Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York to Singapore best route?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:35 am
Original Poster

New York to Singapore best route?

I wanted to know people's experiences on the multiple options for these routes and what is the best flight to take for either Business class/Prem Economy

There are three options
  • JFK to SIN direct - SQ23 - A350
  • EWR > SIN direct - SQ21 A350
  • JFK > Frankfurt > SIN - SQ25 A380
What are people's experiences on these for business class/prem econ and what would you guys best recommend?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Welcome to FlyerTalk There are many threads here discussing those options. Here are just a handful.

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more
The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route
JFK-FRA-SIN or EWR-SIN for Business?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
I did find some scattered threads but could not find a definitive thread that compared all three routes and their advantages/disadvantages. I am brand new to award travel and plant of fly NY to Davao City, PH multiple times a year and my only best options for this are SQ or PAL (and I'll skip on PAL). So if I become a full-time SQer, I'd like to know what are my best options as I don't mind any of these three routes.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redpartyhat
I wanted to know people's experiences on the multiple options for these routes and what is the best flight to take for either Business class/Prem Economy

There are three options
What are people's experiences on these for business class/prem econ and what would you guys best recommend?
Thank you.
I did find some scattered threads but could not find a definitive thread that compared all three routes and their advantages/disadvantages. I am brand new to award traveland plant of fly NY to Davao City, PH multiple times a year and my only best options for this are SQ or PAL (and I'll skip on PAL). So if I become a full-time SQer, I'd like to know what are my best options as I don't mind any of these three routes.
Those ex NYC flights cash paid tickets? Or hoping for awards?
Award class of travel? Getting awards (to SIN or Phillinpines) is far from guaranteed. More so if want better than economy. Will be several airlines/alliances that may have awards.

Another thread by OP-->Advice - What US airline should I commit to if I plan to fly SQ long-term?
SilverChris likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Thank you.
I am brand new to award travel and plant of fly NY to Davao City, PH multiple times a year and my only best options for this are SQ or PAL (and I'll skip on PAL). So if I become a full-time SQer, I'd like to know what are my best options as I don't mind any of these three routes.
If you're looking for awards in a premium cabin, the best route to take is whatever you can get your hands on. It's quite rare to have luxury of choice between all three NYC-SIN options on awards.

But to try and answer your original question on which flight is best, there isn't a single clear winner. There are many factors in play, so it really depends on what matters to you more. Some people have a strong preference between EWR and JFK, some like stretching their legs in FRA, while others like to leave at a particular time of the day. It's tough to answer without knowing a bit more about your preferences.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Plus the flight via FRA will go to 77W sometime end March IIRC, so some difference in seats depending on cabin.

Direct flight saves time, but it really depends what class you travel, what departure times suit you, paid vs. award, etc. Ultimately you need to form your own opinion based on your preferences.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Which connects best to Davao?

Other than that it's down to personal preference. Some prefer the chance to break the journey hence 25/26 work well for them, If looking for award availability you may even end up being stuck with SIN-FRA-JFK on SQ326/SQ26, which means an overnight in FRA, and actually not bad at all and or/ SQ25->SQ325 which is an afternoon in FRA, which is probably not so good. Some prefer to depart in the evening and arrive first thing in the morning (SQ23 and SQ22). I prefer departing in the morning and arriving in late afternoon/early evening (so I don't need to stay up for a whole day on arrival) (SQ21 and SQ24).

The other of course if you have a preference for EWR or JFK.

In summary, if you don't have a preference for EWR or JFK, focus on the timings you might prefer, in flight really not that much of a difference.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver

There are three options
Have flown all 3 either in J or PY - some thoughts:
- Choice between JFK and EWR has been debated ad nauseam probably depends on where in NYC you're coming from more than anything else, but the lounge situation at JFK is pretty dire right now (Air India or Primeclass or $30 food voucher), while VS Clubhouse in EWR is decent (but windowless and gets a little crowded)
- Also if you don't have precheck JFK T4 security is a hot mess in the evening as well
- The nonstops can feel really long (especially when you're 11 hours in and realize you have 6 more to go), and if you have lounge access it can be nice to break up the journey with a shower in one of the FRA lounges, but I think I prefer not having to do the whole prepare cabin for landing - disembark - reboard - takeoff sequence with the connection in FRA
- Personally prefer the SQ23 schedule (late night / morning arrival) compared to SQ21 (morning departure / evening arrival) - on SQ21 the crew turns off all the lights after serving lunch, but if you're on EST I find it's a huge struggle to fall asleep, whereas on SQ23 I just sleep the whole way with breaks for food in between (and then nap after landing in SIN)
- If flying premium economy and traveling alone would prefer the nonstops on the ULR if you're willing to pay for the single seats at the back of the cabin (so much more space and nice to have no seatmate)
global_b likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:37 am
Original Poster

SIN is the only major airport that connects to Davao outside of MNL
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you are paying out of pocket for J, PR127 non-stop to MNL is probably the best. Flying to SIN then to DVO is a bit back-tracking. If you have to fly SQ, then SQ23 is better. The early morning arrival allows better connections.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:36 pm

flying into NAIA and doing a terminal change is a very painful endeavor though
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
SIN is the only major airport that connects to Davao outside of MNL
I meant which of the SQ flight connects best to Davao? Unless you want a stopover or long layover in SIN, that would be the factor that determines which flight I would take.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:24 pm

May 15 not March
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:26 pm

I have flown all 3 (SQ25/SQ26 on Economy and PE) and I personally find SQ23 the most convenient. A night departure from JFK and you arrive in Singapore in the morning. You lose just a day, whereas on SQ21 you practically lose 2 days since it's a day flight and you arrive in the evening. The lounge situation at JFK isn't too good right now but that shouldn't be a determining factor
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Having flown both SQ23/24 and SQ25/26 my personal preference is 25/26 because the stop in FRA helps break my sleep in a way that lessens the impact of jet lag upon arrival in SIN/JFK. Instead of a long sleep, I can only do a 2-hour nap on the sector between FRA and JFK, a shower in FRA helps. I can have a longer sleep later between FRA and SIN. For me personally, the extra flight hours and minor stopover annoyance are worth it because I lose less time due to jet lag upon arrival in SIN or JFK. Just my two cents. I do recognize that everyone's sleeping patterns or susceptibility to jet lag may not be similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.