Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Business Class 777-300ER or A380

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

SQ Business Class 777-300ER or A380

Hi,

I'm planning to redeem business flight for LHR-SIN.

I have only flown on the old A380 business cabin and the A350 business class cabins so far.

I have never been on a SQ 777-300ER or A380 newer business class cabins.

As there are both 777-300ER and A380
flights available, which one do you recommend if I not bothered about the time of the flight, more of the overall business class experience.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Biz seat on the SQ77W will be same than what you experienced on SQ A359, the 2013 (seat back) fold down version.

The SQ A388 has the newest Biz seat which is the 2017 version where the seat reclines to flat like on other carriers. If you never tried that one, it could be worth a test for comparison.

Some folks like the 2013 J, personally I'm more comfortable in the 2017 J seat, but preferences differ.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:52 pm

there is also the noise level and cabin altitude to consider - a380 way ahead on those
demue and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:10 am

If you enjoyed the 2006 J seat (still my favourite, but now defunct) you'd find the 777-300ER seat to be a harder, more streamlined version of that. And the A380 version is, while latest with funky decorative lighting, narrower in width plus come with the convenience of no flipping over to convert from seat to bed.

I'd still go for the A380 because it's much quieter - always arrive refreshed, unlike the 777-300ER.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Oct 28, 2022 at 8:39 pm
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I'm the 77W weirdo ...I would choose it all day and every day over the A380. I've never been able to sleep well on the new A380 J seat. The front mini cabin on the 77W is not a bad experience.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by pesos
there is also the noise level and cabin altitude to consider - a380 way ahead on those
What is "cabin altitude"?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by snic
the equivalent elevation that the cabin is pressurized to. Traditional airframes are pressurized to ~8000 feet but a380/787/a350 are more like 6000 ft. Makes a difference especially on longer flights. The 787/a350 are also significantly less dry - not sure about the a380 on that.
snic likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
I believe they are referring to the pressure in the cabin, which on the A380 is akin to the pressure felt at a lower altitude compared to the actual altitude -- less tiresome for the pax. Unless I am mistaken.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: None
So I just flew the 2017 J (A380 seat) on a 7hr overnight (midnight) flight and am happy to answer any questions anyone might have about it. I’ll write a brief review and compare it to the seat on the A350LH and Boeing 777-300ER (2013 J, found on aforementioned aircraft).

The A380 seat feels better in the upright position thanks to those ‘wings’ in the seat that provide really good back support whereas the A350 seat is “flat” in comparison.

I didn’t have a bulkhead seat and found no problem sleeping in the footwell as I’m anyways I’m not that tall and I usually sleep on my side so it worked out fine. The supplied bedsheet that’s provided to cover the seat is really minimally useful, all it does is change that you sleep on a fabric surface rather than the leather surface of your seat - my point of criticism with the A380 seat is that, in my view, the bed surface is too firm. I did get some shut-eye but the issue is, on this midnight-departure flight, it took me an unusually long time to get to sleep because I found the sleeping surface really not too comfortable. The A350 seat i found more comfortable to sleep on and I can probably attribute this to it being an actual seperate mattress on the back of the eat and not the same surface covered with a thin sheet, which is what you get on the A380. The A350 bed is still ‘firm’, but nowhere as much as the A380. It’s a matter of personal preference though, if you like sleeping on a firm surface, you’ll love the A380 seat.

If I were flying on a long haul flight tomorrow in J and got a choice between these two products, I would take some time to think as they each have their ups and downs
jemabate likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I wouldn't choose the A380 new J seat. Uncomfortable in the seating position - no place to naturally rest the feet. Bed position is way too narrow. It's probably fine for a short to maybe medium haul, but frankfurt and then JFK gets tiresome.
sl00001, rt23456p and Harper50505 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Either seat could do with a decently padded mattress - or I'm just going soft these days .
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Hi all, SQ newbie.. I need some help on which plane to choose. For me its either fly home to LA on the ULR or I can go to NRT which would be the 777 for both segments. I'm not opposed to the stop over (I'm assuming you deplane and can even have time for a shower at the ANA lounge).. I've read a decent amount of negative reviews on the A350 seat, the flipping it over to a bed, that its hard & that you have to angle your feet towards the window to use the footwell.

