Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Visitors with recent travel to China not allowed entry or transit to Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

As per the Straits Times (Jan. 31, 2020):

All travellers arriving from mainland China who had been there in the past 14 days, as well as anyone with a China passport, will be barred from entry or transit in Singapore, as the nation ramps up measures to keep the Wuhan virus at bay.

The new measures will kick in at 11.59pm on Saturday (Feb 1).

As someone who recently flew, with several Chinese-passport friends, two of whom which are minors, from Hong Kong to Dubai via Singapore, and are due to fly back next week, I called SQ to ask how our return travel would be impacted. As expected, she confirmed that the travellers with Chinese passports would not be allowed to transit through Singapore.

The agent said that she could either refund our unused return leg, or reroute us but we would have to pay the fare difference if any. Then upon checking, she said that she could not find any flights and the only options were to refund or cancel and save for a future booking. Both of which were unacceptable to me - I said that is equivalent to leaving us (with two minors) stranded in Dubai. I requested her to book us on an Emirates direct flight (which has availability) on the same day.

She said she would try to and call me back later. Any advice in the meantime please?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Finalcall
As per the Straits Times (Jan. 31, 2020):

All travellers arriving from mainland China who had been there in the past 14 days, as well as anyone with a China passport, will be barred from entry or transit in Singapore, as the nation ramps up measures to keep the Wuhan virus at bay.

The new measures will kick in at 11.59pm on Saturday (Feb 1).

As someone who recently flew, with several Chinese-passport friends, two of whom which are minors, from Hong Kong to Dubai via Singapore, and are due to fly back next week, I called SQ to ask how our return travel would be impacted. As expected, she confirmed that the travellers with Chinese passports would not be allowed to transit through Singapore.

The agent said that she could either refund our unused return leg, or reroute us but we would have to pay the fare difference if any. Then upon checking, she said that she could not find any flights and the only options were to refund or cancel and save for a future booking. Both of which were unacceptable to me - I said that is equivalent to leaving us (with two minors) stranded in Dubai. I requested her to book us on an Emirates direct flight (which has availability) on the same day.

She said she would try to and call me back later. Any advice in the meantime please?
It's definitely an interesting scenario as SQ isn't technically denying you travel - it's the Government of Singapore which has placed these restrictions. Therefore - not sure how liable SQ really is other than to offer a refund. As you wait to hear back - perhaps you should check how much it would cost to purchase one-way fares from DXB-HKG.... Fare's look relatively affordable. If your refund would cover the new tickets, perhaps that's your path of least resistance. Of course - this is not knowing how much you paid for your original tickets.

Thai offers a flight via BKK - since both are *A carriers, don't see why it would be too difficult for them to re-book you. Send them an email [email protected] and request to be re-booked on TG.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:52 pm

However, Chinese passport holders who can show that they had not been to China recently, may be allowed entry, on a case-by-case basis.

Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officers will also check the travel history of travellers to ensure that they have not been in China in 14 days. If so, they will be prevented from entering Singapore

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-or-transit-to
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks bsb7140 and Troopers for the advice. The agent called back and said she discussed our situation directly with the "head office". Interestingly, the head office says that our travel wouldn't be impacted, even with Chinese passports, due to the flight originating from Dubai and not from China. I expressed concern that the mandate appeared to be a blanket ban on all Chinese passport holders, but she assured me that it'll be ok. My friends live inside China.

I'm not 100% convinced... But it's true that one-way fares from DXB to HKG are relatively cheap right now - besides TG, there's also PR. If my Chinese friends are denied boarding, we can consider rebooking on one of those as an option. If the situation doesn't deteriorate further...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
How do they practically implement this? If it applies to transit passengers they don't usually get an identity check in Singapore until they are at the exit gate - and that's just for security purposes. So it would need to be the responsibility of every airline checking in passengers to deny boarding at the first port.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by sydunipete
How do they practically implement this? If it applies to transit passengers they don't usually get an identity check in Singapore until they are at the exit gate - and that's just for security purposes. So it would need to be the responsibility of every airline checking in passengers to deny boarding at the first port.
There's already a mechanism to check visas at check-in and prior to boarding, this should work the same way.

Airlines have to pay fines and return transportation if they don't do visa checks properly so they're motivated to get it right.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:00 pm

I think TS won’t be affected.

read from ICA press release is more clear.

