Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by onemoretrip
Can anyone give me some guidance on this situation please:

Original plan with separate tickets:
VA NTL-BNE arriving 12:05
14:45 SQ236 BNE-SIN-...-Europe

SQ switched me onto the SQ256 which leaves at 09:10 (5.5 hours earlier) with 5 days' notice. I can change the VA flight to the previous day, but the change fee is 300SGD and I'd need to book a hotel room at BNE for a night. Will SQ cover these costs do you think? I've submitted an enquiry to my TA, but the response time is 2 days and I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.
How many people on the itinerary?

Option 1: see if they can re-accommodate you out of Sydney? Then take the train from Newcastle to SYD. Planes aren't that full at the moment.

Option 2: If cheaper, throw away your Virgin ticket and buy a new ticket on Jetstar day before or 6 am departure (arrive 6:10... which looking at the last couple of weeks has good reliability, but is a huge risk transferring to a much higher value ticket).

Unfortunately what you do before you get to the airport at BNE is not SQ's concern, as you are on separate tickets, so they won't provide accommodation for you, even though they cancelled your flight.

I am not sure if calling SQ will help either, as TA is supposed to deal with these sorts of things, but it can't hurt to try.
onemoretrip likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:59 am

SQ/MI have announced more cancellations today.

Previously i saw 10 pages in the PDF. Now have 28 pages.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...tcanxtable.pdf
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I just got notification of a flight cancellation that is _not_ on the list posted in #47 . They have rebooked me onto an unsuitable route. I was SIN-HIJ and now rebooked onto SIN-FUK. My eventual destination is NGO so this is taking me considerably farther away from where I need to go. I'm a no-status flyer with SQ - any guidance on how flexible they are likely to be on rerouting me better or refunding me? Any tips on times/days-of-week to call?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Thanks for posting .. my goodness ..
Was already upset with borders being closed effectively with 14 days quarantine - rather panicky responses for some countries ! Necessary to impose for some but others ?? .. there goes trips for at least half the year !!
Looks like a few of our flights are affected so far including EU Now to plough through rest of it . Went personally to PPS SIA at ION this afternoon but no mention then !!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:46 pm

Does anyone know if SQ1/SQ2 is affected in April? The PDF shows that these flights are affected until 3/29 but when I tried to book a RT from SFO->HKG in April; all the searches come back as no flights available. Interesting, if I search for SFO->SIN, SQ1 shows up with 1 stopover in HKG for the same dates in April.

Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by llngoc
Does anyone know if SQ1/SQ2 is affected in April? The PDF shows that these flights are affected until 3/29 but when I tried to book a RT from SFO->HKG in April; all the searches come back as no flights available. Interesting, if I search for SFO->SIN, SQ1 shows up with 1 stopover in HKG for the same dates in April.
The flights are still in the system, but the fare buckets have all been zeroed out.

I'm traveling on SQ1/SQ2 in early April and my booking still shows the stops in HKG.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
The flights are still in the system, but the fare buckets have all been zeroed out.

I'm traveling on SQ1/SQ2 in early April and my booking still shows the stops in HKG.
so guess they are going to fly SQ1/2 non stop to/from SFO n skip HKG.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:38 pm

I have 3 RT Award tickets confirmed for SFO->HKG on SQ1/2 for early April. I would like to see when will SQ can confirm the flights' cancellation.

Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:00 am

The oddity is that it shows a stop in HKG for these flights on SQ site when you try to book.

Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
or cancel SQ1/SQ2 outright and move the pax to one of the 2 daily non-stops to SIN. There seem to be a lot of blocked seats on those non-stops (at least on the days I'm flying). I don't fly SQ enough to know if that's normal.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
or cancel SQ1/SQ2 outright and move the pax to one of the 2 daily non-stops to SIN. There seem to be a lot of blocked seats on those non-stops (at least on the days I'm flying). I don't fly SQ enough to know if that's normal.
they are cancelling a lot of the non-daily non stop (SQ33/34) on wed. (Replace by SQ2/1 with the ULR plane, that show the demand). Yesterday SQ2 is perform by the ULR plane (so Y seats pax got upgraded to PE or maybe rebooked to SQ32.

N foresee more cancellations for SQ2/1 in April.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
At the other end of the route length spectrum, my MI flight from HKT was cancelled and we were rebooked on a new SQ replacement flight. Aircraft goes from a 319 to a 777.

I surmise that SQ has a few wide bodies that have no longhaul flying assigned and are deploying them on short regional turns at least once a day as an alternative to parking them.

So these schedule cutbacks actually worked in my favour: bigger plane, *A gold status and miles credited to United, none of which would have happened on MI.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
SQ just rebooked us to 23 April SQ 451 MLE-SIN -- was originally booked for 22 April.

Our problem: we will be on a points stay at the Waldorf Astoria ending on the 22nd, and paying out of pocket for another night (currently USD $2,400 ex taxes/fees) is obviously not an option. SQ now have us stranded in one of the most expensive places on earth without accommodation on the last night.

What are our options? The way I see it:

- Rebooked on another airline on the 22nd?
* will be a downgrade in terms of the itinerary as no other airline (except Silk Air) flies direct to SIN from MLE
* will be a downgrade in terms of the experience (we're in J on the B787-10), unless maybe they rebook us on QR with QSuites which would add a lot of time to the itinerary anyway

- Rebooked onto one of Silk Air's flights on the 22nd?
* obviously huge downgrade in terms of experience.
* Flight also departs in the morning (vs just before midnight) which means we lose a full day at the Waldorf Astoria.

- SQ to organize accommodation for the last night? What is reasonable to ask for?
* Not really keen to be holed up in some average 3-star property in Male for 24 hours.
* Leaving one day later than our original flight also means we miss a full day of work -- would any SQ cover the loss of income?

I'm leaning towards the last option being the one I would prefer, but I obviously don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a hotel in a place like the Maldives which is incredibly expensive.

EDIT: By the way, what happens if I click "Decline" on the rebooking blurb on the SQ website when I try to access my booking?
EDIT2: I've paid flights and accommodation with different credit cards so I don't think the bundled travel insurance (wouldn't be very comprehensive anyway being HK issued cards) would be eligible.
Received a response from SQ -- our options are:

- Change to the Silk Air flight on our original date (22 April) at no cost
- Change to the SQ flight on the following day -- the flight we have currently been rescheduled onto
- Cancel the entire itinerary (including the outbound to the Maldives -- a revenue ticket) at no cancellation fee

Next, I am reaching out to the WA to see if we can move the entire stay one day forward, and hope SQ can accommodate by moving our outbound one day forward as well at no cost (given they have offered to cancel at no cost).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Received a response from SQ -- our options are:

- Change to the Silk Air flight on our original date (22 April) at no cost
- Change to the SQ flight on the following day -- the flight we have currently been rescheduled onto
- Cancel the entire itinerary (including the outbound to the Maldives -- a revenue ticket) at no cancellation fee

Next, I am reaching out to the WA to see if we can move the entire stay one day forward, and hope SQ can accommodate by moving our outbound one day forward as well at no cost (given they have offered to cancel at no cost).
SQ should be able to accommodate, rather losing the revenue entirely.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:09 pm

SQ have cancelled all Milan flights.
Flight to BCN with stopover at Milan have been converted to fly direct.

Think very soon they will cancel those Germany /France/ Spain flight as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.