I'd like to know if the 777 is the same? I read that SQ updated the 777 seat so does that mean it matches the A350 seat so they are the same (as far as the bed/feet positioning).

My biggest pet peeve with a seat is when you cant recline it back but instead it lowers the base of the seat (i.e the DL Suites). My issue might just be Thompson Vanguard across the board. They all just go low and there is no recline and you are so close to the IFE and there is no raised bench for your feet like any and all reverse herringbone seats have (or Polaris or Q Suites have).

I really just want to choose the right option and enjoy the SQ experience to the fullest but some of these comments on the A350 seat for SQ are quite bad (as far as the seat).

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Hi all, SQ newbie.. I need some help on which plane to choose. For me its either fly home to LA on the ULR or I can go to NRT which would be the 777 for both segments. I'm not opposed to the stop over (I'm assuming you deplane and can even have time for a shower at the ANA lounge).. I've read a decent amount of negative reviews on the A350 seat, the flipping it over to a bed, that its hard & that you have to angle your feet towards the window to use the footwell.

I'd like to know if the 777 is the same? I read that SQ updated the 777 seat so does that mean it matches the A350 seat so they are the same (as far as the bed/feet positioning).

My biggest pet peeve with a seat is when you cant recline it back but instead it lowers the base of the seat (i.e the DL Suites). My issue might just be Thompson Vanguard across the board. They all just go low and there is no recline and you are so close to the IFE and there is no raised bench for your feet like any and all reverse herringbone seats have (or Polaris or Q Suites have).

I really just want to choose the right option and enjoy the SQ experience to the fullest but some of these comments on the A350 seat for SQ are quite bad (as far as the seat).

Thanks
It's basically the same seat. There was a similar question last month. Here was my answer.

Re NRT, yes disembarkation required. It's a quick stopover...not sure what the latest is with ANA lounges but the one nearer to the SQ gate (satellite 4, I think) had been closed. If it's open now, you might be able to squeeze a shower in if you walk quickly and there's no waiting list.

Lastly, re the LAX nonstop, the ULR is currently not on this route. SQ manages it with the standard A350 longhaul variant.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by bpk6h
It's basically the same seat. There was a similar question last month. Here was my answer.

Re NRT, yes disembarkation required. It's a quick stopover...not sure what the latest is with ANA lounges but the one nearer to the SQ gate (satellite 4, I think) had been closed. If it's open now, you might be able to squeeze a shower in if you walk quickly and there's no waiting list.

Lastly, re the LAX nonstop, the ULR is currently not on this route. SQ manages it with the standard A350 longhaul variant.
So helpful, thanks...

So is the A350 standard longhaul a better seat or its the same as the 777/350 ULR ?

I think I'm hesitant of this seat you have to flip over to have flat so you cant make it half bed/half up like in that nice position to relax and watch tv?

The weird angle of the legs looks weird too. If the regular A350 long haul has diff. seats I may go with that option..

Am I making too big of a deal with the 777 seat?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
So helpful, thanks...

So is the A350 standard longhaul a better seat or its the same as the 777/350 ULR ?

I think I'm hesitant of this seat you have to flip over to have flat so you cant make it half bed/half up like in that nice position to relax and watch tv?

The weird angle of the legs looks weird too. If the regular A350 long haul has diff. seats I may go with that option..

Am I making too big of a deal with the 777 seat?
77W, A350 ULR and A350 Longhaul are all the same seat...flipover to sleep. It's only a matter of dimensions due to aircraft size. For me, the seat also reclines enough to relax comfortably. However, I'd say most people (incl me) flip the seat over and watch TV that way. You are given plenty of pillows to prop yourself up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.