All visitors with travel history to China within the last 14 days won’t be allow to enter or transit. (So TS n his group not in China right ?)

all visa for PRC holders will be suspended n visa free transit facility (this is for 96hrs visa free transit entry to Singapore) are also suspended. (But Straitstime just mention transit passage for PRC holder is suspended. I think this is misleading).

https://www.ica.gov.sg/news-and-publ...ntrol-measures

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...d-in-singapore

Last edited by sbs2716g; Jan 31, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

All visitors with travel history to China within the last 14 days won’t be allow to enter or transit. (So TS n his group not in China right ?)

all visa for PRC holders will be suspended n visa free transit facility (this is for 96hrs visa free transit entry to Singapore) are also suspended. (But Straitstime just mention transit passage for PRC holder is suspended. I think this is misleading).

After re-reading - I would agree. They should be fine to return to HKG.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

Thanks sbs2716g for the links.

From Ministry of Health website:

5. From 1 February 2020, 2359h, all new visitors with recent travel history to mainland China within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into Singapore, or to transit through Singapore. <- By "transit through", do they mean one that involves a short entry into Singapore proper, eg. from the airport to Singapore to Malaysia? So a passenger just connecting in SIN and who stays airside wouldn't fall under this rule?

6. In the same context, with immediate effect, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will suspend the issuance of all forms of new visas to those with PRC passports. We will also suspend Singapore’s status as a visa-free transit facility for those with PRC passports. <- this section is clearer. It means the 96-hour VFTF policy for those who hold visas from certain developed countries.

So hopefully, the regular kind of transit where one stays airside wouldn't be affected.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:43 pm

Thanks sbs2716g for the links.

From Ministry of Health website:

5. From 1 February 2020, 2359h, all new visitors with recent travel history to mainland China within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into Singapore, or to transit through Singapore. <- By "transit through", do they mean one that involves a short entry into Singapore proper, eg. from the airport to Singapore to Malaysia? So a passenger just connecting in SIN and who stays airside wouldn't fall under this rule?

6. In the same context, with immediate effect, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will suspend the issuance of all forms of new visas to those with PRC passports. We will also suspend Singapore’s status as a visa-free transit facility for those with PRC passports. <- this section is clearer. It means the 96-hour VFTF policy for those who hold visas from certain developed countries.

So hopefully, the regular kind of transit where one stays airside wouldn't be affected.
the first part refer to any paxes who have been in China in the past 14 days (no matter what passport they hold). Any transit is NOT allowed.
as long as you have been in China for the past 14 days, you will be denied boarding. Transit is mean connecting.

You have mention that your groups are in dubai for the past week or so?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

We arrived in Dubai on Jan 27 and Jan 28 respectively. Our return flight is on Feb 7. The Chinese passengers came over from China prior to boarding their flight from HKG. SQ knows our arrival dates but still advised me that we'd be allowed to board our return flight - perhaps they didn't know that. Anyone have any other thoughts please?

Last edited by Finalcall; Feb 1, 2020 at 12:15 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Australia has just done the same thing as Singapore.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
We arrived in Dubai on Jan 27 and Jan 28 respectively. Our return flight is on Feb 7. The Chinese passengers came over from China prior to boarding their flight from HKG. SQ knows our arrival dates but still advised me that we'd be allowed to board our return flight - perhaps they didn't know that. Anyone have any other thoughts please?
Singapore has a Visa Free Transit Facility (VFTF) for some passport holders, including PRC passport holder. I believe the press releases may be indicating that those who intend to enter Singapore, as a tourist/business/student etc or as part of a VFTF transit, would now be denied entry into Singapore.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by bsb7140
After re-reading - I would agree. They should be fine to return to HKG.
they are from China and have been in China in the previous 14-day period.

they may have problem transiting SIN to HKG.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Is Singapore Airlines “reducing” or “cancelling” its China flights ?

It is unfortunate that Singapore cannot deliver clear messages here on a very sensitive issue that is leading to the discussion we are having here. I only have seen reports of Singapore reducing its flight schedule to China, not cancelling it like many European carriers. If that is still the case, then obviously the ban on China travellers is not as reported. It is disappointing if this is being mishandled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.