Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK - FRA No award availability?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

JFK - FRA No award availability?

New to this award route - I checked Krisflyer award search and could not find one available date, either way for multiple months out...only non-saver waitlist for the most part. Is this normal? Am I approaching the search wrong?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:17 pm

what dates are you looking at? and which class / award type?
a random search on 23 Apr shows availability in both biz and econ, all in saver class.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Let's hear from OP, but these days most folks with these questions are looking to cash in credit card points for a Suites flight and are US based (limiting the options of flights if start is somewhere in the US).

That JFK-FRA-SIN route is the single most sought after route in Suites for JFK-SIN, JFK-FRA, FRA-SIN and vice versa and "everyone and their grandmother" is looking to redeem it as Saver award in Suites.

Saver availability on that route in Suites is extremely scarce even for a single seat and mostly only goes on waitlist. At times maybe Advantage could have a seat available or even that is waitlist only. Biz is a bit better, PEY and Y should have good choices.

This is what many of the US travel bloggers don't tell their readers when they promote their credit card sign ups (referrals for $$$ reasons) and lure with trip reports in SQ Suites as bait. All theoretically possible, but tough and not as cheap miles wise (saver vs advantage) as it is made look at times. Good luck. YMMV
AndDee, z4017, rt23456p and 4 others like this.

Last edited by demue; Aug 12, 2022 at 4:52 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:46 pm

Wish SQ is following AF rule, only elite member can redeem first class seat.
DiamondMile and vantage03 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:49 am

from my experience, there are ZERO saver seat availability on any Suite class route - even to India, India might have Advantage open, but that's about it.
All other suites routes - if you are lucky, PPS will see advantage waitlist available, but honestly, given the strong Premium class demand and only 6 seats on each plane, i would be nuts to give out Saver suite seats if I were in SQ revenue management.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by demue
This is what many of the US travel bloggers don't tell their readers when they promote their credit card sign ups (referrals for $$$ reasons) and lure with trip reports in SQ Suites as bait. All theoretically possible, but tough and not as cheap miles wise (saver vs advantage) as it is made look at times. Good luck. YMMV
Not only that, a lot of ppl transfer miles into Krisflyer to get the free *G status last year and now they are all trying to find a way to use those miles. Sadly unless they are flying to Asia there is only one route they can use (forget about getting other *A flights as the availability really sucks). Just imagine how many ppl trying to get a premium cabin seat for a single daily flight which only has a few seats available for redemption for each of them …….
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by demue
That JFK-FRA-SIN route is the single most sought after route in Suites for JFK-SIN, JFK-FRA, FRA-SIN and vice versa and "everyone and their grandmother" is looking to redeem it as Saver award in Suites.

Saver availability on that route in Suites is extremely scarce even for a single seat and mostly only goes on waitlist. At times maybe Advantage could have a seat available or even that is waitlist only.
I have a cash ticket on that route later this month and I was astounded as to how booked up it is. I can only see a handful dates with 2+ seats until Feb 2023. Most flights are completely sold out end of year even for 1 seat.

I think in particular the JFK-FRA-JFK section has been extremely popular for redemptions given the lower price and still decent distance. Notice that there has been a flood of YouTube videos from “vloggers” and various trip reports for that specific flight in the last few months.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Originally Posted by johnsaban321
New to this award route - I checked Krisflyer award search and could not find one available date, either way for multiple months out...only non-saver waitlist for the most part. Is this normal? Am I approaching the search wrong?
Plenty of business class availability for 1 award seat on JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK in early October at the Saver level (81,000 miles one-way).

What specifically are you looking for (# seats/class/date)?
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:46 pm

I have had two JFK FRA awards in biz class since April, another one coming up in two weeks, all booked maybe 4 weeks out. I’ve found availability on SQ significantly better than on LH or LX via ZRH. No problem getting the exact dates I wanted.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew35K
I have a cash ticket on that route later this month and I was astounded as to how booked up it is. I can only see a handful dates with 2+ seats until Feb 2023. Most flights are completely sold out end of year even for 1 seat.

I think in particular the JFK-FRA-JFK section has been extremely popular for redemptions given the lower price and still decent distance. Notice that there has been a flood of YouTube videos from “vloggers” and various trip reports for that specific flight in the last few months.
the flood gates were opened few months ago with the FRA JFK savers. So a lot of vlog on that sector.

the only way to get suites saver on SQ25 is to book other US/EU routes way in advance and hoping for Irregularities ops - aircraft swap/downgrade. That is one way how I got mine in saver for summer next year.

I’m just a lowly KF*G thanks to the free status!
I’m guessing even PPS will have difficulty securing award on suites saver nowadays.
Noting that the fares are high onwards. Making it easy to achieve PPS entry level. Means more competition etc…
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Yes I was looking for suites, shame that it got all the attention. I do see more advantage space albeit waitlist and I suppose when looking at the cash value its still a good redemption value.
bent likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Geez, I'm glad I read this thread. I was thinking of transferring points to Kris Flyer hoping that doing so would help to find availability in an F seat, but thanks to this thread I see it is hopeless these days, J notwithstanding. Bummer.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:35 am
THR

Originally Posted by olindacat
Geez, I'm glad I read this thread. I was thinking of transferring points to Kris Flyer hoping that doing so would help to find availability in an F seat, but thanks to this thread I see it is hopeless these days, J notwithstanding. Bummer.
You don't need to transfer to find availability. Find availability then transfer.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents
Any idea of it takes a day for a transfer to clear? I wonder bc it's possible the seat is gone when transfer is complete and one is capable of booking. Don't points expire in a year? I'd feel a lot better knowing there was an improved chance of getting a redemption in F, but as I have learned from this great thread everyone is looking for the same thing! And I'm no elite by any means.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:05 am
THR

Points expire after three years.
olindacat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.