Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit via HKG but separate SQ tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Transit via HKG but separate SQ tickets

Hello: I planned to travel to HKG and then to DAD. However, due to the political unrest in HKG, I will go to SIN on the same day as I land in HKG and then fly to DAD from SIN.

My booked itinerary:
SFO-HKG on SQ 1 arr HKG at 6:35am

I am thinking of buying a ticket for the following flight:
HKG-SIN SQ 861 dep HKG at 3:40pm

Questions:

1. When I check-in at SFO, the agent should tag my bags all the way to SIN per my request, correct? I am assuming that this is OK because both are SQ flights and there is certainly enough lead time for the second flight.

2. Suppose the agent at SFO cannot check my bags through. Upon arrival in HKG, I will then collect my bags and check-in again. However, since the second flight won't depart till 9 hours away, will the check-in staff at HKG make me wait till around 12:40pm (i.e., 3 hours prior to departure) to let me check-in my bags? In this case, I will have too much time to kill landside. I know that there is a PP lounge landside, but there is a 3 hour limit. Besides, this landside lounge may not be open (or may exceed capacity) due to protests in HK.

Thanks a million.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
My booked itinerary:

Questions:

1. When I check-in at SFO, the agent should tag my bags all the way to SIN per my request, correct? I am assuming that this is OK because both are SQ flights and there is certainly enough lead time for the second flight.
They will have no problems checking your bags through to SIN.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:44 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by northsideguy; Oct 6, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Hello: I planned to travel to HKG and then to DAD. However, due to the political unrest in HKG, I will go to SIN on the same day as I land in HKG and then fly to DAD from SIN.

My booked itinerary:

Questions:

Yes they will be able to check your bags through to SIN, no problems.

Out of curiosity is there a specific reason for the long layover in HKG? If you could find something at the right price/availability I'd just book SQ 1 HKG-SINb as well. Whilst there is a short connection time, it is the same plane, so any delays will not result in you missing the connection, and they will be able to through check you and issue boarding pass at SFO.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My booked itinerary:

There are 3-4 nonstop flights per day from HKG to DAD, so no need to detour via SIN (at close to 5x the direct distance).
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Pacific Aviation (the ground service operator) should be able to do so.

The question is whether they will do this or not.

2. Suppose the agent at SFO cannot check my bags through. Upon arrival in HKG, I will then collect my bags and check-in again. However, since the second flight won't depart till 9 hours away, will the check-in staff at HKG make me wait till around 12:40pm (i.e., 3 hours prior to departure) to let me check-in my bags? In this case, I will have too much time to kill landside. I know that there is a PP lounge landside, but there is a 3 hour limit. Besides, this landside lounge may not be open (or may exceed capacity) due to protests in HK.
SATS Hong Kong should be able to do so. If not, if you won't mind, you can take Airport Express to Hong Kong Station and check your baggage there.

Plaza Premium Lounges usually do not enforce the time limit, subject to availability.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody.

The reason I detour to SIN is because I want to avoid HKG. Yet, my Vietnam visa's start date limits when I can enter Vietnam. So, between arriving in Asia and DAD, I need to go somewhere.

I chose a later flight in the day, rather than SQ 1, is because: (1) I need a break from a long-haul TPAC flight, (2) I need to ensure enough lead time between the two flights, and (3) I want to try SQ's A350.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:41 am

I definitely get your reasons (1) and (3), but since SQ1 operates with the same aircraft on both legs, (2) should not be a factor
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I definitely get your reasons (1) and (3), but since SQ1 operates with the same aircraft on both legs, (2) should not be a factor
I actually don't get that.

1. If A350 was one of the purposes, OP could travel on SQ SFO-SIN nonstop, which SQ uses A350 for the route.

2. SFO-SIN is only about 2 hours more than SFO-HKG. When I agree with the rest stop, OP could do that at SIN instead.

3. I am sympathetic if OP will be traveling on award. But if rev, given the civil unrest started from early June, I actually question the necessity of booking a stop with HKG when it does not seem necessary.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:42 am

My interpretation of OP is that he already booked SFO-HKG a long time ago, and is only now tagging along HKG-SIN due to the unrest, which explains why he didn't go SFO-SIN direct, etc
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:29 am

And SQ861 is A380. Not A350?
A350 from HKG is SQ863.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
And SQ861 is A380. Not A350?
A350 from HKG is SQ863.
Thanks. I changed it to SQ 863.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
My interpretation of OP is that he already booked SFO-HKG a long time ago, and is only now tagging along HKG-SIN due to the unrest, which explains why he didn't go SFO-SIN direct, etc
Yes, you are right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.