Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Messed up points transfer! Help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Messed up points transfer! Help!

I royally scewed up transferring some AMEX MR points to Krisflyer. I had a Krisflyer account linked that was my husband's name but my KF number. Arghhh Don't ask me how. Transfer was supposed to go to husband and seeing miles in my account made me check on what happened. I called Amex--they made a case but no response yet. I called KF to explain and the agent seemed to think it would be easy to get the miles properly deposited into my husband's account and made the request. Today I still see the miles in my account and I just got an e-mail from KF saying my account is under audit because the name and account number did not match on the points transfer.. I am on the phone with them right now and they are saying I will be unable to use any miles in my account at all until I send an Amex statement with name and address showing the points transfer. Herein is the massive problem. The statement showing the miles transfer will not cut for a month. I need book flights in the coming weeks. What do I do? I cannot see any way on Amex for a screengrab that shows the account number, address and points transfer. Any ideas or is it hopeless?

Last edited by Montacute; Feb 19, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Sorry to hear about your situation. I personally do not say a quick way out for you, and in fact, you should probably count yourself lucky that SQ are willing to help "rematriate" the points, so to speak. But it will likely take more time than you would like.

Perhaps stating the obvious here, but: Could you not make a redemption booking through your husband's account, by setting yourself up in his account as a redemption nominee?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:05 pm

Why would SQ need a statement from AMEX to proof that it was a credit card points transfer? Doesn’t / wouldn’t the KF entry itself say AMEX?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Sorry to hear about your situation. I personally do not say a quick way out for you, and in fact, you should probably count yourself lucky that SQ are willing to help "rematriate" the points, so to speak. But it will likely take more time than you would like.

Perhaps stating the obvious here, but: Could you not make a redemption booking through your husband's account, by setting yourself up in his account as a redemption nominee?
Thanks for the sympathy. How I am kicking myself for not double checking the KF number!! I had transferred exactly enough points to my KF account and then exactly enough to my husband's account for our tickets. (Each KF account already had existing points) So, I have enough miles in my account to buy my ticket but not enough for two, and my husband does not even have enough miles for his one ticket. Oh, and I can't actually use any of my points right now because of the fraud alert.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why would SQ need a statement from AMEX to proof that it was a credit card points transfer? Doesn’t / wouldn’t the KF entry itself say AMEX?
They know it was an Amex credit card transfer--they want to see a name on the credit card that matched the KF account. I guess the worry is miles are being transferred in from an Amex holder that is not the KF account holder. The latest is Amex is saying they "cannot" provide me with any documentation about the points transfer until the points transfer is complete. But the points transfer will never fully complete because of the fraud alert. A catch-22.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Montacute
They know it was an Amex credit card transfer--they want to see a name on the credit card that matched the KF account. I guess the worry is miles are being transferred in from an Amex holder that is not the KF account holder. The latest is Amex is saying they "cannot" provide me with any documentation about the points transfer until the points transfer is complete. But the points transfer will never fully complete because of the fraud alert. A catch-22.
But effectively you have already told them that the points have gone from your Amex to your husband's KF. Obviously the names are different. Or are you saying that KF will allow the credit if you can prove that you share the same surname?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

But effectively you have already told them that the points have gone from your Amex to your husband's KF. Obviously the names are different. Or are you saying that KF will allow the credit if you can prove that you share the same surname?
No, the points went from my Husband's Amex to my KF (my number and his name). Yes, the names are different and we do not share a surname. I don't know what KF is going to do, but what would be ideal would be to just move the miles to his KF account.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: Alaska
Why not ask Krisflyer to merge the two accounts since they have the same name?

i don’t think your number means anything. No airline can credit flight to your number because of wrong name.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
Why not ask Krisflyer to merge the two accounts since they have the same name?

i don’t think your number means anything. No airline can credit flight to your number because of wrong name.
The two KF accounts do not have the same name. One KF account is mine, one KF is my husband's. Amex transfer showed my KF account # under husband's name--big mistake and cause of current headache. KF put my account under a fraud alert because of incoming points transfer into my account but with my husband's name. No flight credit is involved.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

