Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mask Requirement Timeline?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Remember that mask wearing has been not only acceptable but encouraged in the Japanese culture for many years, well predating COVID.
Indeed, yet didn’t stop a damn thing, corona or otherwise.
sueco6 and davidj1 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by TravelForum
i don’t know. 30,000 deaths in a population of 100+ million doesn’t seem too bad. But many factors contributed to that, and impossible to single out the impact of just one measure .

in any event, it’s their culture I’d you don’t like it don’t go there or travel on their aircraft. Simple as that. Same with SQ and Singapore. It’s a choice that travellers can make.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:21 am

September 1, I’m flying Seattle to Singapore to Bangkok in Singapore Airlines. I’ll have at least 10 N95 masks with me for my 2 months in Chiangmai and am prepared to wear one of them when necessary. That includes wearing one for my 14 hour flight on Singapore to and from the U.S.
Rookie2014 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Now that's a huge scarecrow there!
lokijuh likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dean1953
September 1, I’m flying Seattle to Singapore to Bangkok in Singapore Airlines. I’ll have at least 10 N95 masks with me for my 2 months in Chiangmai and am prepared to wear one of them when necessary. That includes wearing one for my 14 hour flight on Singapore to and from the U.S.
Whatever floats your boat (or plane), my friend. Do as you wish so that you 'feel' comfortable.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:25 pm

Whatever floats your boat (or plane), my friend. Do as you wish so that you 'feel' comfortable.

And there are several hundreds of thousands of stories like this since the vaccine came out. This trooper had a wife and 4 kids. But I’m sure that you are smarter than he was
its been said many times but bares repeating; You may be through with Covid but Covid isn’t through with you.

Last edited by Dean1953; May 24, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old May 24, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
In premium cabins, I've heard (second hand accounts) its not really enforced whilst laying down sleeping.
Yes, this was my experience on SQ21 this week. I wore a mask as I'm one that will respect the rules the airline requires...​​but there were a few that decided to apply their own rules and cabin crew never enforced.
Singapore_Air and lokijuh like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:35 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jkirk
I find it really fascinating.
I find it illogical and frustrating.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
Yes, this was my experience on SQ21 this week. I wore a mask as I'm one that will respect the rules the airline requires...​​but there were a few that decided to apply their own rules and cabin crew never enforced.
It probably needs just one zealot to take a video or photo of the "offender" onboard, and send to Stomp or Mothership, then SQ would reel at the attention and come down on enforcing like a ton of bricks...
Old May 24, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
What a load of old tosh, really. Total and utter tosh.
You have already jumped through hoops to be on the aircraft having taken care of yourself, been tested and having taken more precautions than the general public. Those you are travelling with, the same.
Now, personally speaking I’d wear a mask (at most points) airport to airport anyway, but this mask police mentality, fervour and zealotism is crazy when in reality we are post-the-era we were in - for now at least.
Singapore Airlines will soon be getting a reputation amongst the general travelling public for old, worn 777’s (I could say piles of junk and would not be far wrong) flying premium routes with poor service and scheiße food whilst the Mask a police hammer those already hammered with substandard metal and a vastly inferior (scheiße) product flying SIngapore Air.
People are fed up with being ordered around, told by law to do this and that and having it rammed down their throat. Meantime being taken for fools and idiots. The only reason SIA get away with it is that for now at least, no one else is flying the routes. When that changes and it bites into SIA’s coffers we will see a much more conciliatory approach.

AF
mr_botak and sueco6 like this.

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; May 25, 2022 at 1:53 am
Old May 24, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Armchair Flyer
You have already jumped through hoops to be on the aircraft having taken care of yourself, been tested
Actually for many (most?) flights no one needs to be tested before boarding the aircraft. The land of the free is a notable exception these days.
tth_ben, DiamondMile and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by lokijuh; May 24, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Old May 25, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Actually for many (most?) flights no one needs to be tested before boarding the aircraft. The land of the free is a notable exception these days.
For long haul (that’s a significant part of SIA’s business, right?) that’s again a load of total tosh.
Flying EU to Asia or reverse you still need PCR or Antigen, additional insurances etc etc. For you as an experienced and elite FF maybe that’s not much of a factor thus you sail through airports hassle free. For many it’s stressful and a notable concern.
And if you want to get to Asia from certain EU countries/airports or vice versa you often don’t have that many options right now. Fact. So SIA are in a premium position with that one. And when that situation changes, so will this attitude of SIA of treating premium customers poorly (e.g T3 Silverkris lounge) charging customers a fortune (EU-Asia J 3,5k€ as a starter) and with customers simply having to be grateful to SIA for getting them from A to B.

AF

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; May 25, 2022 at 1:58 am
Old May 25, 2022, 2:14 am

For long haul (that’s a significant part of SIA’s business, right?) that’s again a load of total tosh.
Flying EU to Asia or reverse you still need PCR or Antigen,
What a load of total tosh. You earlier suggested everyone on the plane would have been tested, and that is what I was responding to. This is simply untrue, there will be a significant portion of many flights who will not have been tested.

Fully vaccinated travellers no longer need to be tested when travelling on SQ to Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, India, or beyond Asia to Australia. These countries make up a big chunk of SQ traffic. I'm not up with the latest rules for travelling to the EU , but know testing not required for the non-EU countries of UK and Switzerland (and maybe some EU countries as well, such as Netherlands), so many travelling on those flights won't have been tested either.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:58 am

What a load of total tosh. You earlier suggested everyone on the plane would have been tested, and that is what I was responding to. This is simply untrue, there will be a significant portion of many flights who will not have been tested.

Fully vaccinated travellers no longer need to be tested when travelling on SQ to Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, India, or beyond Asia to Australia. These countries make up a big chunk of SQ traffic. I'm not up with the latest rules for travelling to the EU , but know testing not required for the non-EU countries of UK and Switzerland (and maybe some EU countries as well, such as Netherlands), so many travelling on those flights won't have been tested either.
So as an example you’re flying LHR-MNL. Or in fact, anywhere to MNL. Good to go with no test? Hah. I see. So, not so tosh.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:19 am

So as an example you’re flying LHR-MNL. Or in fact, anywhere to MNL. Good to go with no test? Hah. I see. So, not so tosh.
Yet you said:
You have already jumped through hoops to be on the aircraft having taken care of yourself, been tested and having taken more precautions than the general public. Those you are travelling with, the same
Flying EU to Asia or reverse you still need PCR or Antigen,
My point stands that not everyone travelling with you is the same. Not everyone on the aircraft will have been tested. Travelling to Asia, most will have not. I don't know why you insist this is not true. It's a fact Yes some people will have been tested on the LHR-SIN sector, but not everyone on the LHR-SIN sector will be continuing on to MNL, in fact only a minority will be. If the end destination of those on the LHR-SIN sector is SIN, BKK, CGK, KUL, PNH, HKT, SYD, MEL, BNE, PEN, DPS, SUB etc, and they are vaccinated, they will not have ahd a pre-departure test. Simple as that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.