Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Hotel quarantine for VTL flights with confirmed Omicron case(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel quarantine for VTL flights with confirmed Omicron case(s)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Bad stories (to say the least here) are continuing on the Facebook group in relation to people who are put in NCID or are quarantined because they were near an omicron case.

If you have omicron it seems you are put in NCID. The staff are apparently very nice and have sympathy with the suffering caused by the policies. It seems 'close contacts' are being put in hotels until 10 days have elapsed since the day of the flight.

Not really how the "Vaccinated Travel Lane" was sold in my view.
Yep. There's an awfully large number of bad experiences floating around on facebook. And how many people handed a QO would turn to facebook to report? Maybe 25%? Probably less?

There's also a handful of posts where people claim that the entire plane was given a QO. I wonder if this is the protocol in case a member of the cabin crew is confirmed with Omicron?

My gripe is the lack of transparency as to what actually happens. Still unclear who pays if you're sent to a hotel as a close contact. I'd feel better if there was a footnote somewhere on the VTL website that defines what a close contact is on the flight (i.e. 3 rows) and the QO duration (10 days from arrival? Or 10 days from identified case?). It's the speculation and uncertainty that I find frustrating. From the comments on fb, it seems like a lot of policy is being made on the fly.

My hope is that things ease up a bit after the holidays... including the option of home quarantine for close contacts of a confirmed Omicron case.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:56 pm

67 imported cases were detected yesterday and chance that some of those are omicron.

so many more ppl will be issue HRW (health risk warning/quarantine order).

with so many unknown about omicron , SIN have to be careful.

and thus there is alway risk of positive case or being quarantine when you are traveling during this period.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: free agent
Sobering thread … and inject good dose of reality into me, who happens to have severe case of travel bug.

we are still far from returning to old days and last thing I want to do is subject to quarantine because I’m happen to be an innocent bystander who happens to be too close to someone + with omicron…. Probably should cancel my trip to Singapore and Thailand because it’s evident that tourists have to go through hoops.
progapanda likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
This is rather worrying and I'm now going to think seriously about whether to take my VTL trip from JFK coming up this week.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: krisflyer, delta, united
Not to mention the daily required ARTs. The more you swab the greater the chance of a false positive result, very unsettling
progapanda likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anywherebutamerica
Not to mention the daily required ARTs. The more you swab the greater the chance of a false positive result, very unsettling
That's not a concern. A positive ART would lead to a PCR to confirm.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by riotpoofcity
Yep. There's an awfully large number of bad experiences floating around on facebook. And how many people handed a QO would turn to facebook to report? Maybe 25%? Probably less?

There's also a handful of posts where people claim that the entire plane was given a QO. I wonder if this is the protocol in case a member of the cabin crew is confirmed with Omicron?

My gripe is the lack of transparency as to what actually happens. Still unclear who pays if you're sent to a hotel as a close contact. I'd feel better if there was a footnote somewhere on the VTL website that defines what a close contact is on the flight (i.e. 3 rows) and the QO duration (10 days from arrival? Or 10 days from identified case?). It's the speculation and uncertainty that I find frustrating. From the comments on fb, it seems like a lot of policy is being made on the fly.

My hope is that things ease up a bit after the holidays... including the option of home quarantine for close contacts of a confirmed Omicron case.
I'd be more interested in transparency around what could lead to a VTL route suspension or VTP cancellation. As long as I know I can get home, I'm willing to put up with the risk of quarantine. For example, rather than suspend a VTL route, would the authorities first cancel short term visitor VTPs as a first step in mitigation?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
What is concerning and frankly absurd is if you’re classed as a SA variant “close contact”, and testing negative, you’re taken to quarantine hospital by default, even if you’re healthy and not sick.

What ever happened to home quarantine for those healthy? Major overreaction and this will likely clog up hospitals further again.

When SG reverse this nonsense it will be because they are overwhelmed by the number of cases (as happened with delta) and will be forced to allow home quarantine.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
with so many unknown about omicron , SIN have to be careful.
Hi - In the context of quarantining people on VTL flights, what does this mean ?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by anywherebutamerica
Honestly the self administered ones aren't bad, and they are self-reported not requiring verification so take FWIW. The day 3 and day 7 administered ones are a bit more suspect. In that you have to go to govt mandated sites and I selected one in Chinatown close to my hotel (People's Park). It was so busy, and took so long, that Tracetogether reported 900 contacts. That makes 0 sense to me.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Honestly the self administered ones aren't bad, and they are self-reported not requiring verification so take FWIW. The day 3 and day 7 administered ones are a bit more suspect. In that you have to go to govt mandated sites and I selected one in Chinatown close to my hotel (People's Park). It was so busy, and took so long, that Tracetogether reported 900 contacts. That makes 0 sense to me.
My day 3 was at a Minmed QTC and completely short-staffed. It was a monitored self-swab but there were a few that were so unfamiliar with the process that the nurse in charge never once monitored me. The result was, however, delivered in about 30 min. My day 7 was at a Raffles Medical QTC and was administered by a nurse (not self swab!) even though the result says self-administered. In this case the results were not delivered until after 24hrs had passed...very odd.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by sam_goh
In that you have to go to govt mandated sites and I selected one in Chinatown close to my hotel (People's Park). It was so busy, and took so long, that Tracetogether reported 900 contacts. That makes 0 sense to me.
Garmen needs to provide stimulus to hotels thus doing all they can to increase number of suspected cases they can then order quarantine /s
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:55 pm

If purely for leisure holiday, I will recommend you all cancel the trip and wait.
If visiting family, still can go.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1
What is concerning and frankly absurd is if you’re classed as a SA variant “close contact”, and testing negative, you’re taken to quarantine hospital by default, even if you’re healthy and not sick.

What ever happened to home quarantine for those healthy? Major overreaction and this will likely clog up hospitals further again.

When SG reverse this nonsense it will be because they are overwhelmed by the number of cases (as happened with delta) and will be forced to allow home quarantine.
There was an article in Head for Points that says someone was sent to the NICD to quarantine but had to SHARE room with 4 others. The person refused - sensibly so - because if you’re asymptomatic why would you share room with others that could potentially develop symptoms?

Eventually this will become a pingdemic (borrowing the term from UK’s Track and Trace) and the government will just be so overwhelmed and need to back down on these knee jerk ridiculousness.
Singapore_Air and davidj1 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn
If purely for leisure holiday, I will recommend you all cancel the trip and wait.
If visiting family, still can go.
Equally as bad. If you’re Omicron affected, wouldn’t your family’s entire household (assuming you stay with them) be considered close contact hence would be whisked off to NCID too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.