No, points went from my husband's Amex account to MY KF account when they should have gone to HIS KF account. I think they will either send points back to Amex or transfer from my KF account to husband's. Either is a good result. I believe they want to see name on Amex matches name on KF account. I sent them screenshot of points transfer and copies of our passports. This is what they asked for. Amex claims to have called them also to explain situation. Who knows,
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:54 pm

The two KF accounts do not have the same name. One KF account is mine, one KF is my husband's. Amex transfer showed my KF account # under husband's name--big mistake and cause of current headache. KF put my account under a fraud alert because of incoming points transfer into my account but with my husband's name. No flight credit is involved.

Krisflyer does not allow transfer to account with different name. If AMEX is yours, AMEX messed up. If AMEX is your husband’s, Krisflyer does not allow transfer to your account.

If AMEX is your husband’s, I wonder how AMEX knows your account and transfer to it. Something is wrong or was wrong before.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:04 pm

Krisflyer does not allow transfer to account with different name. If AMEX is yours, AMEX messed up. If AMEX is your husband’s, Krisflyer does not allow transfer to your account..
Amex does allow transfer to supplementary member accounts so provided OP is a supplementary on husband's Amex account and initiates the transfer to OP's KrisFlyer account number with matching account name, then Amex and KrisFlyer will allow the transfer. There is no issue from the KrisFlyer end because all that KrisFlyer sees is the information that Amex transmits, which will be the OP's KF account number and name. The eligibility for supplementary transfer will be 'checked' at the Amex end.

In this case I would just phone KF and ask them to remit the miles back to Amex rather than mess round with an audit.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Amex does allow transfer to supplementary member accounts so provided OP is a supplementary on husband's Amex account and initiates the transfer to OP's KrisFlyer account number with matching account name, then Amex and KrisFlyer will allow the transfer. There is no issue from the KrisFlyer end because all that KrisFlyer sees is the information that Amex transmits, which will be the OP's KF account number and name. The eligibility for supplementary transfer will be 'checked' at the Amex end.

In this case I would just phone KF and ask them to remit the miles back to Amex rather than mess round with an audit.
Yes, H is primary Amex card holder and I am AU. I really have no idea how my KF number and his name were merged on the KF linked account. I feel like I have transferred to it before but who knows, maybe I messed up. Anyway, I have called SQ 3x and counting. All I get is they are "looking into it". I have asked for them to just send miles back to Amex if they cannot transfer to H. The are"looking into it." Very frustrating.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:23 pm

Yes, H is primary Amex card holder and I am AU. I really have no idea how my KF number and his name were merged on the KF linked account. I feel like I have transferred to it before but who knows, maybe I messed up. Anyway, I have called SQ 3x and counting. All I get is they are "looking into it". I have asked for them to just send miles back to Amex if they cannot transfer to H. The are"looking into it." Very frustrating.
Krisflyer has very strict policy regarding transferring points to miles. Correct me if I am not wrong, Krisflyer does not allow transfer miles to anyone else other than the main card holder. This applies to all cards transferring points to Krisflyer miles in Singapore. Maybe AMEX allows it, but not Krisflyer.

you should ask AMEX to reverse the transaction. Very likely the points can’t be transferred to your account if you are not the main card holder.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Krisflyer has very strict policy regarding transferring points to miles. Correct me if I am not wrong, Krisflyer does not allow transfer miles to anyone else other than the main card holder. This applies to all cards transferring points to Krisflyer miles in Singapore. Maybe AMEX allows it, but not Krisflyer.

you should ask AMEX to reverse the transaction. Very likely the points can’t be transferred to your account if you are not the main card holder.
I have my own Amex card with a unique number as an AU on H's account, so I couldprove that the transfer was supposed to be for more me, but we really need the points to go to him as intended. I have called Amex also 3x and they have opened 2 separate cases. They tell me they cannot reverse it once transferred and that working with SQ is extremely difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.