Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Flying SQ in times of Covid - experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying SQ in times of Covid - experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme
actually no.

SQ 31/32 is now back on schedule (not daily).

So direct flight you have SQ33/34, 31/32. This is on top of SQ7/8.

United is also resuming ua1/2. Also 2nd flight will be added I believe in March as well.
SQ8/7 is suspended from Feb. you can’t book it at all. While SQ32/31 resume in Feb.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Originally Posted by Justin Lin
  • Business Class experience was fine but then again I was traveling with an infant and toddler so my experience is a lot different than others. However, even if I didn't have kids with me, I still would have felt the experience as being subpar. Food was nice and served in courses. We were fortunate to have the bulkhead seats which had a ton of foot space. Not sure how others could sit the entire time at an angle otherwise.
Good to know that meals were served in courses. Was the satay and cheese platter back?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:20 am

Yes, the satay and cheese platter were both back. Satay was served as the appetizer for the second meal and the cheese platter was brought through the cabin on trays along with the other desserts after the dinner set was complete.
Carfield and Smuffe like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:55 am

My recent experience with SQ suite class (LHR-SIN) was a bit disappointed.

Due to operation requirements, meals were serve in tray. Therefore they mostly used Business Class tablewares to fit a few dishes in a tray. Some small treats were missing as well, like no longer offer pralines after the meal, no warm nuts accompany the first drink after takeoff...

Cabin crews were still very attentive and friendly. All in all, feel great to be able to step in A380 again.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Justin Lin
Recently completed a US to Singapore trip and here was my experience.
  • Flew SQ33 VTL flight from SFO to Singapore in Premium Economy. Check-in counter doesn't open until 3 hours before flight so checked in at the counter at 5. Lounges were non-existent since the Polaris lounge is closed and seating is limited to none at the regular United Lounge. Fortunately have the Amex Platinum so was able to use Centurion Lounge but that lounge closed at 9PM and was in another terminal.
  • Premium Economy was nothing to write home about. Everyone raves about SQ Airlines and the A350-900 but I really didn't like how the seat armrest is stationary. I was traveling with my toddler aged son so it would have been nice to be able to lift the armrest. Also food was mediocre at best.
How comfortable was the Premium Economy seat itself? How much recline?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:49 pm

delete - duplicate
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire

SQ Suites has no more restrictions in terms of service offering.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I'm going to do the same at the end of the month, taking the non stop JFK VTL flight and flying back through Haneda on JL F. I'm happy to hear JL is still top notch, but I hope to not be disappointed by SQ still. Will report.
I'm writing this from JL F flight to the US. Here are my observations:
  • SQ 23 JFK-SIN VTL flight in J: service was attentive and good for business class. What is disappointing is the very short list of food choices, including BTC. I understand that out of SIN, the full list is available, but out of JFK, it's as if the choices were like the old days of "chicken or pasta" on a US airline in Y. Service from the crew was attentive and I have nothing but praises for them.
  • JL SIN-HND in J HND-ORD in F: as had been reported ahead, it is as of there was no pandemic as far as the inflight offering in service is. Food menu fully available, great service as usual. Salon Champagne is still on the list in F and everything is served as it used to be.
in summary, SQ food at US outstations is not up to par, but the in flight service was for me. JL, no complaint.

​​​​​I was aware of all that was awaiting me in terms of documents to show and the testing. I didn't waste any time getting off the flight in SIN in order to not be behind a line and all went smoothly. Overall a good experience on SQ.

PS: I flew QR at the end of November in J both from and to the US and they had, in both directions a full menu and service that well surpasses SQ's. I'm not surprised they often get rated as better than SQ nowadays...
Carfield and m.y like this.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Feb 6, 2022 at 5:04 am Reason: correct misspelled word
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:18 am

Thumbs up

Here are my observations
Greetings DeltaFlyingProf. Good to see you still flying !
DeltaFlyingProf likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:05 pm

​​​​​I was aware of all that was awaiting me in terms of documents to show and the testing. I didn't waste any time getting off the flight in SIN in order to not be behind a line and all went smoothly. Overall a good experience on SQ.
Can you describe the sequence of events after you got off the plane? Did you clear immigration and retrieve your bags and then exit to queue up for covid testing, or does the testing come first? When did they check your proof of insurance? (I assume vaccination status had already been checked when you first checked in prior to the flight and so was not rechecked when you landed at SIN?) Afterwards, were you free to get to your hotel normally, i.e. by taxi, car, bus or MRT?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Online check-in

I’m curious what experiences people have had with online checkin availability for various itineraries. I noticed that my itinerary has an “auto check-in” option - are people really able to get boarding passes online these days? I’m flying CMB-SIN-SFO and assuming I would not be able to receive my boarding pass without seeing an agent and showing COVID test results etc.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Can you describe the sequence of events after you got off the plane? Did you clear immigration and retrieve your bags and then exit to queue up for covid testing, or does the testing come first? When did they check your proof of insurance? (I assume vaccination status had already been checked when you first checked in prior to the flight and so was not rechecked when you landed at SIN?) Afterwards, were you free to get to your hotel normally, i.e. by taxi, car, bus or MRT?
Clear immigration > collect luggage > arrival PCR test > straight to transport pickup area (own or car hire only, no bus or MRT allowed).

Checking of insurance proof is a bit random, if done, this is checked at immigration.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by worldcurious
I’m curious what experiences people have had with online checkin availability for various itineraries. I noticed that my itinerary has an “auto check-in” option - are people really able to get boarding passes online these days? I’m flying CMB-SIN-SFO and assuming I would not be able to receive my boarding pass without seeing an agent and showing COVID test results etc.
I think if you try all the way to the end of the check-in journey, they'd still say boarding pass can't be issued and to present yourself at the check-in counter...
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn
My recent experience with SQ suite class (LHR-SIN) was a bit disappointed. Due to operation requirements, meals were serve in tray. Therefore they mostly used Business Class tablewares to fit a few dishes in a tray. Some small treats were missing as well, like no longer offer pralines after the meal, no warm nuts accompany the first drink after takeoff...
Originally Posted by SMK77
SQ Suites has no more restrictions in terms of service offering.
When did you fly your respective flights?

While CAAS had originally instituted this rule of "single tray servings" as part of their kneejerk reaction towards Omicron, there's not a pipsqueak in local press that airlines may resume normal plate-by-plate meal service. Hence wondering when airlines were allowed to resume this.

Has plate-by-plate meal service resumed for J as well, or is this applicable only to F and Suites?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
When did you fly your respective flights?

While CAAS had originally instituted this rule of "single tray servings" as part of their kneejerk reaction towards Omicron, there's not a pipsqueak in local press that airlines may resume normal plate-by-plate meal service. Hence wondering when airlines were allowed to resume this.

Has plate-by-plate meal service resumed for J as well, or is this applicable only to F and Suites?
Ex-LHR, it's still a single tray for J from what I saw earlier this week. For goodness sake the poor crew are even wearing those silly gowns for fear of Omicron even though the per capita case rate is probably higher in Singapore than the UK now. They have such a wet, gutless, idiotic dumbfu*k regulator.
davidj1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.