Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Mileage Redemption Issue - Adding Segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam

Hello,

I previously made a mileage redemption booking for 2 people as follows:
Segment 1: Ho Chi Minh - Singapore (Business Class Saver)
Segment 2: Singapore - Frankfurt (First Class Saver)

Given this is a mixed cabin booking, I was charged 125,000 KrisFlyer miles per person. Zone 3 -> Zone 11 pricing at the First Class level. This is correct.

I now want to add a 3rd segment to this booking as I now see that 2 Saver seats have opened in Business Class for Frankfurt - JFK (New York).
Segment 3: Frankfurt - JFK (Business Class Saver)
I see this Business Saver availability when I search on KrisFlyer just for that individual segment. This would now be a Zone 3 -> Zone 13 booking and should price at 132,000 KrisFlyer miles per person (mixed cabin booking pricing at the First Class level). Basically an incremental 7,000 KrisFlyer miles per person.

I just called and the representative said that no Business Saver Space is available for this 3rd segment. I told him I see the space clearly available when I search online. He then said that space is not available all the way from Ho Chi Minh to JFK. I then said, I already have the first 2 segments booked and ticketed. I only need the 3rd segment. He said it is different inventory and he needs to search from point of origin to destination. He then agreed and said 2 Business Saver seats are indeed available just on the individual segment from Frankfurt - JFK, but if I want those seats, he said I would have to book that segment separately (for many more miles). For the entire ticket all the way through from Ho Chi Minh to JFK, there is no space available. I am confused???

If 2 Business Saver seats are available on the individual segment from Frankfurt to JFK, why can't they just add that segment to my existing reservation and charge the difference in miles (7,000 additional miles = 132,000 miles per person instead of 125,000 miles: so an incremental 7,000 miles per person)? Is there really different inventory and I would need to book this 3rd segment separately?

Thank you.

Last edited by ray1022; Feb 20, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Short answer is yes.
See redemption waitlist thread for detailed explanation​​​​​​.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:58 pm

Married segment issue again. Very common.
NetJets Germany and oh_lol like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: Alaska
probably you can add FRA-JFK by adding a stopover at FRA, paying US$100 + 7k miles, than a through SGN-JFK.

I never did this, but I believe stopover uses individual segements instead.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
As others have explained above, this is all about "Married segments" - different award availablity depending on the entire route flown. AFAIK, SQ assigns a specific award availablity to each and every single possible route that's possible on their network.

When you made the booking, SGN-SIN-FRA had availability, so the booking proceeded.
When you try and add a FRA-JFK. segment, the system goes and checks availability for SGN-SIN-FRA-JFK. If that has no availability, then you can't add on the final segment, as the entire itinerary needs to have availability, not just that one segment (which has its own availability as explained before).
​​​​ Tricky stuff, but good to get your head around it for the future.

By the way OP, is your SIN-FRA segment on SQ326 or on SQ26 (which continues on to JFK)?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:11 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Thank you all for the help and advice. Clarifies the issue and I see there was another post recently regarding the same problem (see: Call center can't see same award availability as website )

MathNerd my SIN-FRA segment is on SQ #326 (not on the A380 flight that continues on to JFK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.