Wiki Posts
Search

Biz Class Choice: SQ A350 vs. NH 777-300

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Biz Class Choice: SQ A350 vs. NH 777-300

Hi All,

Posted this very same question yesterday in the ANA forum (sorry but can’t figure out how to link the two threads), and curious what folks here think.

I currently have two confirmed redemption bookings to return to NYC from Saigon in biz class next week:

1) ANA (via HND), 6 hours on 787, and then 12 hours on 777-300 (the “Room”)

2) SQ (via SIN), short flight to SIN and then 18.5 hours to EWR

Took the SQ flight out of EWR a few days ago. Loved everything about it, but 18-19 hours uninterrupted flying definitely takes a toll on your body, regardless of biz class seating. Food was excellent, so was service. Some folks don’t like the seat but I don’t mind it. Only negative is lack of privacy. Covid protocols were rather lax, ie no impact on catering and mask enforcement was not meaningful.

Question is if it’s worth taking ANA back. Have flown them in the past and always thought it was a solid product. Food good but not extraordinary, bev selection ok, service ok but not personable. But have never flown the 777-300 new seat with doors, so am intrigued. As av geek I’m tempted to try, and it also helps break up the flight. Apart from added privacy, what is the forum’s thought on a direct comparison to Singapore’s business class?

Worth trying or better stick to SQ? The other consideration is the A350 just seemingly being a lot better managing jet lag / dehydration of the body.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts / recommendations. Thanks in advance!
Old May 14, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by flyfox
Hi All,

Posted this very same question yesterday in the ANA forum (sorry but can’t figure out how to link the two threads), and curious what folks here think.

I currently have two confirmed redemption bookings to return to NYC from Saigon in biz class next week:

1) ANA (via HND), 6 hours on 787, and then 12 hours on 777-300 (the “Room”)

2) SQ (via SIN), short flight to SIN and then 18.5 hours to EWR

Took the SQ flight out of EWR a few days ago. Loved everything about it, but 18-19 hours uninterrupted flying definitely takes a toll on your body, regardless of biz class seating. Food was excellent, so was service. Some folks don’t like the seat but I don’t mind it. Only negative is lack of privacy. Covid protocols were rather lax, ie no impact on catering and mask enforcement was not meaningful.

Question is if it’s worth taking ANA back. Have flown them in the past and always thought it was a solid product. Food good but not extraordinary, bev selection ok, service ok but not personable. But have never flown the 777-300 new seat with doors, so am intrigued. As av geek I’m tempted to try, and it also helps break up the flight. Apart from added privacy, what is the forum’s thought on a direct comparison to Singapore’s business class?

Worth trying or better stick to SQ? The other consideration is the A350 just seemingly being a lot better managing jet lag / dehydration of the body.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts / recommendations. Thanks in advance!
Take the Room. Much better space and sleeping position, you'll get pajamas, but it's not dine-on-demand (nor is SQ) so you have to eat based on when the FAs tell you to.

Jamie
kevin111260 likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I'd go with ANA. Haven't experienced the Room but the experience looks worth a try!

As for dine on demand, I don't know if it's SQ status dependant but I'm always offered on the ULR flights to eat when I want and what I want from the menu if I haven't BTC'd.
Old May 14, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Take the Room. Much better space and sleeping position, you'll get pajamas, but it's not dine-on-demand (nor is SQ) so you have to eat based on when the FAs tell you to.

Jamie
While not dine on demand I find NH has a much better midflight snack selection (Ippudo ramen, and usually some kind of rice or curry dish) than SQ if you get hungry between the meal services as well.
kevin111260 and flyfox like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Snacks on SQ are embarrassing in Premium cabins. No other words. Such low quality offerings even when it comes to chips (Lays IIRC) and chocolates (only Kit Kat).

I'd also vote for NH 77W Room, breaks up the journey as you said and the hard product on 77W is better in my book.

Only thing to know, NH cabin temp can be on the warm (hot) side while my last SQ A359; long haul ( not ULR) was freezing. YMMV
bpk6h, kevin111260 and flyfox like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:39 pm

NH The Room, naturally.

For me, the considerations would be:
- authentic Japanese cuisine (I'm rather bored of the typical hawker food fare that SQ serves BTC, even though the onboard "healthier options" menu is slightly different for the EWR route)
- new product that's worth trying, if you're already familiar with the SQ seat
- I prefer two equi-distant journeys instead of one extremely long journey (plus you get fed more - 2 meals in each segment!)
flyfox likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Only thing to know, NH cabin temp can be on the warm (hot) side while my last SQ A359; long haul ( not ULR) was freezing. YMMV
Can always request the crew to tone down the temperature, I know JL always obliges, YMMV on NH.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
As for dine on demand, I don't know if it's SQ status dependant but I'm always offered on the ULR flights to eat when I want and what I want from the menu if I haven't BTC'd.
It's not status dependent, and they typically oblige if you tell them you don't feel hungry at meal service... from experience they're always able to heat up your meal with about 20 mins notice if you ask them to serve it at a different time post meal service.
bpk6h likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:45 pm

Snacks on SQ are embarrassing in Premium cabins. No other words. Such low quality offerings even when it comes to chips (Lays IIRC) and chocolates (only Kit Kat).
Indeed. And the healthier snacks (eg. nuts) tend to go quickly soon after they're brought out, leaving behind unappealing sugary options (eg. candy, chocs).
Old May 14, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
This is a good point ...I hadn't realized there were like minded others out there! It would seem to be a simple service delivery area that could be improved without much change in cost.
Old May 14, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can always request the crew to tone down the temperature, I know JL always obliges, YMMV on NH.
And even if that doesn't work the NH 77Ws with The Room have air vents (unlike the old 77Ws and anything SQ flies) so a hot cabin is much less of a problem as well, so another argument in favor of NH lol
Old May 14, 2022, 7:53 pm

I find the responses to OP who has cross-posted in both SQ and NH forums, particularly interesting. Responses are overwhelmingly in favour of NH's The Room - which is quite telling even for SQ loyalists of the SQ forum.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Irrespective of the nuances of the service they provide, NH and SQ are really in the same league. So for me it get's down to the fact you'll be spending an extra 2 hrs in the air on SQ. Now if the choice was SQ or AI, well definitely worth an extra 2 hrs to hours. But for NH, definitely not, and definitely go NH. I too like the novelty factor of trying new airlines as well, so I think the choice is clear.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
but it's not dine-on-demand
My experience with NH is that everything after the first meal is on demand. You can choose anything else from the menu whenever you want, even the second meal.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:58 am

Lounge experience in HND will be quite pleasant and tranquil, plenty of choices on where to sit, likely no wait for a shower, and so on.

SIN will receive no such description.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.