Search

Change of Award type

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
Change of Award type

Hi,

I've booked an Advantage Award flight on SQ that is coming up as the Saver fare was not available.

Noticing that they've released Saver fares on the same flight now - will SQ allow you to change to Saver and also refund the points difference?

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by rli987123
Hi,

I've booked an Advantage Award flight on SQ that is coming up as the Saver fare was not available.

Noticing that they've released Saver fares on the same flight now - will SQ allow you to change to Saver and also refund the points difference?

Thanks
why not? What you should have done is to book the advantage and waitlist saver if possible.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by freed0m
why not? What you should have done is to book the advantage and waitlist saver if possible.
Ahh yep, at the time it didn't allow me to waitlist Saver.

When i try to change online - it seems like they won't refund you the points difference...

Guessing I'll have to wait hours on the phone to speak with someone for this
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:52 pm

They won't refund you the miles difference, this is a well known (yes, illogical) issue. What you need to do is cancel the Advantage (and pay the cancellation fee) to have the miles refunded, then rebook the Saver afresh.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
They won't refund you the miles difference, this is a well known (yes, illogical) issue. What you need to do is cancel the Advantage (and pay the cancellation fee) to have the miles refunded, then rebook the Saver afresh.
Can this be all done online? Do the miles get refunded immidiately to reduce the risk of saver-level disappearing?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In theory, a straight cancel online did result in points back right away, but there have been reports where it didn't work out that way exactly so there is a risk. Also there are no guarantees that the saver will be there when you are done with cancelation.

​​​​​It is all possible to do what you plan, but there is an element of risk. Just be aware. Given how high saving between Saver and Advantage awards can be, I'd go for it though I may try it via call and hope for reasonable wait time and competent agent. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.