of the flight.

In your scenario I would probably do 2 adults and child in seat in Y (not even PE), and bring along a Stokke Jetkids type of carry-on for a bit more lying down room. Reason would be 3-abreast in Y and lifting up the armrests would be a great play area for your child to be close and comfortable to both parents.

Last edited by shuigao; May 15, 2023 at 7:57 pm
Old May 16, 2023, 5:47 pm

We have traveled a few times with our twins and I can tell you that after around eight months of age they became more of a challenge when traveling. I disagree with the statement that if a one year old has their own seat they will be in it for 0% of the flight. I found that some children that age can sleep better in a car seat vs on your lap . At around 7-8 months our children slept well in a bassinet for their naps. At around 15 months we didn't have the option of a bassinet in business class (Delta) and the kids really wanted to squirm around. If they fell asleep in your arms you couldn't get up to use the restroom or eat a meal. The bulkhead seat on the A350 looks wide enough for the child to sleep side by side in J.

On such a long flight it may be nice for your child to have their own seat so that you both can get some sleep. Or, have them in a separate place while you take meals. We've not traveled with a car seat, but on long car trips they seem to fairly comfortable. We are flying SQ out of LAX on the direct flight with them as lap infants at 23 months and the bulkhead seats look wide enough for them to sleep next to us. We are traveling with my mother in law that will give an extra set of hands. We booked an award flight out and are on a wait list for the return. If the wait list does not clear we are likely going to take a hopper flight to KUL as the J airfare is $2,300 plus 10% of the infant. Our limit in economy would likely be 8-9 hours. I wouldn't even consider 20 hours in Y. I would imagine the recover time on arrival in BKK and then your arrival in JFK are going to be longer.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
the J airfare is $2,300 plus 10% of the infant.
I've heard of air tickets costing an arm and a leg, but 10% of a baby is ridiculous. Which 10% do they want?
Old May 16, 2023, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by snic
I've heard of air tickets costing an arm and a leg, but 10% of a baby is ridiculous. Which 10% do they want?
Ugh, I probably should have asked.
Old May 17, 2023, 4:43 am

Unless your 1yr old is very small for his age, he won’t fit in a bassinet. Most airlines have an age and length restriction. We tried getting a bassinet for our son at 13 months (different airline) and they refused. You might be able to still get the bulkhead seats but from what I understand, you could be moved to accommodate another family that needs a bassinet for their infant. We’ve travelled for years with babies and toddlers since they were as young as 6 weeks old, always in economy. Once they were too big for bassinet we booked a seat for them and strapped them into a car seat on the plane. It was perfect because they slept beautifully and didn’t need to be held, even when awake. Thinking back on those toddler travel days brings back memories of endless walks up and down the aisles trying to tire out my little one 😩 it’s a lot more enjoyable now that they’re 11, 9 and 6! Anyhoo, enjoy! 😅

edit: here’s what I found on SIA website (quite a generous size, your 1yr old might just fit) 👍🏻:

BassinetsBassinet seats in Premium Economy and Economy Class are reserved for passengers with infants, on a first-come-first-served basis. Each bassinet measures at 768mm (L) x 298mm (W) x 158mm (H), and can support a maximum weight of 14kg.

Last edited by Dozbez; May 17, 2023 at 4:48 am
Old May 21, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I disagree with the statement that if a one year old has their own seat they will be in it for 0% of the flight. I found that some children that age can sleep better in a car seat vs on your lap
Good point, I completely forgot about the sleeping scenario. I would therefore need to amend my statement to say the one year old will be in it for 0% of his/her waking hours, but his/her own seat will be great for naps/sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.