Search

How can I use 43,000 KrisFlyer miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:37 pm
prh
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
How can I use 43,000 KrisFlyer miles

So we planned a river cruise in Vietnam and Cambodia that was to include a flight from Siem Reap to Changi at the end. I moved AmEx points to cover the ticket. Then the pandemic hit, then Singapore cancelled the flight, and now it seems we will not make the trip at all. I’ve been trying to figure out how to use the miles. I tried shopping, but things go on hold when i attempt to send them to Hawaii. I tried the hotel option, but those that I would consider are 2x or 3x the number of miles. Is there way I can convert the miles to one the US carriers or British Airways even if it’s a multi-step transaction where I take a severe discount on the number of miles.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:52 pm

Are you not able to use the KF miles to redeem some domestic flights with UA?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
+1
Also you can redeem on other *A and other partner arlines.
You can't transfer the miles out of KF in the way you are suggesting.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:53 pm
prh
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Every attempt to use on UA has come back with no availability, at least on dates I tried.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prh
Every attempt to use on UA has come back with no availability, at least on dates I tried.
Yes, not easy especially if you are looking for domestic F in the US. If you are willing to fly Y (or redeem for someone else?) it's easier to find award space.

I never expected the Island Hopper to appear...you'd need a few more miles for this though . I have to keep this one in mind!

​​​​​​
s777bg likes this.

Last edited by bpk6h; Jul 7, 2022 at 1:28 am
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by prh
You need to first check UA's website on Saver availability (X fare class for Economy) and then search on SQ's site exactly on the date of availability. I was able to book 2 round-trip flights to Panama from IAH with SQ miles before the devaluation.

Don't even try to book UA's first class with SQ miles - there is no availability.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Also to answer an initial query, once the miles are in KF they are captive, no "detour" to get them into another airline or even hotel program.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
The only exception is that KF miles can be transferred to Golden Circle by Shangri-la.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by invisible
You need to first check UA's website on Saver availability (X fare class for Economy) and then search on SQ's site exactly on the date of availability. I was able to book 2 round-trip flights to Panama from IAH with SQ miles before the devaluation.

Don't even try to book UA's first class with SQ miles - there is no availability.
Agree that domestic F seems impossible but there are UA TATL business class awards available on SQ.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Agree that domestic F seems impossible but there are UA TATL business class awards available on SQ.
With the recent deval 43K miles is less than half required for 1 way Star Alliance flight in J with UA.
Get one round trip flight within US and figure out what to do with the reminding several k miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.