Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to restart flights to Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Singapore to restart flights to Maldives

The Straits Times reported that Singapore Airlines, well more specifically SilkAir, will be restarting flights from Singapore to Maldives by the end of the year.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ty-by-year-end
There are some out there who think that Singapore will open a leisure bubble with Maldives, which would involve having resorts solely for the use of Singaporeans so as to keep them isolated from every other visitor.
Should be interesting!!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, LATAM*Black
I just hope it's not a move to cater Chinese/Australian/other APAC travelers to Malvides because they see demand coming from there. And we're all disappointed, still on the little red dot.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by poromenos
I just hope it's not a move to cater Chinese/Australian/other APAC travelers to Malvides because they see demand coming from there. And we're all disappointed, still on the little red dot.
It won't be catering to Australian travellers, most of whom aren't allowed to depart Australia. And in all likelihood that is not going to change any time soon.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by poromenos
It's curious - I don't see any obvious transit traffic to attract - it's a long way around to Europe and most of the APAC/Aus/NZ routes aren't allowing outbound travel. So it is possible this is for a trial of a "leisure lane" and Maldives would definitely be the place to do it if indeed an entire resort would be willing to dedicate themselves to the Singapore market.

What would really suit me is if Maldives got added to the no-quarantine list so I could do two weeks there in January instead of entombed in a hotel !
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by lokijuh
It won't be catering to Australian travellers, most of whom aren't allowed to depart Australia. And in all likelihood that is not going to change any time soon.
If we are lucky, Australia will lift travel ban by next summer
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Wfh could become wfm, where do I sign?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
So that would be December 2021 ?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fly747first
Has Australia returned to become a penal colony again?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by a5un
Has Australia returned to become a penal colony again?
No it hasn't returned to become a penal colony again. But it has returned to become separate penal colonies again
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it hasn't returned to become a penal colony again. But it has returned to become separate penal colonies again
Some AU states were not penal colonies in the 1780's.
But cannot say that now.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:08 am

Any more news on this front? Silkair have a few flights scheduled in December but no sterile bubble has been announced. Would this be mostly for transit flyers or locals in SG/MV?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1
Any more news on this front? Silkair have a few flights scheduled in December but no sterile bubble has been announced. Would this be mostly for transit flyers or locals in SG/MV?
Nothing new yet, but I wouldn't expect them to make a call on this until nearer the time. What if they open up the the travel bubble, people book, and then they have to shut it down again?

At the same time, if they are planning to open individual resorts to only Singapore residents, then they would need to negotiate a variety of things such as exactly how to get people from the airports to the resorts and what to do if not a lot of Singaporeans choose to travel there. Also, what price ranges are Singaporeans going to sit in, i.e. which hotels are they going to choose to do the deals with.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:48 pm

I note they have made Male a transit approved destination from 1 Dec 2020. I can't see them mixing transit and local pax so it could mean the SG only bubble is off the table.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...orTransit3.pdf
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
At least they are taking the virus seriously even if it prevents us from flying to Australia; SQ isn't even selling F/R now
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:39 pm

Unfortunately I'd booked MLE to SIN for 2021 before all the complete changes happened (this was May or so of 2020) and then KE flights SIN to ICN to ORD. Now looks like that can't happen as KE isn't on the transit list. Given that the transit restrictions are quite strict (IMO), even if I could get awards from MLE to SIN to ICN, not sure I want to get stuck in the transit holding pen for 6 hours (not to mention all the KE miles I'll lose). Oh well. Wasn't meant to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.