Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Transfer from Terminal ( Alaska) to Intl Terminal (SQ) at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov

DS travelling on from IAD to SIN On an SQ ticket but first IAD-LAX flight is on Alaska Air, code shared flight

Ticket shows SQ 1308 IAD to LAX arriving LAX Terminal 6 at 20:24
connecting to
VTL flight SQ37 leaving LX Terminal B at 22:25

Have not been to LAX for ages now, so can someone knowledgeable help answer following questions:

1. How far is Terminal 6 to Terminal B- looks like walkable, and no need to take a bus,
2. Where in Terminal B are SQ check in desks, especially if walking from Terminal 6.
3. Will Alaska through check the bag at IAD or will he have to pick up bags from Alaska Carousel at Terminal 6. If so, I guess he will have to walk from T6 to Terminal B with the checked bag
4. Does he have enough time - 2 hours - to do all this and check into SQ 37. I heard that given that SQ37 is a VTL flight, the processing is slow and takes a lot of time
Any pointers would be helpful. He is travelling on Christmas Eve, 24 Dec

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Terminals are walkable. Probably 5-10 minutes. Signs for check-in desks are easily visible -
If on 1 pnr bags will be checked through and even if not they should be. Don't know about how long for vtl check in.
Two hours should be plenty of time.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a 10-15 minute walk. It's easiest to exit landside at T6 and walk outside on the upper level (step out the door and turn left).
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a 10-15 minute walk. It's easiest to exit landside at T6 and walk outside on the upper level (step out the door and turn left).
Although it is possible to transit airside from T6 to TBIT if one wants to avoid the sometimes longer TSA lines at TBIT. There is an underground airside tunnel from T6 to T4 and then a final above ground connector to TBIT. I assume this is still open?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
It is.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Although it is possible to transit airside from T6 to TBIT if one wants to avoid the sometimes longer TSA lines at TBIT. There is an underground airside tunnel from T6 to T4 and then a final above ground connector to TBIT. I assume this is still open?
Will that take him to SQ checkin counter or better to walk from T6 to Int terminal. He is taking an SQ VTL flight SQ37 so there is the hassle of predaparture document checks by SQ checkin staff at LAX
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Will that take him to SQ checkin counter or better to walk from T6 to Int terminal. He is taking an SQ VTL flight SQ37 so there is the hassle of predaparture document checks by SQ checkin staff at LAX
Good point...no, airside transfer would avoid the check-in and going through the main TSA check point. I assume there are transfer desks airside to assist with the document check but if you feel more comfortable going through standard check-in then take Kacee's instructions.

​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by bpk6h; Dec 20, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Since it appears to be a through ticket, any bags should be checked through and the documents should be checked by Alaska Air at check-in.

Any further doc check can take place at the departure gate.

I would just walk the tunnel from T6 to T4 and the airside walkway from T4 to the TBIT.

But I would show up at the gate early since SQ being SQ, they will no doubt do another doc check. There are no airside transit/transfer desks.

I would not go groundside and have to deal with TSA at the TBIT.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Since it appears to be a through ticket, any bags should be checked through and the documents should be checked by Alaska Air at check-in.

Any further doc check can take place at the departure gate.

I would just walk the tunnel from T6 to T4 and the airside walkway from T4 to the TBIT.

But I would show up at the gate early since SQ being SQ, they will no doubt do another doc check. There are no airside transit/transfer desks.

I would not go groundside and have to deal with TSA at the TBIT.
As SQ 37 is a VTL flight, I don’t think Alaska at IAD would be equipped to do all the required SQ/SIN govt coronavirus entry document checks

I also worry that the SQ gate might be ill equipped / too late to do these document checks ( eg if predeparture coronavirus test or vaccination missing checkin desk will stop you right there ).

so I think easier to walk airside to SQ check in, although the only hassle would be TSA check again.

Would it be long queues at Bradley International Terminal on Christmas Eve at TSA check point? . I am hoping not or that SQ will hold flight in case pax who are checked in are held up at TSA check point
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
there is (or was) a hidden TSA check downstairs that I've used when TSA lines were long even for precheck (usually used for people coming from international needing to connect to another domestic flight I think) But it's been too long since I've been there to remember exactly - maybe someone else does.
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
As SQ 37 is a VTL flight, I don’t think Alaska at IAD would be equipped to do all the required SQ/SIN govt coronavirus entry document checks

I also worry that the SQ gate might be ill equipped / too late to do these document checks ( eg if predeparture coronavirus test or vaccination missing checkin desk will stop you right there ).

so I think easier to walk airside to SQ check in, although the only hassle would be TSA check again.

Would it be long queues at Bradley International Terminal on Christmas Eve at TSA check point? . I am hoping not or that SQ will hold flight in case pax who are checked in are held up at TSA check point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.